The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
flyboy14

resized 30-06 brass chambers hard

Brand new rem 700cdl 30-06 resized once fired brass from my rem 7600 pump, rcbs dies, rcbs shell holder, fl sized. Trimmed to length, deburred cleaned all lube from brass. Not primed, bolt closes extremely hard, have had brass in other calibers neck size where you can feel some pressure, but nothing like this. Not going to use this brass in this rifle, but can't figure out what is going on. This rifle is brand new, cleaned chamber, bore. Rifle has never been fired. Any ideas would help. Have brand new rem ammo, cycles and chambers fine.
Old February 24, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2
rrp

30-06 brass

Try turning your sizing die in a little more. It sounds like the brass isn't getting sized all the way. I've had this happen before where the die had to be turned in a little more than the directions to get the case sized. Good luck
Old February 24, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3
freakshow10mm

How's your OAL?
Old February 24, 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Gbro

Are you going into a full toggle with the press?
My RCBS instructions say to thread die down to the case holder and then a little more until the press toggles distinctly w/o a case.
I don't do that as i neck size by using a dime between the die and case holder.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:20 PM   #5
mniesen89

I know this is a stupid and probably obvious question,but are you sure your 700 is chambered in 30-06?
Old February 24, 2008, 11:25 PM   #6
steve4102

Nine times out of ten the reason for this is improper set-up of the FL sizing die. Here is a quote from RCBS as proper FL die set up.

Step 5: Install the Sizer Die

Thread the sizer die into the press until the die touches the shell holder when the ram is at the top of the press stroke. Raise the press handle and turn the die down another one-eigth to one-quarter of a turn and set the large lock ring.

If you have not set up your FL die like this then you may not be bumping the shoulder back far enough. In fact you could actually be pushing the shoulder forward.

The other reason for this is that the expander ball is pulling the shoulder forward as you drag it through the neck. Make sure that the inside of the necks are clean and have a slight amount of lube. This will prevent the expander from stretching your brass.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:37 PM   #7
flyboy14

die is threaded in far enough, press cams over, but I will try lubing the neck of casings. Yes rifle is chambered for 30-06. thanx for the input
Old February 24, 2008, 11:44 PM   #8
flyboy14

oal 2.484
Old February 24, 2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Prince55

I like Imperial Dry Neck Lube. It's about like graphite and will keep the
case necks from being stretched. Just takes a very small amt.
Old February 25, 2008, 12:17 AM   #10
Gbro

The squeak of the expander ball is right up there with fingernails on the chalk board.
TBS, I always lube inside the case neck. Back when, i used that sticky RCBS goop.
I guess i wasn't careful enough about cleaning the excess lube from the inside.
Well i had a KaBoom. had to pound the bolt open, brass came out de-primed and completely separated at the web. I was just shaken up, M-77R stayed together.
I initially thought i had overloaded the cartridge, and when i attempted to examine the rest of my loads, I couldn't pull the bullet. I tried vice grips above the press and pulled the lead apart or ripped the case out of the holder.
I then put the seating die in and found that i had to almost bend the press handle to crack the bullet loose. Over the 1 year post reloading this batch, The lube i failed to remove became a glue!
We learn by our, and others mistakes/experiences.
Old February 25, 2008, 01:33 AM   #11
TexasSeaRay

The two best, consistent lubes I've used for rifle cartridge reloading have been one, the Lee lube, and two, a mixture of silica and graphite.

I like the Lee because I've never had a round contaminated, nor have I one get glued in like the preceeding poster experienced. I have had bullets glued in using (too much) of other brand lubes. Our unit armorer showed me what happens when a round gets glued in with some old M1 carbines that were destined for the scrap heap.

It ain't pretty and it's damned scary.

Loading rifle rounds is a very long, patient, drawn out process for me.

Some friends, who are also reloaders, lose patience with me when they're over at the house when I'm working up some rifle loads. They're more "come on, man, lube it, size it, fill it, seat it and put it in the box so we can go shoot it."

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 25, 2008, 01:57 AM   #12
Tim R

I use RCBS case lube 2 on a lube pad. The nice thing about this lube is it wipes off with a damp rag.

As for sizing the brass, I agree with the others check to make sure you have cam over. The chamber on your pump rifle might be generous.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Sevens

Short tip just in case-- make sure you are doing your case trimming after you do your sizing, and not before.

Good story to share on the glue/lube. Scary, no doubt.
Old February 25, 2008, 05:54 PM   #14
steve4102

One way to check for expander stretching is to remove it. Remove the expander button, re-size a case, remove any excess lube and see if it chambers. If not then you know your problem is not with the expander.
Old February 25, 2008, 07:53 PM   #15
flyboy14

Thanks for all the info guys. Will have to wait until this weekend to fire the gun, with new ammo. Tried to chamber brass in my pump, and it chambered fine. Think I will try firing some new ammo out of both guns, and do a little measuring on the brass from both to try and compare it. Either way I appreciate all of the ideas.
Old February 25, 2008, 09:33 PM   #16
langenc

Lube the case neck INSIDE cause if you dont the expander will stretch the case neck on the way OUT. Wont allow bolt to close without a fight. Get a Wilson case gage and check each case for size prior to charging.
Old February 26, 2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Gbro

Post deleted

Last edited by Gbro; February 27, 2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Wrong thread, sorry