The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2013, 07:42 PM   #26
wap41

roa

I'm sure ruger would do great if they brought back the ruger old army in .50 cal.I'd stand in line to get one.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:39 AM   #27
mykeal

Quote:
I'd stand in line to get one.
At what price? $600? $700?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:15 PM   #28
woodnbow

They could set retail at $700 and have folks lined up waiting for 'em...
Old January 27, 2013, 03:38 PM   #29
Hawg

But would enough folks line up to make it worth their while? I doubt it.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:44 PM   #30
stepmac

Bill Ruger was a dreamer and he was fascinated by the old BP pistols. He decided to make the best one ever made and he did it. If you are a BP pistol shooter you NEED one of Ruger's Old Army pistols. You can load that baby up to nearly 44 mag performance. (always using BP of course)I love mine and she shoots HARD.....or you can make it shoot soft. The charm of shooting BP.

When SASS happened they shot old west looking pistols and eschewed the Ruger, which, of course is far better than any of the others.

No one thought Bill Ruger's No 1 would sell, but I have three and wish I had 20 of them. Ruger No1's are some of my very favorite rifles to shoot.

But really, you need one of those Ruger Old Army's. They are a ball to shoot. Of course it's slow going, but who cares? A day on the range is always a great day!
Old January 27, 2013, 05:02 PM   #31
wap41

I don't think $6-700 for a 50cal would be out of line at all.There is a gunsmith that will convert your ROA to a five shot 50 cal for about $1200.So $6-700 would be a deal in my opinion,
Old January 27, 2013, 05:09 PM   #32
Hawg

Quote:
When SASS happened they shot old west looking pistols and eschewed the Ruger, which, of course is far better than any of the others.
You need to do some research before you go spouting off untruths. When SASS was started Rugers were more easily available than repros. SASS rules allowed Ruger Blackhawks and ROA's. They still do, even tho some single actions and pump shotguns that were used up until 1899 are not allowed. IMHO they should not be allowed because SASS rules state firearms in use from 1860-1899.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #33
B.L.E.

SASS allows Ruger single actions even though they did not exist back then because they fit "the spirit of the game" and provide no real competitive advantage to the shooter.
ROA's are allowed however if it has adjustable sights, it has to compete in "modern" along with the flat top Blackhawks and Colts with adjustable sights.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:23 PM   #34
robhof

robhof

As for being the best? Tingle actually made a few B/p revolvers that used 50gr of powder and were supposed to have been stronger than the ROA, this was before the ROA and the cost of the Tingle killed it too. I've seen only one at auction and the starting bid could buy a nice house in today's market.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:49 AM   #35
olmontanaboy

It was a first class revolver and you had to pay the price for it. Many people want cheap and will settle for hit or miss quality in a percussion revolver. If I could own only one gun and it had to be a percussion revolver I would fight to get the Ruger.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #36
stepmac

Hey, Hawg; lighten up thar ol'boy! My point was not that the ROA is not allowed in SASS shooting, but that shooters like the original looking guns better.

For straight old fashioned BP pistol shoot'n I think the ROA is the best gun ever made. I shoot Remingtons and the Ruger and like the Ruger better. It is a heavy, hard shooting pistol. I sometimes load half jacketed bullets in mine over 40 grains of FF and she really talks with that load. I usually load 22 grains of FF and a 457 round ball in my Italian Remingtons. They shoot fine too, but I don't load them as hot as I do the ROA.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:24 PM   #37
stepmac

I don't know why anyone would re-bore the ROA to .50 cal, but whatever floats your boat. Nor do I understand why anyone would want a pistol more powerful than a .44 mag, but; same boat, same lake.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #38
deerslayer303

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would re-bore the ROA to .50 cal, but whatever floats your boat. Nor do I understand why anyone would want a pistol more powerful than a .44 mag, but; same boat, same lake.
Same reason anyone would buy a Walker, Or a 45-70 Revolver......JUST BECAUSE!!
Old January 29, 2013, 05:53 PM   #39
Hawg

Quote:
Hey, Hawg; lighten up thar ol'boy! My point was not that the ROA is not allowed in SASS shooting, but that shooters like the original looking guns bet
I dunno, a lot of folks in SASS like them. I'm not one of them however.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:08 AM   #40
thickice

When SASS was started Rugers were more easily available than repros. SASS rules allowed Ruger Blackhawks and ROA's. They still do, even tho some single actions and pump shotguns that were used up until 1899 are not allowed. IMHO they should not be allowed because SASS rules state firearms in use from 1860-1899.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:13 PM   #41
Captainkirk

I read "somewhere" (online) that the Ruger folks have been trying to kill the ROA for a decade or more, but Bill Ruger said (approximately; my quote is out of context) "As long as I'm alive, the ROA will be produced."
The decision to drop the ROA came shortly after his death.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #42
mykeal

Quote:
The decision to drop the ROA came shortly after his death.
I guess 'shortly' means something a little different to some folks. Bill Ruger died July 6, 2002. The Ruger Old Army was discontinued in 2008.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:27 PM   #43
4V50 Gary
Staff

If anything killed it, it was marketing. Marketing would forecast what the consumer market wanted and what was on hand. They would then schedule the production. This was what I was told when I used to take the Ruger Armourers' schools at the factory.

The volume was probably not there to justify the production set up costs. More money could be had in making other things. Businesses are there to make money, not lose it.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:16 PM   #44
rclark

Quote:
The volume was probably not there to justify the production set up costs. More money could be had in making other things. Businesses are there to make money, not lose it.
That is my guess too. I would buy another one if they were released. They are wonderful BP revolvers. I only have one. Like to get a 5 1/2" sometime and one with a fixed sight. So I can see there is still a 'niche' market.... Just not a big enough one to gear up for. Seems people want more 'slab sides' guns than the good 'o revolver and us BP shooters are on the low end of the revolver scale to cater to.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:42 PM   #45
Fingers McGee

Quote:
ding dingding. We have a winner. MONEY is why they discontinued the ROA.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 3, 2013, 11:18 PM   #46
thickice

HAWG, you didn't answer my question about which pre 99 single actions aren't allowed in SASS.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:01 AM   #47
Hawg

Quote:
HAWG, you didn't answer my question about which pre 99 single actions aren't allowed in SASS
I didn't see it. I had to go back and look to see what you were talking about. I should have left out the sa part. My bad. AFAIK all the single action revolvers that meet caliber restrictions are legal.