The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2002, 06:03 PM   #1
75SIZZLER

My Son got a Wingmaster and I need help

As I said my son gota wingmaster for XMAS and I don't know much about it shotguns. It's a used 20 Gage that his uncle sent him. How do I tell if it has a choke and what kind? Were is the choke at? We are planning on going out to the local rock pit this weekend to watch a box of clay hit the ground in one piece I'm sure. Where would I get a manual for it?

Thanks Rob
Old December 26, 2002, 06:20 PM   #2
Chang

Rob,
The choke tube is a small tube that threads into the muzzle. You'll find it there. Usually there is a little tool/wrench that comes with the gun, and it fits into slots on the front of the choke tube, and you just unscrew it. Sometimes it will say what kind of choke tube it is, just on the side of it.
Heres some Remington 870 basics, for disassembling the gun: When remove or put the barrel on, make sure the gun is pumped halfway or so back. You don't want to mash the extractor with the back of the barrel. Remove the barrel by taking the nut off the magazine tube and then just take the barrel off. If you want to remove the pump and bolt, put your finger in the bottom of the receiver, and hold down the left side shell latch. And then carefully push the pump out. Fidget around with it a bit, and you'll figure it out pretty easily. Fortunately, the 870 is a durable series of shotguns. Theres really not too much you can break.
To put the pump and bolt back in, slide it in until it stops, reach into the receiver, push the right shell latch, then it'll move like a couple millimeters and stop again, push the left shell latch and keep sliding it in. Then hit the action bar release, thats the one near the trigger, and pull it halfway, reinstall barrel. Before doing all this, might be a good idea to make sure theres no rounds in the magazine tube or chamber.
It's not very hard to shoot clays with a shotgun. Just put the bead where you want to break stuff.
Old December 26, 2002, 06:21 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

If it has a screw-in choke you should be able tell what the choke is when you screw it out. Choke may be marked on the barrel. If not marked, IIRC it is probably an improved or modified.

Denny
Old December 26, 2002, 06:42 PM   #4
75SIZZLER

It does not have anything threaded into the muzzle or any threads for that matter. The muzzle is the end of the barrel below the front sight, isn't it?
Old December 26, 2002, 07:04 PM   #5
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Yep. muzzle=business end.
Anything written on the left side of the barrel by the makers name?
Old December 26, 2002, 07:14 PM   #6
75SIZZLER

Here is all the writting off of the left side. "20 GA. for 2 3/4 or shorter shells": Then about a2 inches behind that "MOD"" then below that "R G T" And on the side of the receiver it say Remington Wingmaster model 870
Old December 26, 2002, 07:22 PM   #7
r_p_bayly

the "MOD" indicates that it is a "modified " choke. this is what ? 60% of shot in a 30 inch circle at 40? yards.

you're in luck-- this is the best "all-around" choke for hunting, and/or trap shooting. half-way between improved-cylinder (open) and full (tight) chokes. it's a compromise-but is also the choke most people select for all-around hunting when they have screw-in choke tubes.

ENJOY !!!
Old December 26, 2002, 07:31 PM   #8
75SIZZLER

So what your telling me is that the barrel cannot accept a choke and that what it has is what it will always have. If my son wants to change this than he will need an entire new barrel. He is thirteen and is verry interested in shotguns and hunting. I am not but will do what I can to fuel his inttrest if it keeps him out of trouble and off drugs. We have both gone to hunters safty together so we will probably go hunting some time soon. Though I really think that the only thing we will be cleaning is the bottom of our boots.
Old December 26, 2002, 07:38 PM   #9
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Barrels vary, but there's a good chance that there's enough "meat" at the end to have a smith tap the muzzle for screw-in chokes. IMO, a modified choke will probably accomplish most anything you want to handle. Spend any extra cash you have on ammo and practice with it.

The 870 is the cadillac of pump shotguns. It should serve you well.

Denny
Old December 26, 2002, 07:46 PM   #10
r_p_bayly

Yes- the gun is a modified choke, and that's all it is. no screw-in tubes but--
as Denny said-- the "wingmaster" is the cadillac of pump guns. you have a great gun, and can bring home and clean much more than your boots.

if you think you just gotta-have screw-in chokes, go to a gun show and see what the used wingmasters are selling for- sell thru a newspaper ad, and buy a NEW 870 express 12 ga on sale for $199 (with screw-in chokes)

the USED wingmaster costs more than the new express-- same gun mechanically, but the wingmaster has the fit and finish of a craftsman, while the express is rough-- great hunter though-- that's what I use ONLY because I only got into pump guns 2 years ago, after the express came out.

either way--ENJOY !! it's a great gun !!
Old December 26, 2002, 09:44 PM   #11
75SIZZLER

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the help. By the way the reason I said "I think that the only thing we will be cleaning is the bottom of our boots" is that my son can't go more than a couple of minutes without talking and he has no volume control. He's a great kid, just like to talk all the time.

Anyway thanks again, I'm sure gonna miss this board.
Old December 26, 2002, 10:46 PM   #12
Al in Md.

75SIZZLER, You can download instructions from the Remmington website www.remington.com go to magazines then downloads. Al in Md
The Peoples Republic of Maryland, #1 Robbery Rate in the Nation and all we get is more gun laws.