The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
skizzums

online reloading stores

I was shopping for molds and sizing dies a few days ago and was getting very frustrated. it seems like these big reloading stores just don't get it. as much as I love giving my business to places like fs-reloading, midway, titan et. I just can't come to terms with paying half the cost of an item for shipping. why cant they just use flat rate and keep it fair. I was looking at ordering just one mold, for under 20$, the shipping would be almost 8 dollars no matter what store. so I began to add items. got a lee mold and a sizing die kit. although the two items would come up to about 38$ depending on the store, the checkout cost after shipping was ALWAYS over 50$. those two items would easily fit on a small flat rate shipping b0x nd shipping would be less than six bucks. so as much as I hated doing it, I got all the items off amazon, got free shipping and was even able to throw in a toy for my kids skylanders game and still walk away spending less than all the online reloading retailers. the only place that seems to be somewhat fair is graf's(8$ flat rate no matter what you order), although they don't always have the stuff I need in stock. why won't these places wake up and be fair. stop making money off shipping and losing money to places like amazon, I would much rather have my money go to an enterprise dedicated to my hobby, but just cant on principle.

sorry, just a rant.

who's a fair place to order reloading equipment w/o needing bulk cans of KY for shipping costs? who do you use?
Old November 2, 2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Blindstitch

You got me. I can drive to titan for cheaper than shipping and am kind of forced to use Cabelas for some reloading stuff because 30 miles away is better than paying shipping.

I thought I tried to buy something cheap from midway and they wanted to add a inexpensive under $25 processing fee which caused me not to order the items from them.

Doesn't Graf have a shipping fee and a handling fee. Someone I ordered from recently did and it didn't make me happy.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:49 PM   #3
olddav

I've always found that Midway USA shipping was reasonable unless we are talking about powder or primers. However I have seen vendors try to charge a handling fee and like ya'll have said that's where the purchase dies.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:56 PM   #4
AFK

Yeah shipping is getting very expensive. I usually try to order from places that offer free shipping if you order over a certain amount, but those are even few and far between anymore. For bullets I always use precision delta and I do use Amazon a lot. People can say what they want, but more times than not, they have the best price and free shipping. I like Midway, but I rarely order from them anymore. Their prices are usually not that great.
Old November 2, 2014, 09:01 PM   #5
trigger643

I try to support my local reloading store and they get first shot when they have it in stock. I've found Sinclair's shipping to be pretty reasonable, especially when weighed against the 9.5% sales tax we have here. I usually purchase several items, and spreading the shipping out among them seems to cushion the cost.
Old November 2, 2014, 09:18 PM   #6
skizzums

grafs is 8$ shipping. flat. that includes ship/handle. so that's pretty fair in my opinion. but I know it costs me about 6 bucks to ship anything around the country when it comes to smaller items, and am just sick of getting gouged by these people. how about they just be honest about their prices up front and not try to ring you into more money with the shipping at the end. a little honesty would go a long way. my favorite equipment store is fsreloading, favorite bullet store is grafs. but fs is getting less and less biz from me due to their shipping.

I am fortunate enough to live around three places that have good selections of powder/primers for decent prices. usually around 25-28$ per pound for powders and 25-35$ per k for primers.
Old November 2, 2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Try http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
for best prices.

But, it is a simple fact that it costs vendors time, materials and shipping to process every order, even for one item. You need to build up your orders until it is worthwhile to pay the shipping spread over a number of items. I never buy one pound of powder shipped, it would be over $50. But I will add that one pound on to a bigger order of 5000 primers and 1000 bullets, along with a few other powders.

Impulse buying a single item mail-order is generally not a good idea.

There is one possible exception though! If you have an Amazon.com Prime membership (it costs money), they will ship you anything they carry free with 2 day shipping (can't get powders though). They "carry" a large number of items. Actually, it is their affiliate companies and warehouses that they have relationships with. I recently ordered Lee dies, Frankfort Arsenal digital scale, a primer flipping tray, and Lyman tumbling media. All delivered to my door in two days by UPS. But you are not likely to find more exotic things.

