The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 13, 2013, 12:01 AM   #26
myusername

LOL about the shark jumping into the boat! We had a similar experience, we'd caught about a 6 foot blue off SoCal and were in the process of getting it to the loading gate when a swell washed it right into the cockpit.

That really ****** the shark off and he started flopping around like a bull gone wild. My one brave buddy ran into the cabin and slammed the door, I climbed up the ladder to the flybridge because I was pretty sure that sharks might break through the cabin door (or wall) but I didn't think they could climb ladders!

Our psycho commercial fisherman buddy grabbed a bowie knife and jumped on the sharks back and stabbed the shark like there was no tomorrow! Stab! Stab! Stab! Blood everywhere! Just him and the shark like Ahab and Moby Dick in a mortal battle. Shark lost.

That guy later went to jail for several years for an unrelated assault and battery. Can't say I was surprised. LOL

What was the question?

Oh yeah boat gun.

Just take whatever gun you want that you don't value a whole lot. Stainless will rust slower.

We used .357 or .308's on sharks. A .22 would just make most sharks laugh.

I wanted one of those Mossberg "stainless" shotguns until I found out they weren't stainless but some kind of finish.

I operated a tow boat for awhile and kept my .357 Smith in a double plastic bag in the console. It was fine.

Last edited by myusername; June 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:03 AM   #27
ClydeFrog

Robar/Mossberg...

I'm not Mr. Firearms-Expert , but I think the popular Mossberg Mariner line is in fact the Robar NP3 from www.RobarGuns.com . They just avoid using the NP3 gun treatment name.
Both colors seem almost exact matches.
I owned 2 Beretta 96D law enforcement surplus NP3 pistols. I'd suggest that or Metalife SS C to any serious gunner.

ClydeFrog
Old June 13, 2013, 02:06 PM   #28
Andrewh

I had been thinking about this same thing.
at first I thought a glock might not be a bad idea. polymer regardless.
then I realized (depending on what you are doing it for) it might not be the best choice. harder to conceal vs carrying in a bag.

while I hate how the lcp shoots(recoil and trigger pull), it is fairly inexpensive, and very light and easy to conceal. not the best choice, but better than a pointy stick.

or perhaps the new beretta nano, or the newer 380 ruger coming out.

as for water proof, a bag is a good start, but I was thinking the coating they were putting on phones to make them water proof.

not sure how they would stand up to shooting. but it would be interesting for the small parts to see if it could prevent rusting.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:14 PM   #29
L_Killkenny

Contrary to belief, even blued guns don't automatically fall apart on contact with water. I keep a lawn-trimmer line pull string, oil, rag and patches in my kit in case things go sideways when I'm on a float/camping trip. Of coarse, when on the water my handgun is only OUTSIDE of my waterproof gear bag if I'm hunting. Deliverance this is not.............

My friends and I have spent long hours over campfires and refreshments debating the perfect canoeing gun. Cartridge and brand discussions a like. Personally I'm a revolver guy but even I have to admit the tool-less breakdown of a semi has big advantages. Poly is a plus, stainless a plus too. Other than that the same dang cartridge/brand wars are the same weather you are at home, in the canoe, in the woods or in the hood. There's probably 10 such discussions in the last 10 pages of this forum, go read them if you want your head to hurt.
Old June 14, 2013, 01:30 PM   #30
SmokinSigs357

Surprised nobody has mentioned the SIG P226 MK25 Navy Seals model.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #31
Iron Man

How about this bad boy? I have one, but hate to shoot it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jKU6DN_7w
Old June 15, 2013, 06:29 AM   #32
hAkron

Glock is a good choice. Also, take advantage of the fact that it has a lanyard loop and tie it to you.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:27 AM   #33
ClydeFrog

SIG Pistols, lanyards.....

For the record, I was going to bring up the SEAL Mark 25 P226, the M11/P228, and the old stand-by in SE Asia & SpecWar units in the 1970s/1980s/1990s, the S&W model 66 .357magnum with black treatments(to reduce glare in covert ops).
They don't have pistol leashes or lanyards.
I don't think the member wants a $800.00 semi auto pistol to sink into the drink.

CF
Old August 21, 2013, 08:28 PM   #34
SpareMag

Some $400 .45 - Tisas or something similar? It should shoot if needed. If it rusts up, you are not out a fortune.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #35
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Shooter
How well are these fancy SA's going to cycle in water? 686 all the way.
Pretty well, actually. I know a Glock will fire and cycle just fine underwater. After several shots the striker channel will fill up with water and you'll start getting light primer strikers, but a set of $10 maritime spring cups will fix that.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:24 AM   #36
daddyo

Without hesitation your Glock 23.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:24 AM   #37
Beretta686

Quote:
For the record, I was going to bring up the SEAL Mark 25 P226, the M11/P228, and the old stand-by in SE Asia & SpecWar units in the 1970s/1980s/1990s, the S&W model 66 .357magnum with black treatments(to reduce glare in covert ops).
They don't have pistol leashes or lanyards.
My MK25 has a slot to attach a lanyard, but it's not something you can directly attach to with a regular clip and 550 cord, like on an M9 or a 1911.

But Gemtech makes one that works with Sigs.

The MK25 certainly is an option. It's a great gun and it's my HD/Zombocalypse pistol, plus it's explicitly designed for use around water (though the sights will develop surface rust), but I personally would go with a Glock for the water, as I've never seen one rust. .

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

Last edited by Beretta686; August 22, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:46 AM   #38
Bartholomew Roberts

From personal experience, both the Glock and the S&W Model 66 (and later 686) are good water guns. You can swim with them and they'll still work fine. Just clean them at the end of the day.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:01 AM   #39
Skans

Glock 17. I'm not a Glock fanboy, far from it in fact. However that's what the Glock 17 is made for.

Quote:
We used .357 or .308's on sharks. A .22 would just make most sharks laugh.
I've always wanted to see a shark laugh - maybe shooting them with .22LR would be fun for the whole family...and the shark!