The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Bravo25

CLP Break down?

I have a bottle of CLP that seems to have seperated into different compounds, and broken down in to different chemicals. The bottom of the bottle is thick waxy like substance, and there is liquid floating on top. I was wondering if...
1. anyone has seen this before?
2. Is there a shelf life to CLP?
3. Is there a better single compound for in the field kits?
4. Can there be an adverse effect on firearms cleaned with CLP?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 10, 2005, 01:02 PM   #2
johnbt

That's the way it's made. I have some that is many years old and it's just fine.

Shake well before using.

John
Old August 10, 2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Silent Bob

It's just the teflon settled to the bottom. I wouldn't worry about shelf life, the Army routinely uses CLP that's been stored for years. Like has already been said, just shake it well before use.
Old August 10, 2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Eghad

There is a shelf life on it...... usually about three years on the military bottle lable I am looking at. You could have large batches tested in the military in the military oil lab and they would extend that date. Depending on the conditons it was store in would have a lot to do with the shelf life also.

However if its a small batch why not buy a new bottle and take any chances.

NRA Life Member
Old August 10, 2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

This is one "problem" that turned up with CLP type lubes when the police started using them.

When using CLP, you have to REALLY shake the dickens out of the bottle to properly mix it.

Too many cops weren't, and when they applied the lube, all they were getting was solvent.
The Teflon had settled to the bottom.

The problem revealed itself when cops guns started rusting and jamming.

In your case, the milky looking, waxy stuff at the bottom is actually the microscopic particles of Teflon that was not properly mixed when you used it.

In order to prevent this, on your next bottle, drop a couple of small ball bearings, or a small nut or two into the bottle.

Shake the HELL out of the bottle so the ball bearings will help thoroughly mix the chemicals, and as you use it, shake the bottle again ever so often.