The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 17, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
kx592

HD training

Alot of guys on here who are specifically interested in HD such as my self. I am fairly new to firearms but got very comfortable with my mossy 590a1 and 870 on the skeet field and target range. My question is what do you guys do as training for home invasion. Say a guy breaks in in the middle of the night.How do you train for the situation and such. Look forward to responses
Old October 18, 2009, 02:41 AM   #2
JerseyDrez

Most local ranges have training classes for those types of situations.

All it takes is a quick phone call and, depending on which employee you talk to, you should get the answer 20mins later...as 99.9% of gun shop employees love talking/shooting the breeze/asking questions about firearms

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old October 18, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

Probably the most widely available class is the NRA's Personal Protection In The Home course- see http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx . There's also a "Find A Course" tool on that page that will let you see if anyone near you is teaching it.

IF not, there's a DVD of the classroom part at http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...tid=ES%2026840 .

That course is the best starting point I know of...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

If the OP tells us where he or she is located, we can probably recommend some good trainers. Lee gives an excellent generic recommendation.

However, I wouldn't ask a gun store employee about tactics and laws and assume it's reasonable advice. That would really depend. I've heard some strange things in the store.
Old October 18, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
27Veer

I'd start by reading Mas Ayoob's In the Gravest Extreme.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Mello2u

A technique I learned at Gunsite's API 260 (shotgun) course was to carry the shotgun in the following manner when in condition orange or red. I am assuming a right handed shooter and the use of a Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun.

The front sight is just below the line of sight of the dominant eye, the right hand holds the stock with the trigger finger on the safety button, the left hand holds the fore-end stock of the Remington 870 pump, there is a round in the chamber and the shotgun is ready to fire.

Upon identifying a threat, the shooter swiftly moves the butt to his shoulder while at the same time clicking off the safety and moving the trigger finger to the trigger. When the butt comes in full contact with the shoulder, the front sight should be on target, and the trigger is pressed to deliver the load on target. From target identification to shot delivered it should take under 0.5 seconds.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 22, 2009, 10:15 PM   #7
fm2

Rangemaster in Memphis( http://www.rangemaster.com/ ) had a class covering that material. It is called Full Spectrum Self-Defense.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Shawn Dodson

With a shotgun, I presume?

My shotgun is my barricade gun. I don't use it if I have to maneuver through the house. I use a handgun instead. The shotgun stays in the bedroom.

Both my shotgun and handgun are stored in a V-Line closet vault, which is bolted into the wall of the master bedroom, and is equipped with a push button combintation lock.

"Say a guy breaks in in the middle of the night"? The plan is for me to arm myself, aqcuire a position of advantage, and shout a verbal challenge to assess the threat - "Who's there?!" No answer? "Who's there, what are you doing?" If necessary followed by - "I have a gun, I've called police, leave now!"

If I have to maneuver through the house to gather family I do it while armed with a handgun while the wife holds down the fort in the master bedroom with the shotgun.
Old October 23, 2009, 04:45 PM   #9
markj

Quote:
Say a guy breaks in in the middle of the night
He would be a heck of a man, he would have to get thru 4 large dogs, disable the motion detectors from a distance, in other words I will be aware of him before he ever gets to the house. It has happened last summer. Just kids stealing gas tho (we live out in the country)