The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 11, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1
bclark1

Latest you'd build a permanent elevated blind?

Hey all,

I know this is entirely subjective, so it's your guess against mine. But I was just wondering on input for the latest (or how close to the season) you'd build a permanent stand on your deer land.

The land I hunt is private (free to build) and has a fairly large clearing in a depression with draws coming in from several directions. I've always seen good sign in the area, consistently seen deer there for years, including iffy bucks, and shot a nice buck down there last year. The problem is, I took a look at the plat map last year, and I didn't realize the property extended to include the far slope, which is out of my comfortable range from an unsupported tree stand. Further, the clearing is a long oval - so I can either shoot at the entries/exits on either end, or hedge my bets by setting up in the middle but having lousy coverage of the ends. So far I've chosen the middle, it's been alright, producing one wall-hanger and the potential for almost unlimited does (they often run under my stand).

To be able to cover the area, and have a better idea what kind of deer are skirting the edges, I thought a permanent elevated blind smack in the middle would be a productive option. Well placed, I would be able to hit all edges of the clearing, the hillsides, entries and exits. My shots would be better supported. And, although the last two Novembers haven't been nearly as bad as I've seen, it would really be a lot better for breaking the wind up in the Wisconsin cold.

So it seems like a good option, provided I maintain my entry/exit routes to allow me to get there unnoticed.

My question now, is it too late? I know the land like the back of my hand, but because of life in general I get up there maybe once or twice a summer to poke around. I can't scout as much as I'd like to, and I don't know how things I do impact the local deer. They are fairly wary, as hunting pressure is very high - although it's all private land in the area, I doubt there's an unhunted acre for 20 miles. On the flip side, this can work in my favor, as I've seen whole herds of bumped deer work either side of the clearing during the first couple days of rifle season.

So what do you think? If I could round up some guys to go up in July, think the big ones would still be spooked come late-November?

For reference, in the past, I've hung stands and done shooting on the property as late as August without much worry.

Thanks for the input.
Old June 12, 2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As near as I can tell, after about a month or two a stand becomes just a normal part of Bambi's scenic surroundings.

Some say that after a few years, older and warier bucks learn to avoid the area of a stand. I guess that if a young buck is near a big buck and the big buck gets shot, and this happens a few times, the youngun figures out, "This is not a good place to be!"
Old June 12, 2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Sportdog

I built one in the late spring overlooking a clearing with a pinch down between the bedding and feeding area it and caused the deer to move the main trail activity further away. That being said, this structure was built too close to the main trails because it was the only good spot to put it. During the rut here in Michigan it is bow season only and I have seen the largest bucks in the area walking unconcerned within feet of the structure. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think that if you can keep the structure at least 100 yards or so from a main travel route you will be OK and that general meandering of deer will not be affected after a month or so. I know a farmer that moves a "Hay Wagon" out in an area that the deer are feeding in the open and within a couple of days they are relaxed around it. I think that if you get enough guys and put it up FAST and leave some goodies in the immediate area for them to eat it will take some of the caution out of them. Good luck and enjoy the comfort!
Old June 12, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
ginshun

I think a few months is all it will take for them get used to it. When I put mine up there were deer coming to the bait that was set near by virtually immediately. I wasn't sitting in there watching them, but the bait was gone and there was plenty of sign to know that it was deer. I did not see a buck the first year though, so who knows, perhaps the buck are more warry. We put it up in July.

And as far as the big bucks avoiding the area after a few years, I don't think I buy that either. I don't know how long people consider a few years, but the old man shot a huge buck out of his permanent stand after it was there for 5 years I believe. 10 point typical, it scored 158 and some change B&C (just short of the books) and dressed out it weighed just over 200lbs. If one of the G1's hadn't been busted off it would have been in. I don't know anybody who wouldn't be proud of that deer. See below.

personally I a a big fan of the permanent stand and have taken a few deer out of them since we put them up. Honestly, in northern WI its jsut too damn cold to sit outside sometimes. I'll sit in my insulated stand with a Mr. Heater thank you very much. At least for sun-up and sun-down anyway. I am not one of those guys that can sit the entire day. I go nut balls. I gotta get out and stalk around or just go home and have lunch during the day.
Old June 12, 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
T-Ray

Quote:
And as far as the big bucks avoiding the area after a few years, I don't think I buy that either.
+1
My cousin, last season, took a huge 12pt (out of a stand) that they've seen for years. The land has about 5 permenant stands. They don't avoid the stands.

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 12, 2008, 01:06 PM   #6
rantingredneck

I have literally built a stand on Sunday and killed a buck on Monday out of it.

That being said, I try to keep my scouting/stand building/etc. to the summer months ending by Mid-August for a Mid-Sept start to bowhunting.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:00 PM   #7
sc928porsche

I have a "permanant elevated blind" located on a small cliff face where I sit behind a large boulder.
Old June 16, 2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Wyatt Earp

It has never been a problem for me. That being said I think this is going to be the most important thing if you are hunting in the wide open:

Quote:
provided I maintain my entry/exit routes to allow me to get there unnoticed.
Wyatt
Old June 16, 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Gbro

Knowing where the beding areas are is a key to good stand placment. One of the young hunters built a nice stand for his Dad, but they had to pass through a bedding area to reach it. After 2 seasons without sucess I rebuilt it before the bedding area. My brother in law didn't even get seated and took a small buck on opening morning, and took a doe 1/2 hour later.
I will mark a spot for a stand during the season and build it in late summer, or at least have the spot marked for a portable. Around here deer habits change with the seasons.