The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 6, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
jakeg823

neighbors got robbed

Well last night my roommate was out walking her dog, and shot back in the door as quick as possible to tell me there was a guy in front of our mailbox staring at the house, so I grabbed my 1911 and put it in my waist band to keep it out of sight, and as soon as i stepped out the front door he saw me and started walking back down the street. I excused it at the time, and told my roommate he probably just was walkin down the road and paused cuz she said he had his phone out, and i know how bad I am at texting and walking.

So I forgot all about it until today, my girlfriend and I were outside and our new nextdoor neighbor walked over and told us that she had been robbed saturday night. She said she was outside mowing the grass and saw some guy walk by her house several times and making eye contact, and it gave her the creeps, but she didnt have in her contacts so she couldnt get a good look at him, and while she was out mowing he came in their side door, locked her dog in a closet(a rather large terrier, that has already tried to take a bite out of my @$$ when they first moved in), then he stole her purse and her boyfriends AK47.

We were all out of town for the weekend, and her boyfriend was at work. But this has me wondering if my house could be next. I would hope he's not dumb enough to hit the house right next door to the one he just robbed, but then again, he had the balls to rob the house w/ her in the backyard. Until further notice though my house is on lockdown, the doors will always be locked and latched, my bike is locked(forks and brake), and if i'm going outside then i'm locking the door behind me even if its for a few minutes. This may push my plan to buy a new pistol up a little sooner, just still waiting on the money though. I'm also really wanting my concealed carry permit, so that'll mean either a ultralite snubby or a 1911 w/ a 3" barrel as well(leaning towards just a taurus ultralite .38(i know i know its a taurus but i've had nothing but great experience with them) and if i go the more expensive 1911 route then i'll probably get a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry)
Old October 6, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Christchild

I'm sorry to hear about those events!!! My house was severely burglarized in August 2008 then again in March 2009. The 2nd burglary was the same "M.O.", so I know it was the same guy both times. They caught him after the 1st, but he got away with the 2nd one.

If You've got guns already, have a security system installed. They're limited but they offer a litl bit of a deterent. If I had a security system before the 1st burglary, it would have turned out alot different, but I didn't have one, had been gone for 2 weeks (still had 1 week to go before I went home) and was 80 miles offshore in the Gulf when it happened, so the punk knew he had plenty time. I never knew the guy, but these thieves pattern You.

With a LowLife that's got that much "courage" (for lack of a better word), keep things locked down as tight as possible, and definitely get a decent quality Home Security System. Thieves are "good" at what they do, and they're getting better, but an alarm system shortens their available time.

That 1st burglary (due to the intensity/extent of it) liked to drove me out of my mind. My house didn't feel like my home anymore. It's QUITE a personal violation.
Old October 7, 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
omkhan

How did the dog let itself locked up by a stranger? without barking a lot or something like that?
Old October 7, 2009, 12:51 AM   #4
koolminx

Hard to hear stuff when you're mowing the lawn with your contacts out...

Seriously though it's likely that the dog always barks and she was mowing on top of that...

What a bugger loosing your AK47!
Old October 7, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Kyo

this makes me think that the guy was there for a bit looking for anything. Purse and an AK? was the AK right beside the purse? it seems random
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old October 7, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
jakeg823

i honestly dont know how he got that dog locked up w/o it drawing some blood cuz i was just out grilling one evening and it tried to jump me when they were out walking it. i'm assuming she just didnt hear it over the mower, but then again other than when it was snarling at me i've never heard the dog make a sound.

I dont know where the ak was compared to the purse, i know the ak was propped up against a dresser from the way she was talking, and he'd had it out showing a friend the night before and left the loaded mag on the dresser, she said apparently he didnt notice it cuz it was still there.

she said all 3 bedroom doors were open and thats how she realized something was going on, so there is no telling how long he'd been there and been gone by the time she realized. she said she didnt know her dog was in the closet till the police came in w/ guns drawn and yelling at the top of their lungs, then it started barking, but before that she thought it was gone too.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:02 PM   #7
koolminx

I'll bet that they can find that AK in the woods around the golf course...
Old October 7, 2009, 02:53 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While in pest control, I had a deputy customer who was burglerized as he mowed the back yard. He had his garage open doing the lawn care. From over the privacy fence he said he saw a guy carrying a 5 gallon water jug just like his with about the same amount of change as his... Sure enuff it was his... Lucky for deputy, the guy didn't go into the dining room where his service belt and weapon were hung over a chair
Brent
Old October 7, 2009, 04:04 PM   #9
jakeg823

Quote:
I'll bet that they can find that AK in the woods around the golf course...
i'm sure they'll find it at the next crime scene on my street actually...cuz a couple weeks ago the gas station not even a half a mile down my street was robbed at screwdriver point(but he was caught) ha...apparently they're getting ballsy around here
Old October 7, 2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Burgled, not robbed.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:55 AM   #11
stingerspray

Robbing is when the bg scares or forces people to give up the targetted posessions. Its considered burglary when the theif steals on the downlow, not in the presence of the property owners.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:42 PM   #12
jakeg823

ha thanks for clarifying.....
Old October 11, 2009, 09:44 PM   #13
jakeg823

and i would love to get a security alarm, but its a rental house, and i don't see my land lord paying for it, and i have a hard enough time getting rent and utilities out of my roommate, so i can just imagine how impossible it would be to get the monthly fee for a security alarm
Old October 12, 2009, 06:19 AM   #14
mkim1120

robbers should all burn!!
Old October 12, 2009, 07:17 AM   #15
output

Re: How did the dog let itself get locked in the closet?

Very interesting question and I’m a dog trainer so I’ll take a stab at it.

Here is a possibility as to what might have happened…I have friends that are police K9 handlers that have had experiences with this…even myself.

It’s one thing to attempt to cross a boundary when a dog is already guarding it or aware that you are even next to or near one (let’s says a fence, widow, or doorway). The dog might show aggressive behavior, teeth, bark, or even bite… if you were to cross it and I would not test it. But, often what my friends have seen is that when people enter onto/into property and encounter or surprise a dog (once they are well inside of their territory) some dogs don’t react…

The theory is that dogs are real good at protecting the boundary lines of their territory and there are often two boundary lines, the edge of the property and the boundaries to the home. Dogs get lots of practice protecting these boundary lines and I think the boundary lines act as a “que” for their protectiveness unless the dog has had prior training protecting the inner territory of the home. So once people cross these lines the dogs just follow them around and do not react unless the intruders react (fast movement, aggression, etc...)
Old October 18, 2009, 02:16 AM   #16
DeathRodent

In Los Angeles if your alarm goes off and the cops go to your house and you are not home you get a $90 fine.

I know they have the fine because they get a lot of false alarms but doesn't it make sense that someone will try to burglarize while I am gone? And of course they'll be gone when the cops finally get there.

Anyway, thats why I bought a big safe.

Everything small enough to carry away that is worth more than $100 is in that safe. And its a real safe a TL 30 second best peice of mind I ever purchased.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:10 AM   #17
Slopemeno

Listen to the scanner in a metropolitan area some time..business and home alarms going off constantly. I'm surprised it's *only* $90.00.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:04 PM   #18
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In Los Angeles if your alarm goes off and the cops go to your house and you are not home you get a $90 fine.
It's a little more complicated than that, DR. LA requires a permit for an alarm system, monitored or not. There are no "freebies" there where false alarms are concerned.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about LA alarm ordinances.

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Some never charge a fee, but by far, most allow "X" number of false alarms before charging a service fee or fining someone.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie