The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2006, 09:33 AM   #1
rimfire shooter

night vision equipment?

I do some coyote hunting in Wisconsin and cannot use lights at night to hunt coyotes.
Does any one have any experience with night vision equipment?
I was thinking along the lines of a holographic sight and night vision googles.
What works and what doesn't?
Rimfire shooter
Old September 11, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2
snolden

check your laws first there are a couple of municipalities in NY that outlawed night vision

Check here for some good stuff:

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/categ...g?categoryId=3

AN/PVS-5 is pretty much a standard issues military set. I got to play with some in the navy.

2nd gen is way better than first generations stuff.

Pretty much for any 2nd gen anything (even a monocular) you are going to spend close to one grand.

With that said, I am furiously saving for some 3rd gen stuff.
Old September 12, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3
DonR101395

Like he said check your state laws.
I've been using NVG's for the last 16 years and wouldn't buy a set for my own use. The maintainance involved isn't worth it to me. The intensifier tubes are nitrogen filled and the need to be purged at certain intervals to maintain the visual aquity(sp). If I were to buy a set I wouldn't buy anything less than a set with new not refurbished Gen 3 tubes. The refurb tubes typically don't last much beyond a year without continuous maintenance. IMO they are too much of a headache to deal with unless they are making money for me.

Edit:
PVS 5's were designed for aviation and haven't been used in aviation for nearly 20 years. The full face set up was a nightmare and the lithium batteries a pain in the rear. We were using the same battery when we switched to PVS6's for a while but started having problems with them melting down. Not a good feeling for something attached to your head.