The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 26, 2018, 02:54 PM   #26
s3779m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
I have both the 10/22 and the Marlin 60. IMO, the Marlin is better out of the box. It always amuses me to see folks bragging about how great their 10/22 is and how it shoots - and then you find out the only original piece still on the gun is the aluminum receiver shell that has the serial number. Most have spent so much in upgrades, they could have simply bought an Anschutz for less money.
That's part of the fun. My favorite 10-22 only has one "ruger " part on it and that is the new trigger they have come out with. Everything else has come from various places.
Old July 26, 2018, 03:28 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
That's part of the fun.
Agreed. Not all of my 10/22s are heavily modified (most aren't), but the process is part of the fun (and none of them come close to the price of an Anschutz - nor would I want them to). To each his own.
Old July 27, 2018, 04:41 AM   #28
LilHog

I just usually upgrade the trigger in mine and add bolt buffer. I find my stock ruger 10/22 barrels shoot very nicely. I recently pick up a 10/22 takedown and I'm impressed with it's accuracy.
Old July 27, 2018, 05:33 AM   #29
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHog View Post
I just usually upgrade the trigger in mine and add bolt buffer. I find my stock ruger 10/22 barrels shoot very nicely. I recently pick up a 10/22 takedown and I'm impressed with it's accuracy.
Yup, what he said. I installed a yellow jacket bolt buffer, and put a Power Custom hammer in the stock trigger group. Are the only upgrades besides an extended mag release.
Old July 27, 2018, 07:07 AM   #30
pblanc

The Ruger 10/22 upgrades that I have found "necessary" are trigger work and some change in sights. The stock trigger is mediocre and the sights are not very usable for my old eyes. But exactly the same can be said for the Marlin 60, which I have shot.

One of my Rugers I use with a scope, so that one still has the original sights. The other has a pair of Tech Sight iron sights with a TS-200RL rail-mounted rear sight on the stock Ruger accessory rail.

In addition, I have added recoil pads to both simply to improve the length of pull to better fit me. I would have had the same issue with the Marlin.

I did modify the bolt catch levers on both trigger groups, a simple job. The triggers were worked on by Brimstone Gunsmithing. One got a Tier 3 trigger job, so it still has all the original parts. The other got a Tier 2 trigger job, so it has a new trigger shoe, trigger spring and over-travel stop.

I bought a couple of Tandemkross bolt buffers for $10. Those are about the only non-stock parts on my Ruger 10/22s.
Old July 27, 2018, 11:02 AM   #31
the possum

I've always thought the 10/22's were known for reliability, but the standard carbines are generally not all that accurate. Sounds like some of the posters in this thread were lucky enough to get a good one, or perhaps they've improved since mine were made in the 1990's.

I recently put a Green Mountain fluted sporter barrel on one of mine to improve accuracy. It's easily 2 or 3 times more accurate than the factory barrel. I sighted in a different scope with it last weekend, and was shooting consistent 3/4" groups at 50 yards, which I was pretty happy with. The old barrel could barely do that at 25 yards, and only with one specific type of ammo that cost 2-3 times more.
Old August 7, 2018, 01:24 AM   #32
oughtsix

I have owned my 10/22's for over two decades and the stock magazine release and and bolt hold open work just fine. On a whim I upgraded the mag release and bolt hold open on my ultralight 10/22 a month or so ago.... I immediately ordered another set for my heavy bench target 10/22.

Ignorance is bliss... if you don't know what you are missing you won't miss it.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:59 AM   #33
Hdonly

I have a 10-22 that is about 5 or 6 years old. I can tear all the paper out of any bullseye that I have shot at in the 35-40 yard distance. Nothing has been done to it except slimming down and refinishing the 2x4 stock it came with. It doesn't seem to care what ammo I shoot in it. I can out shoot my friend that has a new Marlin 60. But, I can out shoot him with his rifle too, haha (he doesn't think it's very funny). His is kind of picky about ammo brands. I love my 10-22. Sounds like it is a rare one from a lot that read about 10-22s out of the box.
Old August 21, 2018, 12:10 PM   #34
gshayd

I upgraded my 10-22 with a new barrel, Houge stock, and a Trigger unit from Clark. it does under 1/2 inch at 50 yards.
Old August 21, 2018, 12:51 PM   #35
mgulino

I have both a Ruger 10-22 and a Marlin 60 (pre-85, with the 22" barrel and magazine tube). Both will feed and shoot anything I choose to try.
The Marlin is original, but I added a bolt buffer and a bolt hold-open after last shot to the Ruger.
Added cheap 4x scopes on each (my old eyes aren't what they used to be) and both will shoot nickel-sized holes at 50 yards.

Last edited by mgulino; August 22, 2018 at 07:35 AM.