The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 7, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Old Geezer

Old Geezer

I still have my target rifle after nearly 50 years. It is based on a US Springfield action. Looking it over and checking for rust, it brought back many pleasant memories including winning my relay in the Leach Cup. I was wondering just how old the action is. US Springfield 1903, ser. 1236xxx. Thank you for a great site and I have enjoyed it for quite a while.
Old July 7, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Jim Watson

1921: 1211300 - 1239640
Old July 7, 2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Old Geezer

Old Geezer

Thank you.
Old July 8, 2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Hawg

pics please.
Old July 8, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

And a sample target, us old geezers like old geezer guns that still shoot. Not a target gun but I bet you would like to take a few shots through my old 25-20 that passed 100 20 years ago. Still shoots better than I can with iron sights.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 8, 2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Old Geezer

Old Geezer

Alas, Alas, I would love to show pics but it is no longer a "target" rifle but has been converted to a sporter with a sporter stock. It had a Mod. 70 bull gun barrel, 30/06, which I finally destroyed the throat and had to have it cut back and cut down to military specs and rechambered to 30/06. The original weighed in at 13 pounds and still has the international iron sights. The few times I've had it on the bench it is still a tack driver at 100 yards. I'm not picture literate and don't know how to post them...yet. I also had a 25-20 and a 32/20, both model 92s when I was a kid. Thanks
Old July 8, 2010, 11:21 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Something to be said for those older Springfields that were target guns. I've one that I've yet to fire. It has a Lyman 48 rear aperture and a Griffin & Howe detachable scope mount system that features a Lyman Alaskan scope. The only thing wrong with the gun is that the front sight must be tightened. As a companion piece, I have a M-2 Springfield that looks just like the customized 30-06.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:56 PM   #8
jamesicus

A nostalgic photo from circa 1959 -- NRA High power rifle National Match Course - posed 200 yd standing to sitting position:

Winchester model 70 cal 30/06 heavy barrel Match rifle with Redfield Mark 8 International sights. I do believe I am using a Freeland cuff sling here -- I usually used the standard M1907 Military sling, but I was shooting some ISU three position at the time and got to really like the cuff sling (I used it on my hunting rifles too). Note the old 10x jacket, GI cartridge belt, campaign hat and bloused paratrooper boots -- kinda spiffy at that!

JP
Old July 14, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My picture would have looked like yours if I had one except for the stupid cap we had to wear and our gun was a Match grade .308 M1 Garand. 30 years later I still sling up without thinking about it the same way I did then inspite of the salesman trying to get me to try his sling using a modified hasty sling. I couldn't do it, my arm only knew how to get into a sling one way.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--