The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old September 21, 2011, 03:30 PM   #51
KChen986

Jason G,

A friend of mine who's a really good shooter, had a mentor who was on season 1, and he said something along those lines (hearsay, I know.) There was a thread on reddit by a former cameraman, and I did not hear anything about messing with the sights.

However, I sometimes wonder how such highly trained professionals have difficulty with familiar weapons, like the AR or the FAL.

=================

*SPOILER*

Anyone else happy to see Michael Morelli go?
Old September 21, 2011, 07:47 PM   #52
Cowboy_mo

Cliff put Michael out very handily in the "shoot from the hip" challenge!

It was ironic and poetic justice since Michael actually chose to shoot against Cliff...
Old September 21, 2011, 07:58 PM   #53
Alaska444

I am glad he is gone. He continually disparaged Cliff especially most often when he had messed up his performance which was just about every time. Poetic justice indeed especially since Michael actually chose to go up against a national champion. Go figure.

Cliff on the other hand shows one more time that he is a top shot as we would expect from someone that is a national champion. Don't mess with the best is a good thing to remember.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:58 PM   #54
NWPilgrim

I knew Michael was going down to Cliff when I saw at the actual contest he abandoned the exact grip he practiced so well with Jerry's coaching. Instead he sees the hitching rail and thinks, "Hey I got a better idea!" Then Cliff proceeded to grip as he practiced and did much better. Cliff is very methodical.

I loved Michael's statement about "I nominated Cliff because he is just a revolver guy." This not long after Cliff cleaned the course with the VLTOR AR15 and "Long Gun" Michael did not. And a few episodes before Cliff had aced the course with a Glock.

I would have liked to see how Cliff would have done on the third round of blind shooting the water jugs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #55
ndking1126

I'm currently deployed and can't watch Top Shot this season! It looked pretty good to me. Yeah there is a little drama, but that's just part of politicing.. and politicing happens in all areas of life in one degree or another. I bet that's pretty cool to see someone you know on tv!

Quote:
All you need is a college degree,,,
Sadly, no leadership skills are required for a commission.

Aarond
Off topic, but as an OCS Candidate, I will have to disagree. Especially as a line officer.
As a former OCS Candidate I would also disagree. As a matter of fact, you must prove to the Army you are capable by leading other Office Candidates (ie, peers), which I found to be much harder than leading Soldiers now that I am at my unit.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:29 PM   #56
aarondhgraham

Off-Topic,,,

Gentlemen, I never meant to imply that a college degree would automatically make you an officer,,,
But it is a requirement that more often than not is all a person must have to be eligible for a commission.

There are other hurdles but they are minor in comparison.

I realize that civilians must apply to OCS through the Army Recruiting Command,,,
But (according to this source) they accept about 60% of the civilian applicants.

I spent 8 years active duty and then 9 years working with and for the military,,,
Not all commissioned officers are leaders that I would want to follow.

Just because one makes it through OCS doesn't endow that person with leadership abilities any more than graduating Med School makes one a competent physician.

I would like to think that our Armed Forces are more selective than they were in my era of service,,,
But the reality remains that a 4-year college degree is the main hurdle.

Now, back to discussing the Top Shot contestants.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 28, 2011, 11:41 AM   #57
hartlock

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Jake is a
blow hard? Man, that guy gets on my nerves everytime
I try to watch that show! The guy can shoot, no doubt
about that, but he is the first one to tell you he can, too!
Old September 28, 2011, 03:04 PM   #58
SPUSCG

At leat going to green team might mean they will all be sick of jake and ditch him first, i was sad to see cliff go, i was rooting for him, hes good but doesn't rub it in anyones face. Hes quiet and professional, jake on the other hand is a loudmouth crybaby.
Old September 28, 2011, 03:27 PM   #59
KChen986

I can't stand Jake. He's has absolutely no sportsmanship.

Sad to see Cliff go, I was rooting for him. Definitely a good shot.
Old September 28, 2011, 06:07 PM   #60
Jason_G

Quote:
I can't stand Jake. He's has absolutely no sportsmanship.

Sad to see Cliff go, I was rooting for him. Definitely a good shot.
Definitely hated to see Cliff go. I knew he was going to be nominated when I first saw him try to shoot the recurve. Instinctive shooting takes practice and consistency, especially to hit a moving target. Extremely steep learning curve for a recurve virgin, and even worse for someone who has no archery experience at all. To be competitive in a matter of hours is a tall order. I really was hoping he'd stick around though.

I guess my two picks for finals would be Gary from the red team and Dustin from the blue team.

