The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
American Red Neck

Sig M400 Question

I am wondering if I can swap out the barrel on my new sig m400 AFTER it wears out. Do I just take off barrel nut, swap barrels, headspace, that it?
Old May 11, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Fishbed77

You will usually want to replace the bolt on an AR when you replace the barrel. You'll also need to remove/reinstall the gas block & gas tube.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:56 PM   #3
sailskidrive

You will get bored of that gun and buy another or second AR long before you shoot out that barrel....

I see you asking a lot of questions on the forum. Stop worrying and go out and shoot that thing.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old May 13, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
American Red Neck

I am not worrying at all. I just seek a lot of info because I have never and will never pay a gun smith to work on my guns. I want to be a gun smith and have been studying the trade for about a year now. I started with ak's and now build those from scratch so i wanted to move on to the ar platform.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Nathan

If it uses regular AR construction, that is pretty much it. I don't know what if anything might be Sig's own design in there.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Metal god

Quote:
You will get bored of that gun and buy another or second AR long before you shoot out that barrel
^^^THIS^^^

I to have noticed you asking many questions . This is a good thing and feel free to do so . It appears you are willing to spend some money on all this stuff and that makes me think you will be building your own in less then 6 months . Here is the funny part . The gun you build will cost way less then your sig and be way better and you will forget all about it . As you start to have 2 , 3 or even more ARs you will shoot more but each gun will be used less and less because you will be splitting time between the firearms . I read you bought a BCG the other day . I recommend you use that as your starting point for your first build .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 15, 2013, 12:30 AM   #7
American Red Neck

I am not going to build one any time soon. I am happy with just one but I want to make sure that when I need to and when the time comes I will be able to completely rebuild the sig ar. so far it seems the sig m400 is a great gun but i will soon replace every internal part bcg and barrel first. just wanted to make sure everything was to spec and i would be able to do this. and yes, i am willing to put some money into this gun but this gun only.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Metal god

COM-ON build one

do it

doo IT !

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 15, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
the sig m400 is a great gun but i will soon replace every internal part bcg and barrel first. just wanted to make sure everything was to spec and i would be able to do this. and yes, i am willing to put some money into this gun but this gun only.
Sounds like you should leave the M400 alone and use all those parts you want to buy to build a new gun.

You're talking about replacing all internal parts, the barrel, and the BCG. All you need to complete a new rifle would be upper & lower receivers, a receiver extension/stock, and a few assorted parts to have a second AR!
Old May 15, 2013, 08:58 AM   #10
American Red Neck

Ya......ehhh maayyyybbee....

anyways about the barrel on the sig m400...probobly a good idea to stick with one company and get both bcg and barrel from whichever company that may be?
Old May 15, 2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
anyways about the barrel on the sig m400...probobly a good idea to stick with one company and get both bcg and barrel from whichever company that may be?
Shouldn't matter as long as all parts are to spec. Many high-quality barrel manufacturers don't necessarily make bolts.