The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Marty8613

Okay, so I'll reload

My wife says to me yesterday.
"So why don't you use this otherwise useless spot here to reload?"

I love this woman.

I have no clue where to begin.

Help.
Old May 19, 2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

While I haven't begun reloading myself, this seems like a good place to start: For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST.

ETA: Be sure to thank your wife.
Old May 19, 2014, 01:28 PM   #3
jwrowland77

That's like when my wife tells me, "hey, why don't you go reload, or "hey, don't you have something you need to reload?"

Personally I think it's just because she wants to watch her chick flicks or the Hallmark channel, but I never turn down a chance to reload. There's always something needing to be done. Lol
Old May 19, 2014, 01:39 PM   #4
wogpotter

How big a spot & what is the surroundings?
What are you reloading? Just one caliber or a bunch of them?

It's possible to reload on a bar stool top. Possible, but not fun.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 19, 2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Marty8613

Ha ha, noted

Quote:
Personally I think it's just because she wants to watch her chick flicks or the Hallmark channel, but I never turn down a chance to reload. There's always something needing to be done. Lol
Actually no, her father reloaded, and it is one of her good memories from childhood. The spot is unpowered but can be temporarily powered by extension nearby, nothing I would do permanent powerwise. I think it was meant to be a small bar. One wide drawer and two overhead cabinets, the shelf is sized about the same as a student desk. Small little area really.

I currently only have pistols in .380, .40 and .45, I may buy a 9mm one day, that day isn't today. I do expect a 12G and 20G shotgun eventually. No clue what rifle I will get when the hunting bug hits.

The space is small, but in her recollection, it would fit.
Old May 19, 2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Blindstitch

Sounds like you should focus on a press to do the pistol calibers on and the tools around that. If you don't shoot a million shotgun shells I would suggest you don't even bother.

I have a friend with the Mec reloader for shotgun and it's a nice easy system to reload with but it takes up some space and all the shotgun stuff seems to take up more space than rifle or pistol calibers. Depending on what you shoot 100 rounds of shotgun can be bought for $25-28. Probably can't be made much cheaper.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:47 PM   #7
BigJimP

You can get by with a desk sized operation for metallic ..or shotshells...or both ( even 30" wide or so is enough room.....but 42" would be better)..../ move the loader in that you are using, bolt it down ....and move the one you're not using out...

Check out the Dillon Precision website....they have a lot of good gen info / which of their loaders might work best for your needs, etc...

http://www.dillonprecision.com/ I favor the Dillon 650 press, with the electric case feeder. The 650 press will do a variety of handgun and rifle calibers...and it auto indexes ...and is a really solid press.
--------------
MEC has a good site as well...for shotshells. MEC's loaders are gague specific ...so you'll need two machines, one for 12ga and one for 20ga...

http://www.mecshootingsports.com/ I prefer the MEC 9000 GN or HN - but the Grabber model is also a good machine.
--------------
You'll need some space to store powder and primers....to clean cases in a vibrating tumbler..and while we all seem to have a variety of stuff laying around on our benches ( a lot of it could be put away )....
Old May 19, 2014, 08:08 PM   #8
ligonierbill

First, make sure your work space has really good lighting. That's all the power you really need, unless you want to run a digital scale. So a power strip will do just fine. All of the big makers offer an "all inclusive" kit. They're not really "all", but they will certainly get you started. Go to Midway or Graf's or one of the others and check the reviews of the various makes. I use RCBS, but that's just because I got a Rock Chucker many moons ago and stayed with them. Although you can get any load data you want on-line, I like to browse load manuals. I have half a dozen, but I would suggest Speer and/or Hornady, as they seem to have a lot of pistol bullets. Good luck and enjoy yourself!
Old May 19, 2014, 08:20 PM   #9
Chili Palmer

second, find out what she wants out of the deal
Old May 20, 2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Marty8613

LOL

Quote:
second, find out what she wants out of the deal
She wants to help. And shoot.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:29 AM   #11
wogpotter

OK, you have plenty of room.

I still just have a small stand for storage & a single 6' long bench. Power is helpful, even if it involves a cord. Seeing is important, so dream up a decent fairly shadowless lighting. 2 desk-lamps at opposite ends or a fluorescent on chains above are pretty "standard".

Start by reading a few of the "Just getting started" threads here & elsewhere. It'll give you a fast push through the "what questions to ask" part of the steep uphill bit of the process. Research first, question second buy third.

I usually do not suggest multi-station "progressive presses" for absolute beginners. 3 reasons for that.

1. Price. They are an expensive mistake to make at the beginning of the process. Being complex you have a bigger chance of a mistake as well.

2. Complexity. Seasoned reloaders forget how daunting it was starting off, I endorse the KISS principle at the beginning.

3. Learning. You won't get as good a step-by-step introduction as you will with a basic, but good single stage press.

3a. (kidding) you'll always find a use for the single stage even if you graduate to a high end fully progressive auto indexing whizz-bang supertool later.

