The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Prof Young

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Loaders:

So, I'm learning to use my Lee Prefect Powder measure and pretty much like it a lot. I did the "break in" thing according to the instructions where you run a powder through it to get it "lubricated." Now it seems like the first five or so loads get progressively lighter. I'll start at 7.4 grains and five loads later it is down to 7.1. So I re adjust and it stays pretty consistent for the remainder. I'm checking the weight every five or ten loads. Anybody else run into this?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old June 22, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
a7mmnut

Powder contains graphite. You can buy raw graphite at your local hardware store. It's great to lube anything that needs to absolutely stay dry--especially your cases.

-7-
Old June 22, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
jcwit

No! Mine measures consistant, how full are you filling the hopper, I never let mine get below approx 1/2 full. Not sure but this may have something to do with this.
Old June 22, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Striker1

Lots of guys recommend tapping the handle at the end of the up or down stroke to keep the powder settled. The key is to be consistent in your stroke.

Works for me
Old June 22, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
dacaur

Right tapping is the key. Start with the handle in the UP position. Bring the handle down and give two firm taps at the base of the handle, get the case under the spout and bring the handle up, then before removing the case give two more firm taps.... Also do keep the hopper at least 2/3 full at all times....
Old June 22, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Prof Young

May not be the measure that's at fault.

Loaders:

Thanks. I am starting to think that it is my scale that is at fault. I'm using an electronic Hornady scale. I suspect it it too susceptible to conditions. Thinking maybe I need to look into getting a balance type scale.

Live Well, be safe
Prof Young
Old June 22, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
dacaur

Ah.... That could be a problem. where are you loading? climate controlled or a garage/shed? Big temp changes will mess with a scale, like turning on a heater or AC when you go in to reload, or bringing the scale from inside to a garage/shed with a big temp difference... You want to let it acclimate to a stable temp for 30 min if thats the case. You also want to make sure no fans or hvac is blowing on it, that would mess with a beam scale too....

Lees beam scale can be difficult to use, but once you get it down, its very accurate and at a reasonable price. I trust my lee beam scale over my electronic any day. If they ever do not agree, I calibrate my electric, and just like that, they agree...

When working up loads, the electric is easier to use, but when working with a known weight once the load workup is done, I always use the beam scale.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8
mohr308

at the top and bottom of each pull I give mine a double tap on the front of the drum. Also when Im first dialing in a specific measure, I always run 3-4 throws first then take the next one and check my weight then re-adjust if needed. mine has been very consistent. oh yeah, my first rookie mistake was not having the hopper lined up correctly and on the upstroke the lever was hitting the side of the hopper
Old June 25, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Mike-Mat

I turn off all the fans and close the door before taking any powder measurements on the scale. My Lee Powder measure is usually +/- .1 gr.

Mike
Old June 25, 2012, 09:50 PM   #10
nikdfish

Consistency is crucial to using the PPM. With or without the tapping, each load thrown should involve the same pattern & timing. I sometimes find myself literally counting out a rhythm to the sequence. It also helps to add a baffle at the bottom of the hopper to keep the powder weight pressing into the discharge area more consistent. Aluminum from a soda can works fine & can be cut to shape with scissors then bent to fit.

With fine powder, like H110, I frequently see consistent drops that look to be within 0.02 grains of the target amount when not dead on. After getting the drop dialed in, I'll check every tenth round or so to double check that things are staying on target.

I find larger extruded powder, like IMR 4895, more problematic, with variations between throws sometimes a tenth of a grain or more, probably due to variability in the density of a given drop. I generally end up throwing a somewhat lighter amount than desired & trickle to the full amount.

I use a lee safety scale for weight checking, using the poise lock for the target amount. I added plus/minus 0.1 and 0.2 grain reference marks above/below the balance point mark & it is pretty easy to interpolate to roughly 0.01 grain variations when checking throws.

Some less expensive electronic scales cannot hit all the 0.1 grain measures & will "skip" some 0.1 levels (i.e. jump from 0.2 to 0.4 for example). They are typically accurate to 0.01 gram & convert that to get grains. Rounding error results in the skipped 0.1 grain values.

Nick