The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 7, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Rob62

Draco SBR anyone ?

I guess 2012 is going to be the year I get into NFA items in a big way. My current project is to SBR a Draco (ROMAK) pistol on a form 1.

I’ve narrowed down the stock options to an ACE side folder. What I am wondering is if anyone here has done this conversion or has some firsthand comments they want to share. If somone has a source that has good prices on the ACE stocks and hinge (FSM - Folding Side Mount). I’d appreciate hearing about those. Brownell’s list both items, but even at their discount price I think I can still get these items for a little less $$.

For the form 1, Block 4a (Name and Location of Original Manufacturer of Firearm) I take it the manufacturers is ROMAK/CUGIR, and listing Romania as location of manufacturer, would be correct – as Century Arms the importer, is only the importer not the manufacturer.

The form 1 will be done through a Trust so getting CLEO sign off is not an issue. And I am familiar with the overall process.

Regards,
Rob
Old January 8, 2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Sturmguewer (SP??) did an awesome video on how to do this on his youtube site. It's the Military Arms Channel on youtube. Check it out; it should answer all of your questions. I'm waiting on the paperwork for my Draco as well!
Old January 8, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Rob62

I saw his video's, and its a good one. But more info is always better and that's why I started this thread.

A slight concern is drilling the back of the trunnion for the FSM (Folding Stock Mechanism). Some comments I have read say that this a potential weak spot and was hoping that someone who has done this might comment on the issue. The trunnion looks strong, thick enough, but it if its not designed to have a stock attached that way who knows what the long term outcome could be.

I plan on having my gunsmith install a "re-inforcing" plate that the stock FSM bolts will go into, use lock nuts, as well as threading the trunnion. I am fairly certain that all this would make the folding stock be securely attached.

Now its off to a gun show in Atlanta to see if I can find someone that does the SBR engraving there. And look for ammo.

Regards,
Rob
Old January 8, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Sturmgewehre

It's no more weak than any other stock attached via the rear trunion. I'm not sure why folks would claim it's a potential weak spot, unless they think all AK's with side folders are weak.

The rear trunion is thick and HARD. We burned through 3 bits trying to get through it. My buddy accidentally ran the drill a little too fast. Be sure to go slow when drilling it.

It's a very solid mount once you get it setup.
Old January 8, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Rob62

Sturmgewehre - thanks for your first hand comments (and the great video/s).

Watching your video was actually a big part of the reason I want to go with the ACE stock. Presently, unless soemthing drastic happens to change my mind, that's what I am doing.

Now to get that form one done, mail it off, and have the gun engraved.

Regards,
Rob
Old January 8, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

I'm actually using a mount made specifically to fit right behind the pistol grip. If you search my post from a couple months ago in this forum the owner of the machine company that makes it told me about it. I checked it out, liked it, and ordered it. It seems very solid although I haven't mounted it yet because I'm not trying to commit a felony...
Old January 18, 2012, 07:09 PM   #7
ConlawBloganon

I desperately want to do a very similar sidefolding draco SBR. It will definitely be my next long gun. Let us know how it goes, and be sure to post pictures!
Old January 18, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Rob62

This project has been scrapped by me.

I decided to do it on a spur of the moment, and after a lot of reflection I am going with an AR15 style SBR for a variety of reasons. One of the primary ones being that I am much more familiar with the operation and use of that platform. I've already sold the DRACO so there is no going back.

Regards,
Rob