The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 5, 2001, 05:25 PM   #1
Kevinch

S&W Search Problem

Hi fellas - got to say up front this is one great site!

I'm interested with information on a S&W Model 57. I've found a used one, & wanted to pull in any info that might be located at TFL.

The problem: no matter how I type in "57" into the search field it won't work, because it reads only 2 characters. I've tried putting the entire phrase in quotes, using the AND qualifier, etc. but I haven't been clever enough to come up with a solution.

At lot of guns use 2 digit numbers for model identification. Is there anyway to search for them?

Thanks,

Kevin
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old December 5, 2001, 09:27 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The Search index was defaulted to 4 characters. I lowered it to three. The result is a file that is >400MB in size. The entire Posting File is only .5GB. As it stands, it takes 24 hours of continuous connection to reindex the Search, if the Board is kept open. (I know...it seems real slow to me also....but this is due to the indexes that are created which result in such speedy searches).

My guess is that dropping the search to two characters will increase the size significantly, but I could be wrong. Next time we have occasion to reindex, I'll give it atry. Unfortunately, your timing is bad....Search was down all last week for repeated attempts at indexing. I'd be lynched.
Rich
Old December 6, 2001, 08:56 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Meanwhile Kevinch, you might start a thread on the Model 57 on the Revolver forum and see what hatches. Some of us have info on various models archived. 57 I don't but maby others do.

Sam
Old December 6, 2001, 12:23 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Kevin,

Try searching around 57 by using .41 Mag

You'll get a lot of other hits, but you should flush out a lot of the stuff that you want.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.