The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 21, 2019, 11:36 AM   #1
TxFlyFish

FULL size concealment holsters for HOT weather

For hot weather, shirt and shorts, full size handgun, IWB or OWB, needs to be concealed. What has everyone tried that works?

So far the best I’ve found after trying numerous holsters:

IWB: Blackhawk nylon holster with plastic clip (yes, the cheap $15 one). More comfortable than kydex/leather, excellent sweat shielding, thin profile and hugs close to body at 4oclock position, won’t scratch finish, easy to put on belt

OWB: Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0. No idea how this conceals so well but can easily hide a full size 1911 at 3oclock. Everyone has their way of canting and pressing the grip to your body, Garrett way of doing it makes no sense to me but it’s somehow the closest to body/least printing owb holster I have tried. Leather lining less likely to scratch finish.
Old July 21, 2019, 11:46 AM   #2
HighValleyRanch

take a look at the advance performance asob (almost small of back) kydex holster.
It places the grips angle so it is well hidden and holds the gun close to the body.
https://advancedperformanceshooting....-back-holster/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 9.43.16 AM.jpg (18.3 KB, 418 views)
Old July 21, 2019, 11:49 AM   #3
TxFlyFish

That looks very promising! Ok time to try that next!
Old July 21, 2019, 12:04 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I've seen too many nylon holsters get worn and start to fold in on themselves for me to trust them for reholstering, and for me I want the holster to support that.

While the other holster here is angled, I'm always leery of small of back carry. To me it's not fast and I've talked to enough people with back injuries to think that falling on my back is a possibility and something compressing against my spine concerns me.

I've had good luck with just about anything from JM Custom Kydex.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 21, 2019, 12:32 PM   #5
AK103K

Blade Tech Ambi Klipt or Suarez "Gunfighter" both work well for me. I can easily hide my Glock 17 under a normal size tee shirt in the summer. I carry this way year round too.

This holster is the Suarez....

Old July 21, 2019, 12:36 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
To me it's not fast and I've talked to enough people with back injuries to think that falling on my back is a possibility and something compressing against my spine concerns me.
That holster is nowhere close to the spine. it's about the 4 o'clock position.
Old July 21, 2019, 12:40 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
That holster is nowhere close to the spine. it's about the 4 o'clock position.
The muzzle is at the 4 o'clock?

Old July 21, 2019, 01:02 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

muzzle is to the right of the spine if that is your main concern and the kydex forms flat paddle distributing the impact to the kidney area, not the spine.
Old July 21, 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Was just an opinion for holsters generally of that style. If it's not an issue with that holster rock on (frankly rock on either way, it's your gear).

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 21, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old July 21, 2019, 01:15 PM   #10
TxFlyFish

Ak103 you have amazing abs it’s one thing to pull aiwb it’s another thing concealing that knife handle!!
Old July 21, 2019, 02:18 PM   #11
AK103K

LOL, They havent been amazing for quite some time.

The knife is easy to move around and conceal. It just happened to be forward in that pic. Its usually laying back the other way. Either way, its easy to get to with either hand.

I used to always carry IWB, and it works great too. Once I tried AIWB, it was instantly obvious, I should have done it decades ago. Its more comfortable, concealable, and faster to get at. Whats not to like?

Ive also carried with a "bit" more weight. And either way, your body adapts to the gun or whatever, and as long as youre using good gear and wearing clothes sized to what your body is in the moment, it really doesnt make any difference.
Old July 21, 2019, 10:14 PM   #12
Siggy-06

South FL resident here, the biggest pistol I carry comfortably is my Glock 23(G22’s grip is a tad to long for me to conceal easily). I use a Don Hume JIT belt slide holster at 3 o’clock. Keeps it high and tight, without making me sweaty since it’s owb. Most days though, my LCP rides in a Desantis Nemesis in my pocket.
Old July 21, 2019, 10:20 PM   #13
Wyosmith

I have some jeans with deep pockets and I carried my full size 1911 to church today by just putting it in my right front pocket.
No problem at all.
Old July 22, 2019, 07:28 PM   #14
JJ45

Sparks Summer Special for LW Commander .45 usually at 3 o'clock or a little more inside.

Alessi Talon Plus for an XD(M) 3.8, 9mm, same locale...

I have to have a strip of leather between the gun and my bare skin...Don't really prefer IWB but they conceal these pistols very well and are comfortable enough....if I wear certain T-shirts that cause the rear of the slide to jut out some I will move it more towards 4.
Old July 22, 2019, 07:39 PM   #15
flashhole

What do you mean by full size? How long a barrel? I consider my Beretta 96 full size and it has a 4.9" barrel. Only holster I have is a Gould OWB Yaqui style. Have to mindful of the belt I use to keep the gun close to the body. The holster works best with a stiff platform. I plan to get a Barsony IWB Tuckable holster too. I have a Barsony Tuckable for a revolver that is extremely comfortable and it all but disappears when in use.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 22, 2019, 08:03 PM   #16
AK103K

This is my 17 "tucked" in a Blade Tech Ambi Klipt. If you look close to the right of the buckle, you can see the belt clip.

Im not really a fan of doing that, and just took the pic awhile back to show someone it could be done. Still, its a full size Glock under my shirt, and done with little effort.
Old July 23, 2019, 06:21 PM   #17
Fullclip610

I’ve noticed a lot of the holsters ride way too high. I modified an NSr tactical belt loop holster to a clip and it sits very very low in the waistband. These huge kydex holsters with multiple clips are insane. They are huge and uncomfortable. I just bought a desantis leather clip holster for a G19 and it seems like it’s very concealable. Was less than $30 on eBay. Honestly the nylon cheapo holsters with the strong metal clip conceal the best for whatever reason. I wouldn’t really trust them with a non safety version of a gun with a round in the chamber though. Kind of flimsy after a while.
Old July 23, 2019, 07:29 PM   #18
TxFlyFish

Yea agreed the nylon is not for every gun. DA/SA with thumb on hammer holstering should reduce the risk of holster folding and edges rolled into the trigger guard. But they are cheap, comfortable and surprisingly concealable
Old July 26, 2019, 05:51 PM   #19
R_P_K_

Stealthgear, hands down