The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 15, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1
talonap

Illinois Plinking

Is there such a thing as a place to go and just, "shoot stuff", around Southern Cook/Northern Will counties? Would be nice just to go out to, "Plink", without having to get a hunting license, wear orange, and keep saying, "Oops, missed again" , when shooting at an, "invisible", squirell. Thanks in advance.
Old November 30, 2005, 11:25 AM   #2
it_guru_jkdg

IL ranges.

there is Rink's gun range in Lockport, IL ($8 for the day indoors)
Megasports range RT 10 Plainfield, il $18 for the day indoors)

and the best site to find most of the ranges in most states.
http://wheretoshoot.org/

Good luck and Happy ' Hunting"
Old November 30, 2005, 09:06 PM   #3
PoiDog

A bit farther out, but Buffalo Rock outside Ottawa is a pretty good place to go. I think they have a "plinking" area.

Megasports and Rink's are paper targets only. So is the ISRA range, and it's members only. (Outside Kankakee)
Old December 1, 2005, 12:36 PM   #4
mack59

I just go out my back door and shoot on my 50 yard range - now if I just had a 1000 yard range.
Old December 6, 2005, 09:27 AM   #5
talonap

Thanks!

Thank you all for your replies.

it_guru_jkdg
Lockport, IL ($8 for the day indoors)
Megasports range RT 10 Plainfield, il $18 for the day indoors)

Sounds good, but Lockport is way too far. (I'm in Matteson), and Megasports sounds way too expensive. Guess when you more or less have a monopoly, you can rip people off as much as you want.

PoiDog
A bit farther out, but Buffalo Rock outside Ottawa is a pretty good place to go. I think they have a "plinking" area.

Megasports and Rink's are paper targets only. So is the ISRA range, and it's members only. (Outside Kankakee
)

Again, distance is an issue. ISRA is even more of a rip off than Mega Sports - a fortune to join, then another fortune to join the range - plus haveing to work there

Mack59
I just go out my back door and shoot on my 50 yard range - now if I just had a 1000 yard range.

You have your own range in Cook County - or anywhere around it? Must be nice...

Thanks again for you're replies - they are appreciated - even though the answer seems to be, "no", to my original question.
Old December 13, 2005, 08:52 PM   #6
rex

I choose to go to Rinks. It is not as fancy as Megasports, but much cheaper. I can handle hand cranking in my targes over flicking a switch
Old December 19, 2005, 03:13 PM   #7
it_guru_jkdg

I agree

I think there is a place in bufflo grove, but it is rifle only, I here it's a big giant pit ( summer time only ) with bench rest and the pit is 300 to 400 feet away.

qoute;;;;
I choose to go to Rinks. It is not as fancy as Megasports, but much cheaper. I can handle hand cranking in my targes over flicking a switch
qoute;;;
right on. well worth half the cost, although I did get some melting ice dropping on at ricks on booth 1 and 2. i Just kept my jacket on.

Live, Liberty and the pursuit or More GUN FREEDOMS!!
Old December 21, 2005, 12:06 AM   #8
rex

Yikes, ice melting guru? Rinks could use a face lift like some better lighting, but I still think it's a decent place to shoot.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:42 PM   #9
John Krzos

Shooting in Cook County

Talonap,

Some gun shops are

Chicago Ridge-Oak Lawn area-southwest highway

Chuck's Gun Shop-143 rd and Indiana-Riverdale

If'n you want to go to ISRA, let me know because I belong to the range. I also Live in Matteson. Email me at [email protected].

John Krzos
Old January 10, 2006, 12:46 AM   #10
coonan357

Rinks is not going to update anytime soon as the place is forsale ( 2 mill) and they where talking about closing , Megasports IS $18 per hour not day ( and you get treated like your a criminal by the staff ) the Isra range you can BUy out your work if you want to , Nice range , nice people , simple rules , Buffalo rock last time I heard it was going to be closed down again for enviormental reasons . the gun shop is supposed to be opening up a new one in New lenox but don't know when .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old January 10, 2006, 03:52 PM   #11
John Krzos

Gun Ranges-Illinois

Buffalo Rock is open according to some folks that I talked to. Will check out next week, when we go to the cabins. Bringing the guns to shoot. All knids of clubs around that area, but you need to be a member.

John Krzos
Old January 10, 2006, 09:12 PM   #12
Dust_Devil

Quote:
I think there is a place in bufflo grove, but it is rifle only, I here it's a big giant pit ( summer time only ) with bench rest and the pit is 300 to 400 feet away.
I believe you must be thinking of Buffalo Rock range in Ottawa. I lived in the Northern part of Illinois for a long time and never heard of any ranges in the area of Buffalo Grove, especially "rifle only" shooting pits which would make no sense at all for a gun range in anti-gun Illinois. I don't think all the shooters I knew and including myself could not know there was a "rifle only" pit in Buffalo Grove or any range for that matter. Unless there was some privately owned range on some farm or something where the owner only let his friends on.

Buffalo Rock had to be the most "free" as far as how the operators treated the shooters as aside from basic safety rules and a restiction of metal and glass targets, they weren't all over your back, didn't tell you what kind of gun you could shoot and didn't check you for any FOID cards. One of the coolest ranges I been to. Almost felt like you were in another state.

I lived in Elgin and the only shooting plinking area I knew of was Buffalo Range. Then you had Sycamore Sportmans Club which you could shoot from benches at 100 yards which was open to the public on certain days. Otherwise all the other ranges were trap/skeet clubs or snotty and expensive sportsman's clubs. The ISRA was all the way down towards Kankakee and too far for me to drive and pay the expensive membership fee.
Bristol Shooting Range was across the border in Wisconsin which has a nice 250 yard range, but has this one round in the rifle at a time rule.

Gun World in Bensenville is a small 75 ft indoor range, but they allow centerfire rifles. No steel tipped ammo allowed such as Wolf, but otherwise was a place to shoot your ARs and stuff during the winter. There is another indoor one too that allowed rifles. Maxons, I think in Des Plaines.
Old January 11, 2006, 01:41 AM   #13
rex

Buffalo Range

I checked on the Buffalo Range website and they are closed until March 31st, 2006. I have never been there, but I plan on checking it out this spring. You can check out their site here http://buffalorange.tripod.com/

Here is another web site I found that lists ranges in Illinois.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=IL