The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
t45

Olympic Arms AR 15 Flat Top carbine quality

Just picked up my new Olympic Arms PPFT AR 15 carbine in 5.56 at my LGS. After reading many mixed reviews I have to say the quality is far better than was lead to believe. Most of the reviews were older posts complaining about out of spec cast lowers. The new Olympics now have forged upper and lowers. The trigger felt very good and will probably smooth out more as it is fired. I have not had a chance to range test it yet but if the quality is any indication of its reliability, I'll be very pleased with the purchase.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Oly's bad rep goes back to the 90's when they made a cast upper/lower and sold a ultra cheap AR. These were crap rifles. The Oly mil-spec stuff is GTG. I would bet most negative comments on Oly come from people that have never owned one.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Mr.Scott

They got a bad rep in. The 90s. They got better and are one of the few that actually makes the parts for their guns and don't just source parts and slap a gun together. They also offer a wide variety of caliber choices.
Most of the Internet hate usually comes from people that compare it to "the chart" or "some guy at the range 20 stalls down was having problems, I think it was an Olympic.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:15 AM   #4
globemaster3

I own Olympic ARs in 5.56 and 6.8. I've had no problem with fit/finish, quality, or accuracy. I have a couple more on order.

+1 to above in terms of other comments and the cast receivers. I've visited their factory and the are milling their own receivers, barrels, etc. Bunch of good folks.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:22 AM   #5
thatgrittyguy

I have one with close to a thousand rounds so far. Never an issue. Love it.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
btmj

Read this thread... post #10 by Hansam

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493993
Old January 29, 2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Scorch

Olympic Arms ARs are a good rifle. They make their own receiver forgings, their own barrels, and many of their small parts. I think it is one of the best deals on the market, in part due to their vertical integration giving lower prices (more bang for the buck). And they have a lifetime warranty.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
shootniron

I think they are good rifles.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:12 AM   #9
nfafan

This...

"Read this thread... post #10 by Hansam

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493993 "

My Oly "Plinker Plus" GI-16 CAR version (their A1 KISS guns) was sooo filthy the FCG looked like it was made of gray fur. Still ran fine, but I was shamed into cleaning it by my son. I had been running mostly Tula and Wolf - filthy ammo.
Whatever, it has been flawless from Day 1 - which to be honest, is to be expected when you buy something.

One side benny to an Oly is that many are so spooked by their old rep that they can be found all over the auction sites for a relative low price.

Check this out too, Sturm is a straight-shooter and calls them as he sees them;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80GYF...D8951&index=29