The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 10, 2013, 08:29 PM   #26
jackpine

for 100 yards and under I use a peep sight but if that isn't what your into a good scope would be a fixed 4 power and you get what you pay for. If you spend a little more on your scope you'll get better light transmission and that equals seeing your target better in the early morning and at dusk. If you buy a good scope you only buy it once and higher quality scopes will hold there value
Old July 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #27
iraiam

I generally don't go for high end scopes, I don't have a need for them, my last scope purchase was a Nikon Buckmaster, I like it.

My 30-06 has an old 1990's Bushnell Sportview 3-9X40, as I recall it was a $150 years ago when the dollar was worth more. It has been a great scope, it never looses zero, and it's been knocked around some. I am thinking about upgrading this scope, but for no other reason than to get better optics, my eyes are not what they used to be.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #28
jackpine

Quote:
generally don't go for high end scopes, I don't have a need for them
need isn't even part of it unless per say your on a once in a lifetime hunt and you need to tell the difference between a deer and the brownish background that it's standing in. I have gotten by with lower cost scoped but I can see a solid reason to spend what you can on quality glass.
Old July 14, 2013, 04:35 AM   #29
natman

Quote:
The place that I hunt is very dense with jack pine trees. I usually hunt from first light to just about dark. I do not anticipate taking shots over 100 yards.
Under these conditions get a 1.5x- 5 or 6 scope, or better still a fixed 2 power if you can find one. Most of the time leave it no higher than 2 power. The low magnification will make target acquisition fast, the image bright and you don't need much magnification to hit a deer cleanly at 100 yards.

The last thing you need under the conditions stated is a 3-9. Three power is slower than 2 up close and 9 power is wasted for hunting at such short range.

The reason to avoid inexpensive scopes on hunting rifles is reliability. I have lots of inexpensive scopes - on my range toys. If the scope packs up, I'll shoot something else that day. If the scope packs up on a hunting trip....
Old July 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Westcoaster

Based on where you hunt, thick pine with less than 100 yard shots, I would recommend some kind of fixed power scope in 2 or 4 power. In variables a 1-4, 2-7 or 3-9 would fit the bill.

I would council you to getting as good glass as you can afford, after all that is the device that connects your bullet with the game.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:41 AM   #31
Picher

I like a 2-7x or 3-9x if it's necessary to shoot an antlered deer. In poor light, I've turned the magnification up to spot antlers, then turned it down for the shot.

When using a fixed 2.5x scope it was often not possible to be sure of antlers and taking binoculars out to see, causes motion and takes too much time.

(I never look at people through my rifle scope...even if the rifle isn't loaded.)
Old July 27, 2013, 05:22 PM   #32
LIBERTY

I've been using the same 4x Leupold on my 270 for over 45 years and it still works like new. With the Leupold you only buy a scope once and they are guaranteed for life. I've hunted from the rainforest of the N.W to Florida and Alaska to Mexico in all kinds of terrain and cover and never felt like I needed a different scope, Try it you might like it. P.S A used Leupold would be just as good as a new one since if there is something wrong with it they will fix it for free and thank you with a smile.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:40 PM   #33
ThomasT

I just got a flyer from Midway USA yesterday and they have Weaver K-4 fixed power scopes for $135.00. I am thinking real hard about ordering one. Fixed power scopes are getting hard to find.

I also have been upgrading my scopes from cheaper Simmons and Bushnels to Nikon Prostaffs and Leupold Rifleman and VX-1s. The difference in quality is easy to see. I really like the 2x7 scopes I own. They are lighter and smaller and give me all the light gathering I need.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:11 PM   #34
lefteye

If you only hunt in a dense pine forest, then a low fixed power scope such as a 2X or 2.5X would be OK. My preference for virtually all hunting is a variable, either a 2X-7X (on my .243) or a 2.5X-8X (on my .270, 7mm, and .300 Mag). The quality of optics, both scopes and binoculars, varies directly with the price, i.e., almost without exception, the highest price is the highest quality and the lowest price is the lowest quality. I think Leupold Vari-X III scopes are a decent value - not cheap but not the most costly. If I had your rifle I'd put a Leupold VX3 2.5X-8X on it for about $400 plus the cost of rings and bases. Leupold, like most manufacturers, offers cheaper scopes and more expensive scopes.
Old August 2, 2013, 07:14 AM   #35
sc928porsche

Some good recommendations on here for immediate use. I do have a little different opinion than most for the reason that you may not always be hunting in the type of terrain that you describe. You may have an opertunity to do some hunting elsewhere in the future. For that reason I would recommend the following. Something in a 3-9x50 A/O.

For the most part, you will be hunting with the 3 power and your objective will be set at close range (parallax and focus). The 50mm will give you a large field of view. If you do get out of the trees and have a shot at a longer distance, all you will have to do is bring up the power and if necessary adjust the objective (clear focus usually indicates the range and sets the parallax). You will also find the higher power helpful at the range to see those little holes in the target because as you know, one must practice, practice, practice.

You will find some decent scopes in 3-9x50 A/O in a variety of brands with prices ranging from $100-$300. No need to get expensive glass. I would steer away from the "bargin" scopes, but something mid line will do fine.
Old August 14, 2013, 05:50 PM   #36
mwmjones

buy a used Leupold, Burris or Nikon all great glass, you can't go wrong with any of them