The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1
DaveInPA

200 yard .223 load development?

So my 100 yard load from my AR with a 1:9" twist is:

55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
23.5gr Hodgon Benchmark
RP case trimmed to 1.750"
CCI 400 Primer
2.255" OAL

Now, this load shoots TINY groups at 100 yards. It's awesome.

At 200 yards, however, groups open up to 2-3" and off to the left or right of center depending on the wind.

Would a load with a heavier bullet maybe work better at 200yd? Maybe a 69gr Sierra Matchking? I'm also going to use Lapua brass for my 200 yard loads. Might as well

What loads are you guys using in .223 from 200 yards with good results?

Thanks
Dave
Old January 3, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
flashhole

My 223 is a bolt gun, not an AR, but I get excellent results with the Sierra 63 grain semi-point bullet. Several powders work well but Varget and H4895 are the top performers.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 3, 2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

DaveInPA,

Does your AR have a 20" tube, or are you running a shortie?

I've read a few threads recently where 9" twist was having trouble with the 75 and 77 and 80 grain bullets. They are a little long for a 9" twist. The 69 grain SMK is for 10" twist or faster, so it should run fine for you, as will anything shorter. I recently saw one 9" twist owner having trouble with the 69 in a Remington with a top vented muzzle brake. The asymmetrical muzzle blast exposure was apparently initiating excessive tipping. If you have a standard symmetrically vented flash hider (or none), you should be OK.

If you have a 20" tube, try 21.8 grains of Benchmark or 23.4 grains of Varget (compressed) or 23.5 of 748 with the 69 grain SMK with your same COL. The Berger 64 grain flat base match bullet with 22 grains of Benchmark should work well if you have any stability problem with the 69? Those are all loads as mild as you are shooting now.

Caution: The data below exceeds published maximums and is only suitable in some guns. Neither the poster nor The Firing Line nor any of its members take any responsibility for its safety in your gun.

The hot versions would be working up carefully to 25.2 grains of 748 with the 69 grain SMK, and working up carefully to 25.5 grains of 748 with the 64 grain Berger.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 3, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:22 PM   #4
two 70

Dave in PA
I've been using Varget in my mini 14 Target with a 22 inch 1:9 bull barrel and have had excellent results with 55 gr VMax's over 26 grains. Am working on 68gr Hornady and 69 SMK's with 25.5 grain loads but my downrange target frame is snowed in so can only report impressive 100yd groups at this time. Chrono just got delivered this week but til spring will just have to wait to see what is actually going on. These loads are pushing max I would think but my mini seems to like high pressure rounds better. Fired a few 69gr SMK's with 26 grain charge and was getting noticeable primer flattening and a significant spread in groups @ 100yds as compared to 25.5 grains. Loaded a few of the Hornady 68's at full OAL of 2.26 (magazine fit)and a like amount seated and crimped to the cannalure but have no report available at this time due to this damn second year in a row 100 year winter. Broke this rifle in with American Eagle and Hornady TAP loads from 50 to 75 grain and it seemed to shoot all very well. I was especially impressed with the 75gr TAP groups @300 yards and am hoping for equal or better performance from the 69's. Bullets I've had no success with were 55 and 60 grain soft point hunting loads. Significant change in POI and less than acceptible 100yd groups as compared to the pointed projectiles.

Gun Control is not having to say I missed you.