The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 16, 2017, 06:34 PM   #1
SonOfScubaDiver

Dominant hand/eye

This weekend, I showed my son Hickok's video on the Coonan 357, and he noticed that Hickok shoots with his right hand but looks through his left eye. I had already noticed it, but we started talking about how some people are like that. I shoot with my right hand and my right eye is dominant, but I know it's different for some folks. So, how does it work out for you? Is your dominant shooting hand on the same side as your dominant eye? If not, has it caused you any problems? I don't see how one could shoot a rifle with opposite dominants. If you do it, can you explain how? I just thought this would make an interesting topic to discuss.
Old October 16, 2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Brassguy

I am left eye dominate but right handed. My dad started me off shooting rifle and shotgun left handed. I shoot pistol right handed. Never had a issue.
Old October 16, 2017, 08:43 PM   #3
cw308

Im left eye dominant but right handed, I shoot hand guns right handed ,I find my hand is locked but slightly angled to the right . I'm a bench rest shooter , shooting a Rem. 700 308 right handed bolt ,shooting from the left side , not a big deal . Problem is not as many lefty benches at the range I shoot at , have to get there early.
Old October 16, 2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Damon555

I'm left handed but right eye dominant. It's really not an issue when shooting handguns.....I am actually starting to use my left eye more and more because as I've aged the vision in my right eye isn't up to snuff any more......but having lived in a right handed world my whole life I shoot rifles and shotguns right handed.....always have.
Old October 17, 2017, 12:07 PM   #5
otasan

Right right here in VT.
Old October 17, 2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Pahoo

They find a way !!!

Quote:
I don't see how one could shoot a rifle with opposite dominants. If you do it, can you explain how?
During our range-time at the M/L station, I observe the students and wait for the first cross-eye dominant shooter. It doesn't take long to spot one and comment to him/her of this condition. Most are not aware until I point it out and they actually shoot fairly well and seem to manage this quite well. ..

I often ask if their optometrist had ever noted this to them and so far, none have said yes. I also assure them that there is nothing wrong or worry about. .. .

In one class, I noted this to a young female and she said that she was made aware of this, in the Army and showed her how to correct. Sad to say that I did not follow-up on the method they used. I'm telling you, that lady could really shoot well....

I have seen a number of ways to overcome this "minor" problem. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2017, 02:49 PM   #7
SonOfScubaDiver

I'm just thinking that, with my big head, trying to use my left eye with a scope while firing a rifle with my right hand would be very difficult. I have a hard enough time using my right eye with the big fat head God blessed me with!
Old October 17, 2017, 04:27 PM   #8
JJ45

I'm right handed but left eyed. I have always shot with both eyes open and don't let it bother me one bit.

However, I usually have to drift rear sights to the right for new pistols so they shoot to my point of aim. This is not for every pistol but certainly the majority.

Again, I don't pay it any mental recognition. Compared to my shooting buddies with normal hand/eye dominance, I shoot as good or better and this includes IDPA.
Old October 17, 2017, 04:59 PM   #9
lefteye

I'm right-handed and left eye dominant. So was my Dad. He figured out my problem before I was 10 years old and had me shoot my single-shot bolt action .22 left-handed. It was like magic. I went from shooting like monkey to shooting kinda , sorta like an "expert". I shoot all long guns and compound bows left-handed. I can't do anything else left-handed.
Old October 17, 2017, 05:11 PM   #10
glockman55

I'm left eye dominate and right handed. I shoot my pistols both right and left handed, but my long guns and Bow I shoot right handed,, It's hard to shoot with both eyes open for me being opposite ... I usually close the left a little...lol
Old October 17, 2017, 06:10 PM   #11
RickB

I'm a lefty, and all tests indicate that I'm also left-eye dominant, but it's more nearly equal, in practice, with two distinct front sights, two rears, two targets if both eyes are open. After trying to "train" my eye for a couple of years with tape on the weak-eye lens, I now just close-down the weak eye (squint) to the extent necessary for a given shot.
Up close, both eyes are open and I'm looking at the target, beyond ten yards it's a hard squint with only the dominant eye contributing.
Old October 17, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Bob Wright

For many years I shot a shoulder arm left handed and a handgun right handed, my left eye being dominant. This caused me no trouble and I was a pretty fair shot. One man commented "No wonder you can't shoot any better! You're using the wrong eye!"

I told him I could out shoot anyone there, and that settled that.

But I had cataract surgery several years ago and now shoot handguns with my right eye, and still shoot shoulder arms with the left eye. I'm much better with the handgun than I am with the rifle, so I have no problem. I just don't shoot rifles so much anyway, where I live you seldom can see game much farther than a couple hundred yards, anyway.

Bob Wright
Old October 17, 2017, 08:03 PM   #13
MagnumWill

Left handed and right-eye dominant, the wife is vice versa.
Old October 17, 2017, 08:23 PM   #14
bamaranger

cross dominant

I am right hand/righe eye, but bamaboy is right hand/left eye, and so was his grandad (my dad).

Dad never had his condition diagnosed 'till I picked up on it after getting some experience and training as a young adult. Dad missed a lot of game, especially flushing game, or running/moving deer. He shot both long guns and handguns off his right side, right eye running the show.

