The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Cleaning my gun, uggh

In the past I have primarily shot my p22 about once every 2-3 months a couple hundred rounds per outing. I always fully break it down wipe off every surface and then re oil it with remington whatever oil(whatever walmart carries in an orange bottle).

I just started shooting trap and expect to shoot multiple times per week. I expect to shoot 75 or 100 shots through my Remington 11-87. It is semi-Auto of course. How much do I need to clean it? Is a bore snake through it, with a real cleaning say once a month enough? I am certainly not an obsessive gun cleaner, but I will do what is needed to keep the gun running well.
Old July 10, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
cxg231

Now, this is just my opinion, but I suspect that you could get away with a full cleaning every 500 shells. Some people shoot that much in a weekend. YMMV
Old July 10, 2008, 10:41 PM   #3
RoscoeC

I guess I'm weird. I really enjoy cleaning my guns. I like disassembling them, I like the smell of the chemicals, I like putting them back together and knowing that they are cleaned and lubricated and fully ready for whatever I need them for.

When I shoot 'em, I clean 'em. Is it necessary? Almost certainly not. Certainly not in the case of the Beretta shotguns, or the Glock handguns, but I do it because I really enjoy it.

There is something comforting in taking them apart, cleaning them and admiring the engineering and craftsmanship that went into them.

I have had a couple of 11-87's, and I think they need cleaning about every 500 rounds.
NRA Life Member
Old July 10, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I guess I'm weird. I really enjoy cleaning my guns.
Not weird at all many share your view.

I enjoy figuring out how they function. The first few times I take the gun apart I love it. After I know how it works it becomes a terribly mundane chore. I regret my purchase of a p22 simply because it is a semi auto. I hate cleaning it at this point.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:43 PM   #5
BigJimP

All of the 'gas operated semi-autos' have a tendancy to get pretty dirty even after 100 rounds or so. I think you'll need to clean it after every trip to the range ( and personally, I would anyway ).

A bore snake will only take care of the barrel - you'll need to make sure the o-rings, gas ports, etc are clean and lubed so it will perform for you. All of the gas guns are like this - and you have a good gun / but its a little heavy on the maintenance side ( which is one reason why a lot of guys go to Over Unders on the Trap and Skeet fields ) plus we get tired of picking up our hulls .....for reloading. But after you've cleaned it a dozen times - you can do it easily in 15 or 20 min.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Lavid2002

I shoot a case or two every range trip. Thats at least 500 shotshells. I clean every time. Why not? Hoppes bore snake and a lil oil, wipe the carbon off the receiver and store. Whats to fuss about?
On the contrary...what could it hurt?
Old July 11, 2008, 07:11 PM   #7
nutty ned

In hot humid weather I have had problems with rust in the gas systems of mod-58, 1100, and 11-87. I believe they suck in moisture in the air when they cool after each shot, to the point that rust has formed before I got home and could clean them. So I clean mine after shooting either the same day or the next day. I will say that the problem has been greatly reduced
since I started using breakfree.
The bore has not been a problem, so one needs to field strip the gun and wipe the gas ring and piston, mag tube, and barrel sleeve. The rest needs cleaning on an as needed basis.
Old July 12, 2008, 03:44 AM   #8
WacosSon

If you got the time, its good practice to do it everytime you go to the range. Takes a bit of time (especially for a semiauto) but at least you know you're always clean and ready to go.

I love cleaning my guns. It's therapeutic. There's something about it that calms me and causes me to think methodologically. Kinda like putting together a puzzle I guess. Either way, I'm sure my guns love me
Old July 12, 2008, 05:49 AM   #9
RUT

I suspect if somebody's spent any time in the military (especially the gun tottin kind) you have a different outlook on gun cleaning than someone who has not. It's a hard habit to lose, at least in my case. :-)
Old July 12, 2008, 08:13 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Well this is the first gun I am considering not cleaning after every use. I really don't want to spend an extra hour a week cleaning it. I think I am going to have to break down and do it though. There have been one or two occasions where I went to the range and waited a few days before cleaning and I was felt like it was really stupid and I should have woken up early or stayed up a little late to take care of it earlier.
Old July 12, 2008, 01:59 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I can't get the carrier handle out. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. Anyone know what I should do? The Remington manual just says to slide the carrier forward then pull on the handle. I pulled pretty hard and no dice.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:41 PM   #12
gunsmithUK

Cleaning your gun... the right way!

Hi,

I am a Gun smith based in the UK with over 30 years experience. I have just created a blog for anybody that would like me to answer there questions and help then with their Gun Dilemmas .

Please feel free to submit your questions to the blog http://www.gunclean.co.uk/, and dont be but off by being the first, I will respond within 12 hours when possible.

I also run a website for people looking to by gun cleaning equipment direct from the manufacturer here:

Gun Cleaning Kits and Accessories

Takecare guys! - I look forward to answerring your questions..

Peter
GunSmith, UK
Old July 13, 2008, 09:04 PM   #13
ZeSpectre

For what it's worth I've been cleaning my shotgun barrels with Gunzilla ever since I wrote this review.

I do still use WeaponShield when re-lubing the action though.

My only disclaimer is that I'm not much of a shotgun guy so my Maverick 88 gets only intermittent use. My old Aramberri Y Sons Side-x-side does get some heavy use in CAS competitions though.
Old July 14, 2008, 12:10 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Got it figured out. I guess all I need is to make a few trips to the gym.