The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 21, 2005, 03:20 PM   #1
TBT

Western PA Ranges

Anyone know of any good ranges in the Western PA area? I'm in the Lower Burrell/Leechburg area about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh. I'm a member at a sportman's club that is just well ... crappy. I want a better place to shoot. An indoor range would be great.

Also .. does anyone know the law on shooting in the woods? I mean, can you just find an empty piece of land and if the owner is okay with it, use that for shooting? Seems like setting up beer cans in the woods would be ideal.
Old August 22, 2005, 01:26 PM   #2
TBT

Not too many western PA shooters here eh?
Old August 22, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Bowtier

I'm a western PA shooter! As for ranges though, as far as I know you're out of luck. I have never looked much though because I either shoot on my landlords property, my dads property, or as you say, in the woods. All work well for me & I don't have to pay any fees. I'm located in the Stoneboro area. I go up to camp in Forest county in the national forest & shoot all day long, no one's gave me any trouble there. Good luck to you.
Old August 23, 2005, 09:09 AM   #4
TBT

You shoot in the ANF? I own a camp/summer home up in Tionesta and have always looked for a place to shoot up there. That was one of my questions about shooting in hte woods. I own 2.5 acres up there and have always wondered if that was enough land etc to just shoot on my own property.

In western PA, where I live though .. I really do need to find some land and like you said, just use that.
Old August 23, 2005, 09:14 AM   #5
CarbineCaleb

Where to shoot

To find a range in your area, give this a go:
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/wts_search.asp
Old August 23, 2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Bowtier

Yup, ANF all the way it's really nice up there. I camp near Sheffield, but not @ a camp just in the woods. You just have to be careful to know where the hiking trails are. There are all kinds of "forest highways" that are accessible by vehicle. I just go back to the end of the lane, pitch a tent, & have a nice primative weekend.
Old August 23, 2005, 04:07 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

Bullseye is a GREAT indoor range near Robinson Town Center.

Plenty of nice sportsmans clubs new New Castle, Butler and Kittanning.

Several local game lands have ranges and/or are open for shooting.
Old August 23, 2005, 04:31 PM   #8
gunmoney

Bullseye is closed. There are three ranges close to each other in the wexford cranberry area There is Millvale and North Side sportsmans clubs and the state game lands range close by. The game lands range sucks, Milvale is a little pricey to join but is a very nice range amd north side is not that expensive and the ranges are pretty good. I belong to north side because it is right down the street and there is usuall no one there except for around hunting season and on sundays in the spring and summer. Let me know if you are interested, all of these ranges are right off of 79 an are easy to get to. I also have a camp in ANF where I shoot but I know of no public type ranges there.
Old August 24, 2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Bullseye is closed.
That's sad. The projection room was awesome!
Old August 24, 2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Bullseye is scheduled to re-open in early September. REALLY looking forward to it!

http://www.bullseyeranges.com/

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 26, 2005, 04:38 PM   #11
TBT

What does Bullseye charge for membership? It's about a 45 minute drive for me ... but still.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Vitamin G

I went to Bullseye ONCE before they closed. I don't think i'd be going back.
If i remember correctly, it was just over $500 for the membership that actually permitted you to buy guns UNDER MSRP. I can't see myself paying $500 for a glock with the super-awesome-amazing membership discount, Sorry. I also believe only the highest membership allowed someone to bring their own ammo, and not shoot overpriced ($10/50 of 9mm) reloads.

I shoot at Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club.
Old August 27, 2005, 11:47 AM   #13
itman

I know it is more of a drive them you may want. But I really like the range in Greenville PA (~75 mil North of Pitt). For $25 the whole family can shoot for a year.
Old August 27, 2005, 12:10 PM   #14
Lycanthrope

Both Butler and New Castle offer clubs with memberships in the $25-$100/year price range.
Old August 28, 2005, 12:40 AM   #15
mpi

i'm not familiar with northside, where is that one?
pat in dormont