The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2018, 06:21 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Some info on the gun and testing:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/01/08...ig-sauer-p365/

There's discussion on lube, size, etc. here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-10-1-and-12-1

Now I will get my popcorn and watch the Glock fan crew and the Anti-Glock fan crew emote at each other.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:27 PM   #27
ritepath

Hell the Shield is the G43 killer.

The 365 seems geared toward killing the Taurus G2.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:43 PM   #28
sigarms228

Looks interesting but with SIGs track record of recent new designs I would not even consider one for at least a year.

Supposedly a double stack magazine but thin near the top of the magazine to keep the important part of the pistol thin for CCW purposes.
Old January 9, 2018, 09:42 PM   #29
shootniron

Quote:
Seriously? “BRING MORE. EVERYDAY.”? Come on, you think a company like SIG would employ a marketer who took a basic English class in high school and knows the difference between the adjective “everyday” (meaning “commonplace” or “normal”) and the two-word phrase “every day” (interchangeable with “each day”).
Given the context in the paragraph below the aforementioned phrase, it is very possible that the marketing consultant meant it to mean exactly what the adjective means. The text implies that is going to be a game changer...as in it will be "commonplace" for people to be carrying it...and bringing more firepower,concealability and capability.

Quote:
BRING MORE, EVERYDAY.
Introducing the game changing P365 High-Capacity Micro-Compact. The revolutionary new concealed carry pistol that gives you more capacity, more concealability and more capability. It’s the one gun you can carry every day of the year.
Old January 9, 2018, 10:01 PM   #30
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron
Given the context in the paragraph below the aforementioned phrase, it is very possible that the marketing consultant meant it to mean exactly what the adjective means. The text implies that is going to be a game changer...as in it will be "commonplace" for people to be carrying it...and bringing more firepower,concealability and capability.
Maybe. But it seems to me that the period was the currently popular way of adding emphasis. So removing the period, which phrase makes more sense, “bring more each day”, or “bring more commonplace”? Even if the periods were actually meant to be used in the traditional sense, “Bring more. Each day.” makes a lot more sense than, “Bring more. Commonplace.”

Either way, my posts here have been off-topic so I’ll try to get them back on subject. I’m going to be interested to see this pistol in person when my shop gets some in. I’ve learned that with a gun like this, numbers on paper and pictures don’t really help much in determining size, you really have to hold it and compare it to other guns in person. For example, the Glock 42 and 43 seem just a little different-sized on paper, but in reality there’s a very noticeable size and weight difference, especially when loaded.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:02 AM   #31
jr24

Eh, too big for pocket carry (much like the Glock 43, LC9 etc) and my Glock 26 handles the small belt gun duty on the rare occasions I need deep concealment.

Don't need nothin smaller that won't fit in a pocket.

Solid pass for me.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:08 AM   #32
wmg1299

I am intrigued by the 365. It appeals to me as an alternative to the Glock 26 simply because it is slimmer. I have a Taurus PT111, and I love the dimensions. However, I am always worried about the manufacturer's past reliability issues. I switched back to carrying the 26 simply because I trust the Glock to always perform. I am more than willing to give the Sig a try, and it may be just the EDC pistol that I have been looking for.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:57 AM   #33
Fishbed77

Quote:
Idk that it is. It looks like a USP universal rail but when you go to the product page and click on Specs under Accessory Rail it lists "N/A".
Thefirearmblog.com (not really the best source for accurate news) reports this is a "slim rail for soon to be released lights and lasers".

So it is a proprietary rail. Ugh.

I'm assuming there will still be some sort of (hopefully not bulky) adapter that would allow attachment of existing accessories. Though, honestly, the role of this pistol doesn't really require accessories anyway (the Shield and Glock 43 have no accessory rails at all).
Old January 16, 2018, 06:06 AM   #34
TDL

Quote:
So it is a proprietary rail. Ugh.

I'm assuming there will still be some sort of (hopefully not bulky) adapter that would allow attachment of existing accessories. Though, honestly, the role of this pistol doesn't really require accessories anyway (the Shield and Glock 43 have no accessory rails at all).
I've handled and dry fired one at Heritage Guild in Pa which is a sig elite dealer and which had several. (FYI the street price on pre oreders is $499 to $529).

This is a very sleek smooth gun and I think Sig decided on a good compromise, by having the rail also be sleek and avoiding sharp deep lines that are perpendicular to a holster draw. Sig's design is just groves along the main axis of the gun. It looks like this will make it easer and more secure for Sig and third parties to design a specialized light and/or laser that will be more secure than attachments on other guns, but way less obtrusive than actual standard rails. You are right to point out that, of the top micro compact single stacks the vast majority of top sellers don't have any rail.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:40 AM   #35
Lohman446

Caveat: of all the Glocks out there most easily "killed" the G43 is probably it.

Every time I see a thread about a new "Glock killer" I kind of roll my eyes a little and look at specs of a firearm that, like many before it, is much more like a Glock than different and fails to differentiate itself from all the Glocks already out there and all the "Glock killers" that have come before.

I really was going to mention that here. But the size comparisons that I am seeing, coupled with the capacity, seem to indicate Sig might actually have done something different here. If you can actually gain 4 rounds in capacity with a dimensionally and functionally similar product you might have actually gained something meaningful enough to care.

Am I running out and buying it? Nope. As others have noted its suspect if its really pocket sized and the difference between this and guns I already own once it has to be carried on a belt is not enough to persuade me to run out and buy it. Still at least its something actually meaningful in the "new" offering at least when compared to what Glock is offering.
Old January 16, 2018, 01:18 PM   #36
XDforever

My EDC rotation includes a 9mm Shield, a .45 acp Shield, a 9mm XD Mod 2 subcompact, and a .45 acp XD Mod 2 subcompact. I won't be running out to purchase this new Sig as I think I have the smaller and slightly bigger EDC areas covered for a long time.

Looks like a nice gun though.

Joe
Old January 16, 2018, 10:15 PM   #37
Siggy-06

I do like the weight, design, dimensions, and capacity. I'd have to test the trigger first and foremost. I am not liking the msrp and preorder prices online($550ish yikes). With lots of compact poly competitors on the market, I think Sig is a bit late and overpriced with this latest entry.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:29 PM   #38
Model12Win

The G43 will still be much thinner and more concealable.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:55 PM   #39
5whiskey

Quote:
Every time I see a thread about a new "Glock killer" I kind of roll my eyes a little and look at specs of a firearm that, like many before it, is much more like a Glock than different and fails to differentiate itself from all the Glocks already out there and all the "Glock killers" that have come before.
Agree completely. Furthermore, without a straight up revolution in design technology we will not see something other than tweaking of sizes, safeties, action, grip angles, etc. None of those tweaks are going to kill Glock so long as they sell to LEO agencies pretty much near cost.
Old January 17, 2018, 10:39 AM   #40
Fishbed77

Quote:
Agreed. There are plenty of pistols that are objectively better than Glocks.

But the improvements are incremental, and until these designs achieve the market saturation, parts/accessory availability, and general gun-buying public awareness of Glock, none of them will be "Glock Killers."
Old January 17, 2018, 05:03 PM   #41
dreaming

The quote you guys posted left out the part where the declarant notes that this just may be the real Glock Killer.

Quote:

I really was going to mention that here. But the size comparisons that I am seeing, coupled with the capacity, seem to indicate Sig might actually have done something different here. If you can actually gain 4 rounds in capacity with a dimensionally and functionally similar product you might have actually gained something meaningful enough to care.
4 additional rounds
Rated for +P
Siglite sites
Good trigger

Like most all, I agree that know one will be able to tell for sure until they can get there hands on a 365 and take it to the range. Also if I had something that fills the bill for a small belt gun, I would probably not rush out to buy this new Sig. But since I don't have anything smaller than a P229 . . .

It it only had an external safety.
Old January 17, 2018, 05:13 PM   #42
dreaming

Quote:
The G43 will still be much thinner and more concealable.
The G43 is 26 mm (1.02 in) wide and the P365 is 27 mm (1.06 in). Does anyone really think a single millimeter is "much thinner" when you gain 4 rounds in a standard magazine, 6 in the extended one?
Old January 17, 2018, 09:49 PM   #43
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
The G43 is 26 mm (1.02 in) wide and the P365 is 27 mm (1.06 in). Does anyone really think a single millimeter is "much thinner" when you gain 4 rounds in a standard magazine, 6 in the extended one?
I see. You've made your point.
Old January 18, 2018, 07:30 AM   #44
Lohman446

Quote:
I've been thinking about this one for some time last night. The G43 really pushes the idea of a "pocket" pistol in my opinion. The G26 is 4MM wider than the G43 (30 vs 26) and 4 longer (163 vs 159). No one seems to be arguing that the G26 is a "pocket" pistol here and very few do.

So while 1MM is not a lot we are also discussing a very small window. I assume, having not held this new Sig, that we are not talking 1MM worth of safeties or controls on the side but 1MM of full width. I like what Sig has done with this at least from the reports I am hearing - design around a mag specification. The rail doesn't concern me - I would think anyone mounting anything to a rail generally does so with a larger pistol. Its interesting in discussion to see where this goes for others. As noted I'm not rushing out to buy one because I already have the niche of "oversized pocket pistol / small belt gun" covered with a P938.

Last edited by Lohman446; January 18, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:39 AM   #45
brian33x51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
...I have a Taurus PT111, and I love the dimensions. However, I am always worried about the manufacturer's past reliability issues...
Has the pistol ever failed on you or showed alarming signs of wear? I have one of these and the only failure I've ever seen was a limp wrist by my 14 year old daughter. I only had one of the bum trigger safeties that "hicupped" during the pull. I recently replaced the trigger on mine (25usd total shipped) and now its so good I'm considering switching over to it as my EDC.
Old January 18, 2018, 03:03 PM   #46
presspics

Why does every new gun have to be a "killer" of an existing gun? There's room out there for all of them...All guns matter!!!
Old January 18, 2018, 03:21 PM   #47
TunnelRat

There is room but there is a finite number of customers with a finite amount of money.

The next 10 years or so are going to be interesting. Manufacturers now are making essentially the same pistol with generally minor differences between them. Getting enough of the pie to stay afloat could be interesting, especially in periods such as now when there isn't a panic to drive sales.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 18, 2018, 03:47 PM   #48
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
There is room but there is a finite number of customers with a finite amount of money.

The next 10 years or so are going to be interesting. Manufacturers now are making essentially the same pistol with generally minor differences between them. Getting enough of the pie to stay afloat could be interesting, especially in periods such as now when there isn't a panic to drive sales.
Hasn't it always been kind of like that though? For most of the 20th Century, DA revolvers were the bulk of guns sold. In the 1980's, just about every manufacturer produced TDA double stack autos. It is those minor differences that might make the differences in sales and ultimately, success.
Old January 18, 2018, 04:38 PM   #49
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
Hasn't it always been kind of like that though? For most of the 20th Century, DA revolvers were the bulk of guns sold. In the 1980's, just about every manufacturer produced TDA double stack autos. It is those minor differences that might make the differences in sales and ultimately, success.
Perhaps that why the Shield is so popular. People who are completely new to handguns (like me) have heard of Sig and Glock, but have always known Smith and Wesson. And we weren't paying attention, or had any interest, when the locks were added to the revolvers. S&W was the one name associated with guns, particularly handguns.

So, when looking for the first CC handgun, you look at the names you know, read some reviews, and look at price. S&W is the name you know best, the reviews on the Shield are positive, and the price is lower. Easy decision.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:13 PM   #50
dreaming

The trouble with easy decisions is all too often they are not the right decision. I have to agree with Lohman that if you already have a large pocket pistol/small belt gun there is not reason to run out to snap up a p365. I, however, only have a rather large belt gun, a Sig p229, and am in the market for a large pocket/small belt gun.