The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 19, 2010, 04:34 PM   #26
Daryl

Quote:
If you've got yotes in your neighborhood, they are there for a reason, food. Take the food source away, yotes will move on.
I live on the edge of town, and it's hard to remove pets that neighbors let out at night. Personally, I don't care either way. If the pets get eaten, then the owners should have kept them inside.

Coyotes here are very fearful of man, and don't attack people. I have a LOT of experience calling them in with mouth blown calls, and when they realize a human is there, they're gone. I've had them within a foot of so of me on several occasions.

Quote:
Not saying I would trust a strange dog either....but this was different.
If a coyote and a stray dog were in my yard, and I were to shoot one or the other, it would be the stray dog; every time.

When I was a kid, we lived in a fairly remote area. Dad raised chickens, quail, pheasants, and such. There were coyotes pretty much everywhere in the area, and dogs that people let loose at night.

In the three years we lived there, my dad killed 21 dogs, and 1 coyote. This year alone, I've drawn my carry handgun twice on agressive dogs that threatened me in my own yard.

My mother has a couple of miniature donkeys, only a mile or two from the above mentioned place where dad shot all the dogs. There are still coyotes all over there, evidenced by the couple I've had to eliminate, and the fact that one can hear them from her porch on any evening. The coyotes don't bother her donkeys though; it's the neighbor's pit bull that I'll be forced to eliminate sooner or later.

Sad but true.

Daryl
Old September 19, 2010, 04:55 PM   #27
plumbernater

Here in Alabama I have seen donkeys put with sheep to keep the coyotes away. I've been told a donkey will mess up a coyote.
H
Old September 19, 2010, 06:04 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Donkeys will the boots to dogs too... One night my huntin' dogs ran a hog thru a pasture of cattle with a "watch donkey".... He headed off the dogs and had whooped the snot out of one before it made it to the fence.
Brent
Old September 21, 2010, 05:09 AM   #29
Dr Killdeer

Two summers ago, my neighbor’s wife called me to say there was a wolf in their back yard and that she was taking pictures of it as proof. I went over there and discovered a yote, sprawled out in the grandkid’s sandbox.

I called D.E.C. and told them it must be rabid, because it had no fear of me. The conservation officer on the phone told me to give it space and not to bother it. But, before they could get a guy over there, it disappeared into the woods.

Later that afternoon, it showed on my back patio. That was his last stop. Later, a D.E.C. officer came by and recovered the carcass. About two months later I called to ask about the results of the rabies test. I was surprised to learn that the tests were inconclusive, because they need to do certain tests on the brain.

In this case, the parts they needed to test were missing. So, a word to the wise. If you’re going to take one that you think is rabid, don’t use a 45 ACP to atomize its skull at point blank range. A spine shot will do just as well and then they’ll be able to test the yote properly.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:39 AM   #30
Irish B

Quote:
If you've got yotes in your neighborhood, they are there for a reason, food. Take the food source away, yotes will move on.
Yeah but remove all the coyotes and you'll have a vermin run.
The coyotes up here are faily decent sized but, like bears, their winter coats always make them look bigger. They don't really seem to be that put off by people. My german shepard and husky/wolf on the other hand do an awesome job of controlling the coyote population on my property. I had one walk too close to the house last week only to get very quickly chased away.
Old October 11, 2010, 07:28 AM   #31
shortwave

Quote:
Here in Alabama I have seen donkeys put with sheep to keep coyote's away.
I've heard Llamas will do the same when put in with sheep. Any Llama experts out there?
Old October 11, 2010, 08:08 AM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
Yeah but remove all the coyote and you'll have a vermin run
Don't think you need to eliminate yotes, just keep population in check.
Thats not being done in these parts.

The more yotes in the area, the more brave they'll get. It's a basic food/survival thing.

Since pelt prices are as much as non-existant, people don't trap like they used to. In many area's there's no natural coyote predator. It's up to people to keep the yote population balanced or yote attacks/rabies will increase.

Some of the counties around here have started paying a small bounty on any yote carcass turned in to DNR.

Quote:
My german shepard and husky/wolf mix on the other hand do an awesome job of controlling the coyote population on my property
I'd make sure they were out together patroling.

A farmer where I used to rabbit hunt had an Irish Wolfhound killed by a pack of yotes. Farmers wife saw attack but by the time she got the shotgun, Wolfhound had to be put down.
I've got a Shephard thats very large(138lbs) compared to the average US standards. I don't want him fending off a pack of hungry yotes by himself. If that would happen and he survived, don't think I'd want the vet bills.
I can call him off of anything else but once he winds a yote he's on it. Makes me mad as hell.
If I let him out at night or walk him in the woods, he has a shock collar on for that reason.
Old October 11, 2010, 11:56 AM   #33
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've heard Llamas will do the same when put in with sheep. Any Llama experts out there?
Not an expert, but we have llamas in with the ranch's small flock of sheep. Both roam a 40 acre field, and there are yotes a'plenty in the area. We haven't lost a lamb to yotes in over 20 years.

Canines and camelids have been sworn enemies since time began, but when you work with a llama, it's hard to imagine that such an inoffensive creature could be a threat to a predator. Still, they almost always win any encounter. Well, male llamas do have a really nasty set of fighting teeth, but they usually just stomp them. The teeth are usually reserved for other male llamas.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 11, 2010, 12:30 PM   #34
shortwave

Thanks for the Llama info. Capt. Charlie.
Around here you'd probably have to paint a hunter orange X on the Llama's side to keep some deer poacher from mistaking it for a deer.

Used to be a guy that had property running along 33 between Lancaster and Logan that used to paint an X on the sides of his donkey. First time I saw it I bout wrecked the truck.
Old October 11, 2010, 08:34 PM   #35
Irish B

Quote:
I'd make sure they were out together patroling.

A farmer where I used to rabbit hunt had an Irish Wolfhound killed by a pack of yotes. Farmers wife saw attack but by the time she got the shotgun, Wolfhound had to be put down.
I've got a Shephard thats very large(138lbs) compared to the average US standards. I don't want him fending off a pack of hungry yotes by himself. If that would happen and he survived, don't think I'd want the vet bills.
I can call him off of anything else but once he winds a yote he's on it. Makes me mad as hell.
If I let him out at night or walk him in the woods, he has a shock collar on for that reason.
Yeah my shepard is a healthy 115 or so right now and my wolfdog is sitting around 135. They never go anywhere without each other. The husky/wolf has such a strong pack mentality he hates to even go outside without the shepard and I with him. I agree it would be foolish to just let them have the run of the town as packs of coyotes have been known to take down anything. I've never had a group larger than three around my house but i know they're out there. The boys never stray far from the house either and I also have an electric fence to keep them from running too far at night. I never leave them out at night for fear of lions. The dogs work great for the occasional coyote or bear though and unfortunately skunk