The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Stillhunter

ATR 100

Did the atr 100s have 2 different designed triggers?
Found an aftermarket assembly at a great price, but it says atr100 2nd design or 4x4.
Wasn,t aware of this and after 3 weeks of no response from mossberg or the company that made the trigger,thought i would give it a try here.
My serial# is BA100681
Any info would be appreciated.
Old December 25, 2017, 01:55 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The ATR 100 has an adjustable almost 2 stage trigger. So did the 4X4. There's no mention anywhere of a different trigger. Timney triggers are the same for ATR's, 4X4's and MVP's, but go by the action length.
Old December 25, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Stillhunter

My trigger is not adjustable,this is why i,m interested in an aftermarket.
Old December 26, 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Somebody change it? Supposed to be adjustable from the factory.
Who made the trigger?
The Timney runs $129.74 and goes by the action length.(.308 is a short action. .30-06 a long.) It's adjustable from 1.5 to 4lbs. but 1.5 is waaaaay too light for a hunting rifle.
Old December 26, 2017, 11:39 PM   #5
Stillhunter

No one has changed it,but i would like to.
It,s one of the first ATRs,before the LBA trigger system.
Old December 28, 2017, 02:01 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...It's one of the first ATRs..." Not if it's a 4X4. However, it appears the trigger group comes off by removing one screw.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/mossberg_100atr_manual.pdf
Old December 28, 2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Stillhunter

E-mail from mossberg,says there is a 1st and 2nd design,mine is the 1st.But they didn,t tell me what the difference was,or if they are interchangeable.
It looks to me like the area of the mounting screw and pin have been shortened on the 2nd design,but i,m just guessing.
For $50 i might just buy it and find out the hard way. Thanks
Old January 4, 2018, 09:16 PM   #8
Stillhunter

Just an update on the trigger for my atr 100.The manufacture of the after market trigger finally sent me an e-mail and i quote,[We stop making triggers for Mossberg rifles,because they have several ways of mounting the assembly to the receiver.It got to the point we could not instruct customer which one to purchase.]Ok with that being said i decided not to take a chance on the aftermarket trigger.
I took a look at my owners manual and sure enough,it shows a travel/sear adj. on the back and a pull weight on the front,just like the one that T.O,Heir had posted.I bought the rifle new at Walmart about 10 yrs. ago.Then why do i not have any adjustments on mine? Guess the aftermarket guy answered that,MOSSBERG.
Well after looking at my manual,it occur to me i,ve seen this before.Took the stock off my Howa 1500 and there it was,only mounted to the receiver different.Actually took the atr trigger and mounted it on the 1500,no problems,cycled the bolt,fired and safety all worked fine.But you can,t put the 1500 trigger on the atr.
So i did more research and found that you can make it better by putting a bic lighter spring in it,but i went one or 2 better.I took a 4-mile round trip to my local hardware store,bought 2 small set screws with nuts, and a small brass wood insert nut and about 2hrs. later i now have a fully functional,adjustable and safe atr 100 trigger,with a nice crisp,no creep,3-pound pull.Cost less than $10.