Amazon is generally very cost competitive, and I buy a lot of stuff from them (not necessarily related to reloading). If you already are an Amazon fan, check to see if they carry some of your reloading stuff.

Last edited by Marco Califo; November 2, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old November 2, 2014, 09:51 PM   #8
condor bravo

But more and more shippers are starting to catch on to the USPS flat rate. I've especially been receiving bullet shipments that way. Some shipments, not necessarily bullets, start out as Fed Ex or UPS but ends up with USPS. Not sure how the shipping expense formula works out. With USPS flat rate you receive the shipment faster of course. I've been very satisfied with shipping costs during the past several months.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

I keep a list of non-essentials, stuff I want, and watch for good sale/clearance prices. Then make an order of enough stuff that the shipping events out somewhat. I doubt that I would order one mold, one set of dies, or one box of bullets.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 2, 2014, 11:46 PM   #10
skizzums

but on sites like midway, they just keep upping the charge the more stuff I order, so it doesn't really matter if I order one small item of five others. I am not talking about hazmat fees for powder and primers, simply bullets or molds are other equipment. I just think they need to get with the times or they are going to start losing their arse to big companies like amazon, and I wouldn't even feel bad. because they are not being forthcoming about the fees and trying to load you down on the back end and keeping the retail prices of the item low. maybe its just me, but it just seems dishonest. we all know good and well it cost only a few bucks to send a half pound lee mould through the mail, not 10 dollars or more. again, just ranting, but I would like to promote gun only businesses, but they make it difficult for me to spend that much extra dime just for supporting them, especially when the honesty of the transaction is in question. I would rather pay 22$ versus 18$ for a mold and get told honest prices on shipping. then I would gladly pay a couple extra bones to support a gun company if I am not being deceived.

just me.
Old November 3, 2014, 06:22 AM   #11
Ritz

If I can't find something on Amazon, I just wait until the next time I'm going to be driving past Cabelas. I like the selection on Midway, but I agree that the shipping charges are high.

Best,
Old November 3, 2014, 09:41 AM   #12
SVTCobra306

I tend to use Brownells.. yeah I have to pay tax, but I can always find a free shipping code and since they're in my state I get items the next day via UPS, so it adds up like cheap next-day air freight LOL.

Even with shipping, usually their rate is reasonable for the size of the order.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old November 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #13
Jim243

Quote:
it seems like these big reloading on-line stores just don't get it
You are right, they don't get it. 99% of what I buy is less than 20 or 25 dollars for the order. And paying 10 or 15 dollars for USPS shipping is just stupid. I believe the current rate is $5.90 for Priority Flat Rate small packages.

Midway USA has lost probably 25 or 30 such orders in the last 9 months just from me. I always look for free shipping and since Optics Planet is in the same State as me, anything over $29.95 is usually free shipping and reaches me within 3 days.

These companies do not understand or even know how much business they have lost.

Jim

Right now I am using Amazon for most of my purchases.
Old November 3, 2014, 10:40 AM   #14
catgunguy

Ever since Midwayusa dropped there minimum fee for orders I have gone back to them for all my needs. Their shipping is the lowest of most of the other suppliers. I just ordered a power adapter for my Forster trimmer and a new RCBS bullet puller and the shipping was only $3.99 with no extra charges. I think that was very low since USPS flat rate small box is $5.95 and the inertia puller is larger than that.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:24 PM   #15
emcon5

Do you have Amazon prime?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_sp...S&node=3375251
Old November 3, 2014, 09:37 PM   #16
std7mag

More and more I'm not willing to pay the shipping either.
Lately I have started just ordering stuff straight from Lee.
When it's a factory second, or over-run and the price gets knocked down some, then all the better.
Just got 2, 4hole turrets, factory seconds from Lee. $9 each. Shipping was $6 for both...