The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1
oldman1946

Eight inch? Why?? What??

OK, I admit to owning some guns that others would not want. It is also a fact that I shoot most of my guns at sometime within a few years although I have some that has never been fired after purchase. One I have was bought in 1967 and still unfired.

But I carry some of the guns on occasion, Hunt with some of them and do various things with them.

Many of my friends have revolvers with the eight inch barrels. Not a one of them shoot those guns at the range. They are not feasible for a ccw. I seldom see one at the ranges I visit. They are bulky for home defense use. So they keep them in storage.

Other than having a look that says a business use weapon, I do not see the popularity of them.

If you have one, what was the intended use for it at the time of purchase?
Old December 18, 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

I have been looking for an 8" barrel revolver. Why? Because I want one. Yes, they are long and the barrel takes some getting used to when you draw it from the holster. But I think a lot of it comes with training and practice.

I am glad that I am not the only one who has guns which were bought, but never fired, or fired only once or twice, and then put away. Some of these will be worth some money to my heirs, some of them will never be worth what I paid for them.

I like the looks of them, the feel of them, but I have my favorites to shoot. I have some guns (Mostly .45 LC) that I have put thousands of rounds through and prefer to shoot, others only get shot when friends or family come over and want to shoot.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:30 AM   #3
OkieCruffler

1. They make a dandy hunting tool
2. Those sillywett shooters seem to like them.
3. Sometimes it's just about being cool.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:42 AM   #4
fyimo

The 8 3/8 barrel on a S&W revolver are used by hunters and are often scoped and by some competition shooters. I own several and my S&W 17-4 in 22LR is a virtual tack driver and by far the most accurate revolver I own. I have a 14-4 also in 8 3/8 but I don't shoot because it's unfired since leaving the factory and I have all th paperwork, tool kit and correct box for it so it's a collector gun. The Model 14 was S&W's Target Masterpiece and was designed for competition shooters and no doubt this one would be as accurate as the 17-4 but I'll never find out.

They aren't carry guns but they are good range guns especially the 38 Special and 22LR versions. The Model 14 and Model 17 were made to balance exactly the same and were designed to weigh the same when they were the K22 and K38 S&W models.

The 357 and 44 magnum with 8 3/8 barrels are mostly used as I said by hunters.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:49 AM   #5
2DaMtns

Why have a rifle with a 26" or 28" barrel? It's too long to carry easily in the woods. Why the long barrel? More velocity, less recoil, etc. Sure, it's unwieldy, but to target shooters, long range hunters, etc., it's a sacrifice they make for their situation.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

In a way I think the longer barrels are an ancestral holdover from blackpowder days when the longer barrels seemed to be de riggor (sp, I know!)...

The original SAAs came with what, 7.5" barrels?

I'm not a fan of barrels over 6", and most of my revolvers have 4" barrels. I think 4" is the absolutely perfect compromise for a general utility revolver.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Winchester_73

Its kind of like saying "whats the purpose of a corvette, I never see them on the road" but they are designed with specific intent in mind. The thing you must consider is that after the purchase, a person can do whatever they want with the item. You need to be questioning why your friends have 8 in revolvers, not why they exist. I can't explain why you haven't seen them but I know they are popular with handgun hunters. The long barrel handguns exist for all the above reasons mentioned and are a must, IMO, for certain applications or calibers.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Legionnaire

Quote:
I think 4" is the absolutely perfect compromise for a general utility revolver.
Ditto. I like shorter barrels for CCW--like a 2-1/4" 5-shot snubby, or a 3" 6-shooter; and my current hunting rig is a scoped 5-1/2" Redhawk. Anything longer than 6" just doesn't appeal to me. And if I could only have one, general purpose revolver, it would be a 4" .357.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:17 AM   #9
MTHanded

I have several guns that are just for looks and taking out of the cabinet once in awhile and letting the kids or friends shoot them. I like a variety of calibers and guns just to keep me interested as well. There are a couple that have never been fired and these are more or less going to be passed down to the kids and so on like my great grandfather passed down his guns that eventually ended up with me. My guns are a reflection of sorts of my own personality and what I was like when I bought them. In my youth, I liked the old west so I have several old model Rugers in 357 and 45. As I got older, I liked the 9 mm auto but have now transitioned to the newer snubbies like the LCR.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:28 AM   #10
oldman1946

I like the 4 inch as well and most of my revolvers are that size. It is a matter of personal opinion as to the desired barrel length but I was wondering about the practical aspects.

Those I know owning longer barrels mostly bought them because they could. A couple hunt with them for sport and have scoped the guns.

But as with the Corvette mentioned, a lot of my friends have them as well. While they will do 160 MPH, the ability to make use of such speeds are extremely limited so they bought a car too small for a family, too costly to be practical, too much power that is unused and too rough of a ride for comfort. Be it now a status symbol or a ego trip, it is not a practical vehicle.

The longer barrel handguns fit in the same range for ME. Not well suited for home defense, too long for concealed carry, too bulky for extended hand carry and for general use is basically limited to hunting purposes.

