The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 19, 2016, 01:57 AM   #1
kcub

What are some good machinegun targets?

I have liked discarded propane cylinders when I can find them but I can't find them anymore.

Ideas?
Old March 19, 2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Machineguntony

I used to use knock down targets, like plastic bottles and pins, etc, but I got tired of walking to reset them. It was good exercise, though.

So I use 12 inch section of wood 2x4 that I hang from a short length of chain and then attach to a tall shepherd's hook. Instant reaction, and no need to reset. Set up several in a line and you can practice full auto spray and pray.
Old March 19, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
CaptainO

deleted

Last edited by CaptainO; March 19, 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 19, 2016, 03:40 PM   #4
gyvel

Refrigerators, hot water heaters, stoves, old abandoned cars (when you find them), silhouette targets. All lots of fun.
SIFE
Old March 19, 2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Ricklin

Most fun ever..

An old piano with a cracked frame is the best target I have ever enjoyed. Does make a mess! Would be more fun yet with full auto.
Old March 19, 2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Theohazard

CaptainO, this is a public forum. I think it's safe to say that antis probably lurk here to see what the "other side" is talking about. Do you really think it's a good idea to make a joke about shooting politicians you don't like? Not only was your comment in poor taste, but it makes us all look bad.
Old March 19, 2016, 04:45 PM   #7
CaptainO

I forgot

Only the Left and Communists are permitted free speech.

Last edited by CaptainO; March 19, 2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old March 19, 2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Theohazard

Seriously? You decided to double down on your ridiculous comment by making another one? I know you probably think you're being funny, but to me you just look childish.
Old March 19, 2016, 05:06 PM   #9
CaptainO

No more comments. (The Government looks depressing in their clown costumes).
Old March 19, 2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Machineguntony

Thank you for removing your initial comment, CaptainO. I hold the NFA community close to my heart.

Back to the original topic...

Shooting fridges, old TVs, and abandoned cars is awesome, but the clean up is a pain.

I really like the switching left/right metal steel targets, but I'm paranoid and don't trust them with auto fire. Last thing I need is a bullet flying straight back at me.
Old March 19, 2016, 07:35 PM   #11
CaptainO

It is too bad most of the political community has nothing but greed in it's heart! In general, I have little but contempt for the Federal Government.

It has proven its' propensity for greed and selfishness for more than 50 years.
Old March 19, 2016, 08:22 PM   #12
Theohazard

In the military, our machine gun targets were usually old armored vehicles that were put in the impact area of the ranges at Camp Lejeune. At first it was cool to shoot them because you could see the tracers bouncing off the armor at various angles, but after a while it got boring because nothing was being destroyed. There were a few times we cut down small trees at close range with bipod-mounted M240s, though [EDIT: I meant to write "tripod"]. That was fun. Also we occasionally found random junk to shoot. But usually it was just boring old armored vehicles.

Shooting junk is fun, but you're right that it's a pain to clean up that stuff. I just had a thought though: You could make ice blocks using 5-gallon buckets as molds, then when you shot the ice it would be pretty satisfying but there would be no cleanup. The only problem is you'd need a pretty big freezer. I guess it would help to know somebody in the restaurant business.

Last edited by Theohazard; March 19, 2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 19, 2016, 08:31 PM   #13
CaptainO

I am a Vietnam era Navy veteran, but spent my tour stateside as an Aviation Machinist's Mate (jet) repairing J52-P-408 Pratt & Whitney engines installed in the EA6B "Prowler" and the A6 "Intruder" turbojet engines.

Too bad I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the automatic arsenal in the military.

Yes, you had to have been there.
Old March 20, 2016, 04:38 AM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
Too bad I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the automatic arsenal in the military.
So? There were many of us who had no chance for FA fire in the service. When yearly qualifying, the range officer would give us a swift kick in the ribs if we fired FA by accident.

I was stationed in Thailand working on EC121R aircraft and we weren't even allowed a sidearm unless we were flying or the base was under imminent attack.

It didn't stop me from purchasing NFA weapons as a civilian after I was discharged, however.

NFA is lots of fun, albeit costly. And I have to agree with MGT about the cleanup. Still worth it, though. (Although, when I lived in south Florida, you just pushed the junk into the drainage canals where it would quietly rust to oblivion.)
SIFE
Old March 20, 2016, 10:33 AM   #15
kcub

I was really hoping for ideas that don't require a flatbed trailer. All I have is a car. Guess I'll keep looking for propane tanks. Any idea where to find them?
Old March 20, 2016, 12:06 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

I believe most propane tanks are being recycled these days. Really not fun empty anyway. Regardless of what you're shooting 'em with. Mind you, full propane tanks aren't a lot of, um, excitement either. Propane is kind of boring stuff. Heavier than air, it just flows out over the ground in a nice white cloud. Needs an APTI to liven it up.
See if you can find some Tannerite. Assuming it'd be legal where you are.
http://www.tannerite.com/index.php
"...many of us who had no chance for FA fire..." Most troopies get nowhere near MG's at all.
Old March 20, 2016, 04:39 PM   #17
Tucker 1371

My unit trains at Ft Knox regularly and they have an 800 yd range with green "Ivan" poppers. Got to engage those all the way out to 800 with the M249 SAW and that was pretty fun.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 21, 2016, 08:13 AM   #18
9x19

Build a wood-frame mold and make your own mud bricks. No clean-up hassles and offer a satisfying disintegration when solidly hit.

You can also use a cheap plastic tray as a mold, just make some very small holes in the bottom to aid drying.
Old March 21, 2016, 06:06 PM   #19
kcub

I found a source of propane tanks. They are recycled but there comes a time when they need to be retired in style. I will try out my AUG with a new to me heavy barrel Wednesday.
Old March 23, 2016, 04:41 PM   #20
pete2

Never actually qualified full auto, fired some in training, a lot in Vietnam, not target practice tho. Just guide the tracers onto the target. B Troop 1/1 Cav, 67/68.
Old March 25, 2016, 01:08 PM   #21
kcub