When bamaboy was very young, I picked up on his circumstances. He'd put a telescope, or other item with an eyepiece or small hole to peer through, up to his left eye. I started him off his left shoulder with long guns, and running a rifle off his left side is all he really knows (other than off side practice). He fires and handles handguns with his right hand, and runs right hand holsters. He cants his head to the right, cants the pistol to the left, and shoots both eyes open. In appearance, it looks very conventional and upright.

A grown young man now at 22, he's a better off hand, improvised position shot, than I am.
Old October 17, 2017, 08:40 PM   #15
BOOGIE the oily

Now that this subject is being touched, maybe you guys can give me a hint or two on how to overcome what I think may become a problem, when I start shooting.

I'm right handed, and have known for years I'm left eye dominant. But now that I've started dry firing my gun (and making a conscious effort to keep both eyes open), I find myself naturally taking the sights to my right eye, and aiming with it. But sometimes, when I do that (especially when I try to pick up some speed), I end up looking straight at the target with my left eye, and completely ignoring the gun sights.

So... what should I do?
Bamaranger's son's system sounds good. Is there any other alternative?

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old October 17, 2017, 08:49 PM   #16
Doyle

Quote:
I don't see how one could shoot a rifle with opposite dominants. If you do it, can you explain how
I'm also cross-eye dominant. I shoot handguns using my left eye. For rifles and shotguns, I have to force my left eye to squint so that my right eye takes over. That actually takes considerable practice for me because my left eyelid doesn't close nearly as easily by itself as my right eyelid. When I try to close my left eyelid by itself, the right one tries to close too.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:16 AM   #17
SonOfScubaDiver

Seems like this is more common than I thought. I think it's kind neat that some of you have taught yourselves how to shoot rifles with one hand and handguns with the other. I've practiced shooting a handgun with my left hand a few times, but I pretty much am an embarrassment to all things bang with it.
Old October 18, 2017, 12:26 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
think it's kind neat that some of you have taught yourselves how to shoot rifles with one hand and handguns with the other. I've practiced shooting a handgun with my left hand a few times
I don't think it is that people are using their left hand for handguns (I know I certainly don't). It is that they are using their left eye. For a handgun, that just means a very slight adjustment to the angle of your extended arms.
Old October 18, 2017, 02:43 PM   #19
JJ45

Doyle said it all.

A handgun , when aimed shots are fired, is held out directly in front of the shooters face, whether Weaver or Icoceles. The dominant eye, in my case at least, takes over the alignment.

For me, it is the same with iron sights on a rifle. Whether notch or blade rear sight and bead or post front, my dominant eye takes over, generally focusing on the front sight. This causes a slight tilt in the cheek/head position but it works and I still keep both eyes open. The same with handguns, I usually have to move the rear sight left of center to center the sights for my vision.

With a peep sight on a rifle, since I shoot right handed my less dominant right eye is used for sighting through the aperture on to the front sight, but again both eyes remain open.

With a scope, since I am right handed, I just focus the scope for my right eye, even though it is the weaker. The optics cure the effect.

A lot has been written about shooting and cross dominance but I was blissfully ignorant of the fact for many years and just went along shooting just as good as any other amateur
Old October 19, 2017, 08:02 AM   #20
arquebus357

My dad was totally ambidextrous. He claimed that his eyesight was also ambi (?). He could shoulder his old Browning 12 Ga. auto either right or left depending on the shot. Iowa farm boy expert Pheasant hunter.

He boxed in Golden Gloves and would confuse his opponent by switching right lead to left and back. He had custom golf clubs. Woods were left handed, irons were right handed. Very amusing. Unfortunately, I did not inherit this ability.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:09 AM   #21
Excoastie

right handed, left eyeyd.

I'm not real good with a rifle, and actually prefer to shoot a pistol. I just close my eye and concentrate really hard on a rifle. Most of the time I actually hit the target. I don't find it as much fun, as it requires too much thinking, etc.

When shooting a pistol I just turn my head a little to the right to adjust for my left eye. With a lot of practice, I've picked up muscle memory, so I no longer have to think about it.

Exco
Old October 22, 2017, 07:32 AM   #22
turkeestalker

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.
As has been said it is a non-issue with a handgun with very minor adjustment.
With long guns I squint my left eye almost closed, and again it is a non-issue.
I'm not saying that this is the right way to deal with it, but has always worked just fine for me and I've never had my shooting ability questioned.
I'm no professional trick shot, but I'm used to hitting what I aim at and I expect to.

My oldest son is the same as I am but has the same issue that Doyle mentions regarding not being able to squint his left eye independent of his right, even just a little.
He sometimes struggles a little with long guns, but really seems to cope with things just fine.
I tried early on to get him to shoot left handed but he wasn't having any of that.
Refused to wear eye patches, blocked out left lens shooting glasses, etc.
Having the same cross dominance myself, I can understand why.

I went so far as to purchase an unusual 'lefty' Winchester semi-auto shotgun some time back for both of us to experiment with while shooting clays.
Not that it was necessary to do so, but it was a low production number lefty at a very good price.... so why not?
Both of us could use it reasonably well, but neither of us could get comfortable with it or cared to do so.
It shoots just fine right handed too, just like the reverse goes.

For most people, I don't really think that cross eye dominance winds up being that big of an issue though I know that it can for some.
Those of us who are just tend to cope with it (and most do so pretty well) in our own little ways without a lot of fanfare, sometimes without even realizing there's any issue.