The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Lost Sheep

Lee Pistol FCD the virtue and the vice

Thanks to blazerbowe for sharing his question on his thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=691028

The post-sizing feature of the Lee Pistol FCD (Factory Crimp Die) would "cure" blazerbowe's problem (the virtue). This, according to Lee Precision, is the principal reason for the existence of the pistol FCD.

But it would do nothing to identify or cure the cause (the vice)

In fact, by squishing the bullet inside the case, might create another problem (inadequate grip of the case on the bullet or loose bullet tension). This is particularly problematic with lead bullets, less so with jacketed.

I took this opportunity to post because these simple facts often get lost in the heated rhetoric that sometimes invades threads about the Lee FCD.

Thanks for reading.

Lost Sheep
Old December 23, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
jcwit

Very informative post and an excellent explanation.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
leadchucker

I agree. Using the FCD to "fix" a round size problem is not good practice. I use the Lee FCD only as a QC step. If the round goes up into the FCD with little or no resistance, it passes. If I get rounds that the FCD is trying to "fix", I know it's time to look at what's causing it.

The Lee FCD is quite useful in this capacity.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
jepp2

Kind of a technicality, but you are talking about the CFCD, not the FCD. There is a difference and they make both for handguns.

I have a totally different use for the Lee CFCD (Carbide Factory Crimp Die). I use it on fired brass to full length size. Then I use the normal carbide sizing die to just size the neck past where the bullet seats to. It results in a much smoother case exterior. I'm not suggesting you have to do this, I'm just responding to how I use the Lee CFCD.

For both pistols and revolvers I have never had any issues with passing the pluk or ka-boom test with any lead bullets (without using the CFCD post bullet seating). I only use bullets 0.001" over the standard groove diameter.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:43 AM   #5
chris in va

I wasn't getting any of my boolits to go in straight until sized at .002 over bore. Unfortunately some of these would not chamber completely so I started using the FCD and all has been well since.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:52 AM   #6
jim8115

One thing I know for sure. In my XD40, which really doesnt really like SWC's anyway.
Loading Missouri 170 SWC, I have to seat them at 1.110 to get them to fit the chanmber. No matter what I do, they would not feed , until I ran them through the FCD. I dont know why, but the ones that have been run through the FCD function 100% . I would prefer not to use the FCD on lead, but in this case I do.

JIM
Old December 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I like to use it on revolver rounds. I seat, and remove most of the flare of the round. I use the FCD to finish the roll crimp. It works just as advertised in that capacity.
Old December 28, 2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

EVERYONE who read this thread should read this

Post #3 on this thread

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/6586...tml#post818877

Thank you, Iowegan. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I don't agree 100% with EVERY opinion he holds, but the post is... well you owe it to yourself to read, think and form your own opinion.

Lost Sheep