There is no "perfect" brand! You'll soon be exposed to the "Red Vs Blue Vs Green Kool Aid" brigades who think only brand X is perfect & everything else is junk. They all work,if they didn't they'd no longer be on sale or in business. Once you get into the details you'll soon find out what features you want & need. That's one of the "which question to ask" things where research before purchase will be a huge friend to you.

Start with just one setup dong just one size. You can port the experience over to more calibers later.

Make small (tiny) batches to start off with. A magazine's worth. Your beginner's mistakes will be easily fixed when there's only a few of them & everyone makes beginners mistakes.

Don't be intimidated by interweb horror stories about blowing up the neighbourhood, they're 99% fantasy. Reloading is no more dangerous (& no safer) than shooting.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; May 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 20, 2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Does she have a sister?

(j/k; I'm a happily married man.)
Old May 20, 2014, 04:52 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

Start with the Lyman Pistol & Revolver #2 or 3, and study the sections on 'process'.
Old May 20, 2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Fullthrottle

Big or small (reloading room/area) does not matter in my book! Sure a dedicated room is ideal and awesome (look at some of the pics in the show us your reloading bench topic) but hey I have been in a pinch for room from time to time and I reload for 8 different calibers and I always make due!

My current reloading space is in my garage and about a 4ft section of my 8ft bench is dedicated to reloading.

Good luck and have fun but most important be safe!
Old May 20, 2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Clark

Reloading can become part of your expanding universe of hoarding.

In 1972, when I moved, I could fit everything I owned plus 2 friends in a 2 seater MGA.
In 1982, when I moved, I could fit everything I owned in 100 file folder boxes in a moving van.
In 2014 I can fit my reloading supplies in 100 file folder boxes that fill the 4 walls of the reloading room to the ceiling.

I helped another old guy move, upon retirement, closer to the happy hunting grounds. He only reloads 10% as many cartridges, but he had the same 2,000 pounds of stuff that filled 100 file folder boxes.

Some of us reloading hoarders appeared to be suffering from mental illness, but during the recent shortages we can ask, "Who is feeling ill now?"
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 22, 2014, 06:23 PM   #16
snapshot762

That's a good woman you have there!
Old May 23, 2014, 07:22 AM   #17
Marty8613

The wife

Quote:
That's a good woman you have there!
Tell me about it, she is more excited about reloading than I am. It will be a bonding experience, but who will be in charge?

She already is going for her CHL and we have her CCW list narrowed to two models.

SW Bodyguard .380 (no laser) - like any newbie, wants a safety and a hammer
DB380SL (Has to be the SL, for the cool look) - the striker option, simplest platform ever.
Just have to find the SL at a Gun Show or store to make sure racking it is easy enough and the trigger is heavy enough.

Also, she does have a single sister, but that woman is single for a reason. If you see her...... RUN!
Old May 23, 2014, 07:26 AM   #18
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty8613 View Post
She wants to help. And shoot.

Holy cow! Can you loan her out for a while? Maybe she can talk to my girlfriend.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:00 PM   #19
mikld

First, before you go any farther, get some texts on reloading. The most recommended book is The ABCs of Reloading. Also Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Manual (the "how to" section is excellent) is a good choice. Read these and you will get an idea of what reloading entails, and what equipment fits your reloading needs.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:30 AM   #20
Brotherbadger

Start with reading.........a lot. The ABC's of reloading is a must. Then, once you have read that, oh 3-8 times, pick up a few reloading manuals. Lyman's is a great beginners book(most have some sort of "how to" in the front. Read it. They are all pretty much the same, but one might phrase something in a way that is easier for you to understand), but don't stop there. Pick up several manuals to cross reference different recipes. A good route is to pick up any manual from the company whose bullets you use.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 24, 2014, 02:31 PM   #21
WESHOOT2

wife has a different idea

Quote:
boxes that fill the 4 walls of the reloading room to the ceiling
The only space I call my own is my shop (and inside my car).
Old May 24, 2014, 08:44 PM   #22
Fastercat

If you are R handed bolt the press on the right. The working surface may not be sturdy enough to support the rigors of a press, so I suggest you bolt a 2x6 or 2x8 to the work surface with enough overhang to bolt the press at the end of that.
Old May 24, 2014, 09:31 PM   #23
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastercat View Post
If you are R handed bolt the press on the right. The working surface may not be sturdy enough to support the rigors of a press, so I suggest you bolt a 2x6 or 2x8 to the work surface with enough overhang to bolt the press at the end of that.

I got rid of the press board top of my workbench by covering it with a 3/4" sheet of high end plywood. Then I added additional support under the overhang using a two by six. No flexing to speak of. FWIW, you might get by with a flimsier set up if you're just hand loading straight walled pistol cartridges, but if you get into larger rifle cartridges, with tapered walls, you will definitely need support!
Old May 25, 2014, 08:32 AM   #24
Marty8613

Actually, I am cross dominate. Off to the gun show today. We will look at stuff.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:14 PM   #25
BigJimP

and don't forget to have fun with the process !!