The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2011, 07:51 PM   #26
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca

Philosophical question: How do they ask the rats if they have tinnitus?
Quote from the article linked by Sundown Rider
Quote:

Though it isn't possible to evaluate the subjective experience of rats, this gap impairment has been taken as an indicator of tinnitus.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:09 AM   #27
BlueTrain

The ringing in my ears does not amount to suffering or, in the quaint words of nurses, discomfort. But I am conscious of it. It doesn't seem to affect my ability to hear things but if it did, I probably wouldn't know. But as it happens, modern life comes with enough humming, buzzing and general background noise that it is of no concern. The only thing missing these days in an office environment is the sound of a typewriter.

The ringing itself is so curious as to be worthy of description, although it is hard to describe. There seems to be multiple sounds, some steady, other varying, and as I mentioned in another post, sometimes everything seems louder. I'm 65, by the way, and my army training was in artillery. Funny when I think about it but the ringing sounds almost the same as the hearing test they give you in the army.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:00 AM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I do notice temporary improvement from the method in the link.

My theory is that it's all in what your brain adapts to hearing.

Cover your ears with your palms and notice the change in the ringing... does it seem louder? Mine does. Now do the "drumming" technique in the link. That's pretty loud too, right?
Do this long enough, 40-50 times, and your brain adapts to this volume level.
When you remove your hands, it "seems" quieter because you have adapted to the loud noise. Within a few minutes, or less, your brain readapts and the ringing returns... at least mine does.
I suppose some sort of permanent adaptation could happen if you keep doing this, and I'll try it myself, but I doubt it.
This seems like one of those "it works if you truly believe" kind of things.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:21 AM   #29
MLeake

The placebo effect is real, if not quantifiable. IE, even if things shouldn't work, they sometimes will, if the subject believes they will.

So, since this method doesn't cost anything, and I can't see how it would do any harm, I see nothing wrong with trying it.

If it works, great.

If it doesn't, it at least shouldn't have made anything worse.

The only time the placebo effect is bad, is when it masks something for which there is a valid, and necessary, treatment.
Old December 21, 2017, 03:43 PM   #30
almoore87

gave the supplements a shot

Tinnitus is so confusing and my doctor has never had any solid answers as to how to alleviate the issue. All my ENT told me basically is to try various methods because you never know what might work. I gave LipoFlavonoid a try because of its 60 day money back guarantee. Definitely did not see results in the beginning but by the end of the 2 month period I have definitely felt a noticeable improvement, evidenced by my ability to sleep again. The ringing sound hasn't quite disappeared but it has vastly improved and the supplement is now part of my daily regimen. Worth giving it a shot even if it's your last hope, because it just might work for you. Might not, but it definitely could.
Old December 21, 2017, 06:03 PM   #31
Mike38

Okay, I just tried it. "Drummed" the back of my head 10 times. IT WORKED! But only lasted about 10 seconds. Oh well.
Old December 21, 2017, 06:37 PM   #32
Evan Thomas

Reviving a silly, six year old thread to discuss an entirely different remedy serves no useful purpose, so... closed.