The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1
MDS

Can you help with bullet questions

.45 bullet dia. I see some that are .451 some that are .452 Is there a reason for this? Also, if I find load data for 200grain LSWC Can I use this data for 200 grain LRN?
Old January 3, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
rwilson452

Generally speaking .451 are jacketed bullets and .452 are lead. I have used .451 lead bullets in my Colt with no problems.

Following the rule of starting at the start value and working up you can use the 200 gr. LSWC data for the LRN bullets.
Due to the fact there may be a difference in hardness and bearing surface you might find a difference in the top end of the load.

Again start at the start value and work up.

Quote:
.45 bullet dia. I see some that are .451 some that are .452 Is there a reason for this? Also, if I find load data for 200grain LSWC Can I use this data for 200 grain LRN?
Old January 3, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
MDS

I thank you very much.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
dardascastbullets

Hi MDS!

I might add that the 'general' rule of thumb for cast bullets is 0.001" over you bore diameter. You can mic your bore diameter by pushing a round ball through the bore and mic'ing it.
Old January 3, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Sevens

You can typically use the same data for different style bullets, unless the bullets are drastically different in shape. Two of the most obvious examples include full wadcutter bullets and hollow point bullets.

Wadcutter bullets are designed to be loaded flush or close to flush in the case, leaving very little internal space for the powder. Therefore, data for wadcutter rounds are usually VERY light on the powder. If you use a load that light for a RN or SWC bullet, you could squib the load or stick a barrel in the bullet as you just won't get the pressure you need for the round.

Hollow point bullets look just like RN or JSP's, but the difference with these is often the length or the depth to which they are seated. If there is a hollow cavity in the bullet, weight is added by lengthening the bullet.

Yup, you can swap data for RN and SWC with little or no trouble.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
MDS

I appreciate evryone keeping me from blowing myself up. I have one more question. Using load data from whatever sorce. Would a bullet like Berrys plated, be the same as a FMJ?
Old January 4, 2009, 12:40 AM   #7
Sevens

Plated bullets tend to occupy a space between lead and jacketed bullets. That thin plating is actually micro-thin, it's electroplated, not a copper jacket. Push them to jacketed bullet or magnum velocities and they will erupt.

Rather than looking at them as a cheap way to buy jacketed bullets, it's more accurate to look at them as an expensive and somewhat cleaner & prettier versions of cast lead bullets.

While on the subject of plated bullets, be extra careful when crimping them, especially roll crimping in revolver rounds. That plating is indeed thin, and an over zealous crimp will wreck 'em.

Many folks have had success with them. I'm not a huge fan... I do like my cast lead bullets, though!
Old January 4, 2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I appreciate evryone keeping me from blowing myself up. I have one more question. Using load data from whatever sorce. Would a bullet like Berrys plated, be the same as a FMJ?
No. It's best to use lead based data for plated bullets for a starting load. As Sevens said, you don't want to approach higher velocities with plated.

With plated bullets, the theory is that they have similar characteristics of lead bullets when firing them. There's no need to steer clear of plated bullets because of this. Just be conservative on your experiments on loading.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting