The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2018, 01:22 PM   #1
ed308

Labradar Data

For those that have a Labradar, how are you handling the data generated by the device? Looking for some suggestions for how to store the data on my laptop and review as needed.

Last edited by ed308; January 14, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The files are in CSV format, named by shot string, so you open them with Excel. If you don't have Excel you can download the free Apache Open Office Suite from openoffice.org. It's spreadsheet program will open CSV files, too. In the spreadsheet you can organize things any way you want, though if you are not familiar with Excel or other spreadsheets, there will be a learning curve and a lot of YouTube training to watch.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 14, 2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Doublehelix3216

I also use Excel, and wrote a little macro to format the data to my liking after opening the raw data in Excel. Here is a screen shot.

My macro actually RECALCULATES all of calculations in real time, rather than just using the data that comes out of Labradar. I do this because I have found times where there might be one shot that is way out of whack, and might have come from a false trigger or a faulty reading, and just by deleting that shot string, all of the data gets recalculated.

I can copy from A6 to B20 for data that I copy into forum posts like this, and then I can copy from L15 to Q15 and paste that data into my Reloading Log spreadsheet that I keep with all of my reloading data.

I you want a copy of the macro, PM me. I will not get into the Excel training business, so only request this if you know how to load and use a macro. I actually added a button to my toolbar at the top so that after I open the CSV file, I just click on the button, and a few seconds later... VOILA!!! Done!

It is pretty slick, and it is completely customized for my needs.

You can also create one of these on your own if you know how.

Here is how the formatted data looks after running the macro in Excel:

Old January 14, 2018, 12:52 PM   #4
ed308

I can copy from A6 to B20 for data that I copy into forum posts like this, and then I can copy from L15 to Q15 and paste that data into my Reloading Log spreadsheet that I keep with all of my reloading data.

Interesting. I'm think I'll want a copy of your SS. I'll have to get my wife to look at this post (an accountant in a previously life). I'm an amateur when it comes to Excell. I know just enough to get around a SS for my work, but not well versed on settling up an Excel SS.

Does all the data collected from a range trip get loaded into the your SS then you erase the information from the card in preparation for a new range session? Or do you leave the date on the card.

My big question is how to handle all the data generated by the Labradar and whether to clear the card after each range session or leave the data on the card.
Old January 14, 2018, 12:58 PM   #5
ed308

I sp to my wife and she knows how to create and use Excel marcos. Uses them in her work everyday evidently. I'll send a PM later. Thanks!
Old January 14, 2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

You don't need to empty the card until its full. When you use the USB port on your PC, the Labradar looks likes a removable USB drive, like a thumb drive. In Windows use the This PC window to see all your drives. In there, you can see how full it is.

CSV files are comma delimited text data, so they are pretty compact and you may find you never need to empty the card. If you do, they are cheap enough now that you can keep the old one on file and start a new one. Since volatile memory can sometimes fail spontaneously, it might not be a bad idea to periodically copy the files to CD's or DVD's for longer term storage.

The only reason I can see for emptying the card would be to force the string count to start over. But always having a unique string number really will make it easier to keep your records separated. You just want to keep an Excel file log somewhere showing which string was which load. You can include columns for the date, time, place fired, temperature, RH, barometric pressure and wind speed and notes or comments.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:13 PM   #7
ed308

Thanks. Seems like there's advantages to keeping all the data on the card or moving the data off the card. I do keep a field book with my Labradar to keep track of the of string details. I'll eventually figure out what works best for use of the Labradar.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

My personal take would be never to move it off the card, but to make DVD backup copies of what is on the card.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Doublehelix3216

I have had a few requests for the macro, which is fine, but you guys need to give me your email address!!! I can't guess where to send it to!!! LOL!
Old January 16, 2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Guys and Gals,

If you click on Douglehelix3216's name on the left side of the post, you will see he has the option turned on to allow email from the forum. If you click on the item in that list to email him through the system, the system will send the email to his registration email address, and your email address will appear in that email so he can reply to it. The reason you can email him through the system but not get his email addy directly is to prevent spam bots from harvesting member email addresses. But once you've emailed him through the system and he responds from his email account, you will both have each other's email addresses.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:25 PM   #11
ed308

Got the macro. Thanks Douglehelix3216. Won't mess with it till the weekend due to heavy work schedule this week.