For some they are fine but for me, I would not get any use from them like I do my shorter barrel guns.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Hog Hunter

got a smith and wesson 29 with the 8 3/8 on it in 44 mag, i personally like them for the fact that ican shot it accuratly out to 100 yrds.(havent tried past thet yet) i do use the pistol for alot of hunting mainly hogs and sometimes deer. i also carry the gun in my truck sometimes, and hope i dont have to crack one off with it in there. other than that its a great show peice, i get alot of WOWS!!!!! out of it.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:37 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

There is a specific reason S&W made those 8 3/8 inch barrels, I'm surprised no one knows.

Can't ccw, BS, I've known more than one man that carried a 8 3/8 Smith N frame.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Hog Hunter

what is the reason they made the 8 3/8???
Old December 18, 2009, 09:52 AM   #14
22-rimfire

As I recall, 8 3/8" is just under the 8.5" limit for silhouette competition. Not a competition shooter, and I can't tell you which event by initial. But that is the reason. It is the reason you see 8" barrels on Colts and Contenders.

My Model 57 Smith with 8 3/8" barrel is the most accurate M57 I own. For that it is worth the added inches. It is easy to carry hunting in the right rig. Would like to scope it, but don't want it drilled.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Suwannee Tim

Smith and Wesson has been making 8-3/8 inch revolvers since long before silhouette competitions. I think it may have been the other way around, the silhouette organizations made the limit 8-1/2 to accommodate 8-3/8 S&Ws. I have an 8-3/8 Model 27 which I love to shoot. I used to carry a 7-1/2 inch Super Blackhawk in the woods, I have a 10 inch Super Redhawk in 454, scoped, I really wish it had a 7-1/2 barrel though. They ain't very handy nor concealable but neither is a rifle.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

S&W has been offering 8 3/8" barrels since at least the 1930s with the original .357 Magnum.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:47 AM   #17
CraigC

I've got over half a dozen revolvers in 7½" - 8" lengths. My dedicated hunting sixgun is a custom Bisley 7½" .44Mag. I don't really find them cumbersome in the least in the field, though I'd hate to have to conceal one.

Colt's original percussion guns were 7½" (1851) to 8" (1860) because blackpowder needs some barrel length. The 1860 Richards Type I and II conversions utilized the original 8" barrel. The Richards-Mason conversion utilized a new S-lug barrel at 7½". The 1871-1872 Open Top model .44 rimfire was offered to the Army for testing with a 7½" barrel. The Single Action Army was first produced for the Army (hence the name) with a 7½" barrel because they ordered it that way. These were cavalry guns. Many of these were later returned to Colt for reburbishing and were cut back to 5½" and issued to artillery and support units.

In the 1930's S&W would build the Registered Magnum with whatever barrel length you wanted. If you ordered an 8¼" barrel, it would be delivered in that length.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:25 AM   #18
stevieboy

I can't speak for anyone else, I just know that I tend to shoot longer barrelled guns more accurately. The best scores I ever obtained at 25 yards were with my 17-5 8 3/8. My second best scores have been with my 686-6 6" gun.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:59 AM   #19
salvadore

I don't know if this is against the rules, but for the size matters folks I have a bianchi x-2100 for a 8"+ revolver that i got off of ebay accidentally..listed for a 6" barrel. it doesnt have the snap strap, and i would sell it for $50.00 shipping on me.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:05 PM   #20
2002gti

my buddy hasa an 8" python and that thing is an absolute tack driver. the moment i shot it i wanted an 8" revolver but never got one yet. theres just too much stuff i want.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Jim Watson

The ORIGINAL .357 Magnum was available with barrel length up to 8 3/4".
They reduced the maximum to 8 3/8" because that gave the maximum NRA sight radius of 10".
Old December 18, 2009, 01:24 PM   #22
OkieCruffler

Of course, there are those of us who consider 8 inches a snubbie....

Old December 18, 2009, 01:40 PM   #23
pogo2

Useful for long range accuracy...

I have two guns in the 8 inch barrel range - a S&W model 27 with 8-3/8 inch barrel and a Ruger Vaquero with 7.5 inch barrel. I bought the Smith over 40 years ago in the late 60s, and will admit that I have not shot it very much. However, it has one of the best triggers I have ever felt on a revolver, and the gun is an absolute tack driver on the range. I am sentimentally attached to it because I have owned it for so long. For awhile I had a 2X scope on the gun and it did well at longer range shooting.

The Ruger is .44 magnum and I bought it on a whim 10 years ago because it was low priced and good looking. I don't shoot it much either, but it also is very accurate when I have shot it, given the rudimentary sights.

Old December 18, 2009, 01:46 PM   #24
liviussteven

i carry my 8 inchers to the range all the time... they are a real hoot to shoot.
Old December 18, 2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Snobal

I had a 6" Model 57 S&W and truly loved it.

Got an 8 3/8" Model 57 and shot the tightest groups off sandbags that I've ever shot.

The 8 3/8" did not work for me under "field conditions....

sold it and kept the 6".

Not because of any difference in the guns....

...but strictly because I could not shoot the long gun well when rabbit hunting, deer hunting, etc.

JMHO