The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2002, 09:00 PM   #1
sjones

skeet ortrap?

I am a newbie at this so forgive a stupid question. In skeet they are mostly all crosing shots and trap is mostly going away from you. It is that right? I went to the sheet range today for the 1st time and only shot 7 out of 25. I got mostly the runs from the low hose facing outward on a going away shot. I even hate to admit that. Is trap any easier untill you get the hang of it?On the second round I only hit 9. Thats pretty pathectic(spelling) isn't it?But bow them dand things really come flying out of there,they are fast,fast and faster. I guess I just need a whole lot of prastice. sh
Old December 22, 2002, 10:20 PM   #2
HSMITH

Keep your chin up bud. WATCH the guys that just crush them and make it look effortless, THEY are the ones to take tips from as well. Stance, setup and swing is key, watch the good shooters to find out what works. DO NOT take advise from the 15-20 bird average guys, there is a reason they shoot those scores. Skeet once you get the hang of it is really pretty easy. Sounds to me like you were not leading the targets, that will KILL your scores. You could also get a video and watch that.

Trap is much harder to get really good at IMO, but on the trap field you could likely hit a few more targets. Mediocre trap is really easy, but to shoot well is lots harder. It takes more talent and practice to shoot 23 on the trap field than it does on the skeet field.
Old December 22, 2002, 11:15 PM   #3
PJR

You understand which game is which. It's been said that skeet is a game that is easy to shoot but hard to learn and trap is a game that's easy to learn but hard to shoot. I shoot both games and sporting clays but started out shooting trap and nothing else.

If the skeet birds are coming out fast then you are probably not looking at the right spot. Foot position, eye position, swing, gun mount are all factors that apply in the target sports. For a first timer, your scores aren't anything to be ashamed of. It all comes with practice and a little instruction. Find a good instructor, listen to him and only him. Too much information from too many different sources will confuse you.

If instruction isn't possible get The Clay Target Handbook by Jerry Meyer. It's a good overview of the games with many helpful hints.

Paul
Old December 23, 2002, 02:24 AM   #4
dfm

Skeet will teach you how to swing a shotgun. Trap is more of a static, rifle-pointing game.

Most of the great British sporting clay shooters say that if you want to get good at SC's then learn to shoot skeet first.

dfm
Old December 23, 2002, 04:22 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Both games are great fun and good practice for GP shotgunning.So is SC, 5 stand, and darn near any other shotgun game there is out there.

Your scores aren't all that bad for a tyro. As I wrote on another thread, don't lift your head and keep the swing swinging.
Old December 24, 2002, 03:27 AM   #6
bamf

For your first few time those scores sound fine. My recommendation is to be sociable and shoot with some of the more skilled skeet shooters at your range.

Look for the guys with the 300/300 patches, and when they're going up, ask them if you join up. Skeet people I've found have been very friendly and more than happy to give you some pointers. Trap guys on the hand...

Practice makes perfect, remember it's only a game and have fun.
Old December 24, 2002, 12:24 PM   #7
Ledbetter

Pace

I started with trap and still find it much easier.

That being said, I think the biggest difference for a lot of people is the pace of the game. I know a really great shooter that "can't "(won't) shoot skeet because the slow pace drives him crazy.

You can shoot a round of trap pretty quick, but having your squad move around from station to station on the skeet range can take forever, depending on the people you're with and their dexterity with firearms.

Frantically yours, from California, with

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old December 27, 2002, 06:23 PM   #8
SDC

If you're used to shooting rifle, you'll probably take to trap more; I'd fired maybe 6 shots out of a shotgun before I tried trap, and I broke 23 my first round. Skeet was a LOT harder for me, and it took a year and a half before I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in that game; once you swing through a crossing bird, pull the trigger, and see that clay bust into a cloud, you'll start to figure out the proper leads, and you'll find it hard to believe you couldn't hit them before.