The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Inspector3711

I must have finished my first smelt when I was 7 or 8... They were smoked but I like them fried or pickled as well...
Old April 30, 2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Joat

Quote:
What is a good source of pure lead?? The local hardware store states they have no source for it anymore.
Try commercial roofers. I just bought 500+ lbs of lead flashing from a commercial roofing company. It comes in rolls about 2ft wide. The first 2 layers on the roll were oxidized and beat up, but they melted just fine. The inside of the rolls were still shiny and once meted there was very little to skim off the melt.

Joat
Old April 30, 2009, 05:18 PM   #28
QBall45

I am happy with my cast bullets!

Man is this fun. Am I glad that I started casting my own. Just checked with the local shop. Winchester White Box 45 ACP is at 45.99 for 100. That is way too high.

May start looking for an electric pot for casting from rather than the frying pan on the grill burner.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:51 AM   #29
QBall45

Picked up a LEE production IV pot last night. I will let ya know later today what I think of it.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:39 AM   #30
Gbro

Joat,
I will give that a try. Was the price you paid relative to scrap price or was it the market value of the flashing?

Thanks for the tip
Old May 2, 2009, 04:38 PM   #31
QBall45

That new pot I bought sure works nice. Its a bit on the small side. Wish it were a 20# rather than a 10#. But, you know that ya buy what ya can get right now. It heats up fast and pours very smooth.