The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 18, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Duckkkkk

Does anyone have an opinion on this Blackhawk IWB holster?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ins...,1517,1418.htm

I love the look of protection for the gun and protection from skin contact, yet accessibility for a quick draw. I've done some big time serious research on holsters and this looks like the one within my price range.

I understand there's some very nice custom stuff out there, but I have to keep it reasonable price wise.

I'm trying to verify with Blackhawk that my Sig 2022 will work with this holster. It's not listed on the side pull down, but I believe it is when I download the gun listing, but only in black. About the only thing I don't like is the straight down seating and no forward cant.

If this doesn't work out, a Stoner Holster is the next choice.
Old April 20, 2011, 09:15 PM   #2
justjim75

bit of a price difference but at least look at this guys stuff, he's a member of my gun club and a neighbor. http://sammitchellsaddlery.com/products3.htm
Old April 21, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Sixer

I started off with a similar style holster... The IWB with a single clip is nice for easy on and off.

However, if you plan to carry on a fairly regular basis you may be better served with an IWB holster that uses leather belt loops with snaps. It distributes the weight of the gun more evenly, it's more secure, and IMHO more comfortable.

I also prefer a slight to medium forward cant... for me it's easier to conceal and provides an easier draw. With the single clip IWB holster you don't have the option of any forward angle.

Just my thoughts

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old April 23, 2011, 02:40 AM   #4
r_magill

Overall, the holster does not look to bad. The only possible issue I would have with it is the clip. I personally prefer a slight forward cant on my holsters and I have a different holster (not blackhawk) with a similar clip and I have had problems with getting the holster on/off and with it adjusting its cant while I wear it.

The leather straps with snaps are a lot easier to get on/off, but you need to make sure the straps fit your belt. If they are too big, the holster will pull out of your pants when you draw (yes, I have gone through quite a few holsters that did not work for me, if you can't tell ). Just my .02, YMMV.
Old April 23, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
frozenchosen

i have one

i have that holster for my xd 45 5in. i like it way better than the last one i had (uncle mikes) but it is not perfect. with a good belt, it would probably be a lot better, but it works fine for me right now.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Duckkkkk

It come down to this holster or a Stoner, and I ended up with the Stoner mostly due to they were very quick in answering questions about their products.

Plus I like to spend my money with the smaller guy if possible. I did like that Blackhawk holster though.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index....a4155817a0046d
Old April 26, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
chupps

I have two of these blackhawk holsters:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ins...,1151,1418.htm

One for my J frame snubby and one for my full size 1911. They seem to offer adequate protection from contact with my skin and the adjustable cant is a great feature.