The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
bamiller

Issues withTaurus PT145. Need input please.

Took my Taurus PT145 to the range today and while shooting the magazine frequently disengaged and slid partially out of the grip. Thought maybe I was hitting the mag release so made a point to watch that. Any idea what could cause this?

Also shot horrible. Shot several low and left and some didn't hit the paper at 15 feet! I bought it new a few months ago so I have shot it before and, although not as accurate as my upper end pistols, it didn't shoot bad. Wasn't me either today as I shot great with my Sig SP2022 and a buddy shot the PT145 with the same results.

Please no Taurus jokes and/or bashing. I have already read them all and am just trying to get some honest feedback on what the issues could be.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Adamantium

If you look up the magazine well you should see a spring that holds the magazine catch in. Taking that out and inspecting both it and the spring for damage would be a good place to start. Shouldn't be too much trouble with a 90 degree dental pick.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unless you have specific advice on the particular issue that the OP is having with his gun, do not post in this thread.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:13 AM   #4
wpsdlrg

Magazine drop-out is a fairly common problem with the PT-1xx Taurus pistols. IF not caused by inadvertent contact with the mag release button (and THAT is the MOST common cause), it is usually one (or more) of three possibilities: either the mag catch is cruded up and not engaging with the slot in the mags completely......or, the mag(s) are poorly made (the slot for the mag catch is off location just a bit and the catch doesn't engage completely.....or, the mag catch is defective. Defective mag catches are not uncommon on these (the part is plastic, I believe).

The best course of action would be to address these three possibilities in order.

So, first clean the mag catch area thoroughly. Carb cleaner, sprayed through the little straw that comes with the can, will tend to flush out any crud. You can reach inside the mag well with a toothbrush (or similar brush) and scrub a bit as well, after spraying, to dislodge any gunk.

Next, check your mags for fit. Snap in a mag, then wiggle it somewhat violently. If it pops loose (without pressing the release), then either the mag is bad, or the catch. Check to be sure that the mag goes all of the way up into the well....and that you get a solid "click" when the mag is seated all of the way. If the mag(s) are not solidly clicking in, then it COULD be that the catch slot in them is off position a bit, or burrs could be causing the catch not to fully engage. If you detect any burrs on the edges of the slot in the mag, these can be removed with a small file. If the slots are off just a bit, that can be addressed with a file as well, though I wouldn't try it unless you understand what you are doing. Also, check to see that the mag base plates are not interfering with the mag going all the way in - if that is the problem, then a bit of sandpaper will fix that, easily.

Lastly, the mag catch could be defective or broken. Shine a light down into the mag well from the top. The mag catch (the important bit) will be on the right side (opposite the release button) and should look complete (have a straight edge) and not worn. You can test your mags again, by inserting a mag with the follower and spring removed but base plate ON, then checking with a light from the top of the mag well (through the top of the mag body)....to see if the mag catch seems to engage fully. The mag catch can be removed from the gun for inspection, as well. I've never done it, so I can't advise you on how, though.

The last step, if you don't feel competent to address these possibilities, or if you can't find the problem and correct it - is to send the gun back to Taurus for repair.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Ace_Breaker

This is the gun that ended any relationship I will ever have with that company again. I had similar issues that I brought up here. I learner from the experience and now buy quality handguns.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
scottycoyote

i have a 3rd gen pt145 and its always run like a champ. I have no input on the mag release problem, but as for shooting low my gun does that as well (ive seen this problem in other posts about this gun as well). Its an easy fix, either bring up the front post higher in the sight picture, or gently sand down the front post a bit (or have a smith change it out/alter it for you).
Old August 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
ritepath

My gen 3 is pretty darned accurate and I've never had the mag problem you describe.

Mine has other mag problems....good luck with the cure for your problems.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
bamiller

Got to thinking about it and decided I'd send back to Taurus to repair. Only has about 300 rounds through it and thought why should I have to mess with it. Went back today. Hopefully it will come back repaired in a reasonable length of time.
Old September 6, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
bamiller

An update:

I got on Taurus' website, submitted a work order, and shipped the pistol back on 8/20/12. Received it back today (9/6/12), which is a two week and 3 day turnaround. Report included wih the pistol said the "mag release worn" and" barrel has irregular grooves". Both were replaced at no charge. Pretty impressed with customer service. Will shoot this weekend to see if it is indeed repaired.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:09 AM   #10
pete2

Good luck. Some Tauri work maybe yours will.
Old September 9, 2012, 06:28 PM   #11
bamiller

Well...took the PT145 to the range today to test. Shot a lot more accurate than prior to sending it back for repair but the mag popped out and a round stovepiped about every other shot from round 4 through round 54. Going back to Taurus again.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:00 PM   #12
ritepath

My mags never fall out...they just jam.