I just hope anyone other than that big ol' (what's the succinct way to say "baby that is yet to be weaned?") wins. I laughed when he was comparing himself to Atilla the Hun.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 28, 2011, 07:04 PM   #61
Alaska444

When it comes to firearms, it seems Cliff was always cool, calm and collected. When I saw that the red team lost with a bow, I new Cliff would be going home most likely in a challenge.

There would be a whole lot less melodrama if they chose the elimination challenge by the lowest scores. That would stress the Top Shot image better than the garbage that they put on TV now in this "reality" show.
Old September 28, 2011, 07:10 PM   #62
Chaz88

I usually only have the show on when I am doing something else, like watching paint dry, and just pay attention when they are shooting something interesting.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old September 29, 2011, 01:18 AM   #63
Eghad

Reality TV is all about the drama. I am not a Jake fan but he definitely showed he is going to be a contender. I was sad to see Cliff go too but it is what it is. The show is about skills and adapting to the challenges to get to the finals.

NRA Life Member
Old September 29, 2011, 06:57 PM   #64
Cowboy_mo

I hated to see Cliff go because he was a fantastic shot and a real gentleman and sportsman.

I will cheer loudly when Jake self destructs as I fully expect him to do. He is far too arrogant to win.

If it wasn't for TIVO, I would probably have stopped watching the show a long time ago. Can't stand all the "drama" but do love to watch the shooting.
Old September 29, 2011, 07:53 PM   #65
twins

I say "Go Jake!". If there's no $100K in the formula, then it may be different. It's a reality show folks, how boring it would be without the drama. I was hoping Jake and Michael would go at it, but it didn't happen. Some UFC thrown in there would be great.

If I wanted to see plain shooting competition, I rather go to my shooting range and see it live. I'm glad Jake is in it to win at all costs. So far, he can shoot better than any of them.
Old October 6, 2011, 04:13 PM   #66
hartlock

You know, Jake reminds me of that old saying "if the only
tool you have in your tool box is a hammer, everything you
encounter in life is gonna look like a NAIL!" Jake just seems
to thrive on the discord! And thats with his own team
members! But, as I said earlier, the guy can shoot!
Old October 20, 2011, 08:17 AM   #67
KMAX

Cliff was cool.

Jake went out like the whiney punk he was. Liked Cliff and hated to see him go, but somebody had to. He seemed pretty modest and decent. Like Dustin and his spirit. Reminds me of some young guys I know. This is a reality show, yes, but it seems thats most of whats on tv these days and has already been said, the show wouldn't fill the time slot without the drama thrown in. My wife is the one that got me started watching the show. We record it so we can watch it together. She loves the show too.

P.S.
It's a good thing they have the rule about fighting or I think Jake would have got his butt stomped, as he deserved.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:28 PM   #68
IMTHDUKE

You mean "Jake the quiter". Great battle plan, Jake.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old October 20, 2011, 06:53 PM   #69
jon_in_wv

The awesome irony of it is when Jake took the coward's way out and quite they brought back the very guy that made is sting the worst. Jake was there for the drama anyhow. He never had the skills of the others in my opinion.
Old October 20, 2011, 07:17 PM   #70
IMTHDUKE

Jake did have shooting skills....shooting off his mouth.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old October 21, 2011, 03:13 AM   #71
DukeNukem

Jake was a PITA. Who knows why he was there. He may have just considered it an audition for other reality shows. Seems like someone with that attitude is in just about every one of them.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:12 PM   #72
Mercenary

FWIW there is a new gun shop opening this weekend and special guest is suppose to be Mike Hughes. It said he was one of two semi finalists. Did they give something away???? Last I remember there were 4 competitors left.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:13 PM   #73
jreXD9

dang, cowboy_mo @ #64 got it right re: Jake. What a royal PIA he was.
Old October 27, 2011, 03:33 PM   #74
Iron Man

I never miss a show. What a great season ending! I won't spoil if for those who watch it after they record it.

I would go on the show just to get in an elimination round. They get to have the most fun!
Old July 10, 2012, 10:16 PM   #75
CliffWalsh

Thanks guys.

I just now saw this thread. Thanks so much for all the kind words and support. Top Shot was a great experience. It was the best vacation I ever had. There were no scripts for the show but when we get interviewed, the producers ask us questions so they can get the answers they want. The group stuff is real and it all happened. You have to remember that each show is 3 days and a lot of film that get boiled down to 45 minutes. Not all of it is drama but all the drama gets on the show. If you have any questions, just ask. I'll tell you what I can.

Thanks Chuck. You still fishing???
Closed Thread