The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2019, 02:47 PM   #26
JN01

Did you have someone else shoot them and did they have the same problem?
Old March 15, 2019, 05:27 PM   #27
wnycollector

Another vote for the Beretta 950. My wife's 950BS is super reliable and very accurate.
Old March 15, 2019, 11:57 PM   #28
wbbh

Try some Fiocchi .25 ACP ammunition. I collect older mouse guns and actually shoot them. Some US ammunition is less energetic and a lot of .25 are older designs for more powerful ammunition.

I have caused some .25 ACPs to jam by using too heavy an oil or grease on some parts.

Baby Browning are sensitive to bad magazines.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:11 AM   #29
ozarkhillbilly

I have both a colt and a Beretta 950 in 25acp and both shoot great. That said my buddy can't shoot either one more then one or two rounds before jamming them.
Old March 16, 2019, 08:44 AM   #30
Auto5

I had a PSP (pre PSA) Baby clone that was flawless, but I traded it off when I started carrying an LCP. After awhile, I missed the little gun, so I picked up a Bauer .25. The previous owner sold it below market, admitting that it jammed constantly. I took it apart, cleaned it and bought a new magazine. Works fine now.
Old March 16, 2019, 09:03 AM   #31
zeke

Small low powered blow back pistols in large hands are prone to malfunctions. Hard to grip a small pistol with large hands, and low powered rounds need the tight grip for the blow back action to work.

Still have a 380 ppk that was stone cold reliable with everything i fed it. Let a large handed person try it at range, and it would not function. He gave it back, and it worked perfectly for me with the same rounds.
Old March 16, 2019, 09:32 AM   #32
TxFlyFish

I had some trouble with fiocchi 25. The oal was too long and won’t fit in a beretta bantam magazine
Old March 16, 2019, 09:50 AM   #33
hammie

About the original dilemma, even though it was different guns, I still think the problem was likely to be the magazines or a worn magazine latch. The original poster didn't say if the magazine swaps were with other used magazines or with factory new ones. I would get some brand new magazines and try them. However, I don't know who makes new magazines for the brownings or colts other than triple k, and my experience with triple K's has been about the same as with pro-mags: not too good.

As for reliability, my beretta 21A, has never failed to feed, fire, and eject right out of the box. (It does fail to extract, but that's because there's no extractor.) I've always had to hold it tightly because the recoil is surprisingly snappy. My hand stings after two or three magazines worth.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:25 PM   #34
tipoc

Large hands and tiny guns don't always mix well.

The thumb can, unbeknownst to the shooter, ride the slide and inhibit it's movement and ability to function. The flesh around the index finger can slow the slide. Etc.

The release of the magazine can also be impeded by large hands.

Someone else said, it's not always the gun. Often it's the shooter.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old March 16, 2019, 01:10 PM   #35
SIGSHR

My Ortgies 25 is so finely fitted a spare slide will not fit.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:19 PM   #36
TruthTellers

It's funny this topic gets made and yesterday the magazine for my Raven get locked up. Pretty sure I had my first rimlock issue.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:31 PM   #37
RC20

Thereewas a hot ammo at one point that solved that.

Try CLP on the slide. I had to semi auto pistol that allowed it to work right and a shotgun that should have but would not cycle no magnum shells.
Old March 17, 2019, 02:26 PM   #38
Carmady

Will a 25 go through a car door?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39_jUfcEd7A
Old March 17, 2019, 03:29 PM   #39
Bill DeShivs

Interesting experiment, but not sure why you would want to shoot through a car door.
Old March 17, 2019, 09:46 PM   #40
ThomasT

Well you never know when you will be attacked by junk yard car doors. But I would just shoot through the window. But I'm weird.

I have a Beretta 950 BS and it has never failed in any way. There is an internet report about a 25 used in a shooting and the attacker was shot through the eye and the round went through the skull and into or through a door behind IIRC.

A man we used to buy gas from on credit way back in the early 1970's had a robber come in his store and reach over the counter and grab the cash box. The owner saw him through a one way glass and came out with a 25 auto and ordered him on the floor.

The robber set the box down but came up with a knife and charged the owner. The owner emptied the .25 into the robber who made it across the small room and died at his feet. After he was No Billed the owner bought a 357 mag.

The shooting ruined his gas station. A year later he opened a used car lot a couple of miles down the road. He used the 357 twice more on robbers and then retired. He has long ago gone to his reward. But the .25 auto, good or bad saved his life. It did just what it was designed to do.
Old March 18, 2019, 07:01 AM   #41
darkgael

.25 Auto problematic? Not at all. I have a little Baby Browning by Bernardelli...bought used of course. It has never ftf’d while I have had owned it. I feed it the standard 50 hrs. fMJs.
Old March 18, 2019, 10:03 AM   #42
noelf2

I have a 1908 vest pocket colt made in 1921. I've shot it with several kinds of ammo, including some old western super x ammo my dad had since the 1960's. Never a hickup. It's a hard gun to grip and shoot. I tend to squeeze with my whole hand until it fires.
Old March 18, 2019, 01:09 PM   #43
Bill DeShivs

darkgael-
Your Bernardelli is actually an improved copy of the Walther model 9, rather than the Browning. They are very fine little guns.
Old March 18, 2019, 02:47 PM   #44
darkgael

ok

Bill: thanks for that info. I did not know that (obviously).

Pete

Last edited by darkgael; March 18, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old March 18, 2019, 05:04 PM   #45
unclenunzie

My limited experience with several 25 autos is they are reliable when kept clean and properly lubed. Seecamp, Beretta jetfire 950BS, even a Gabilondo y Cia Eibar Ruby type.

I was kind of afraid to fire the Ruby because the rifling is severely pitted, but it was accurate and had almost no kick at all.
Old March 19, 2019, 12:32 PM   #46
Lexspeed

My Ortgies 25 has been pretty good. I think it will 100 percent once I replace the mag spring. I love shooting 25acp, but it's not my first choice for CCW.
Old March 19, 2019, 01:00 PM   #47
penak

I had a CZ45 which worked fine
Old March 22, 2019, 08:46 AM   #48
micromontenegro

You are limpwristing. 25s are like that. Hold it like you want to break it, and a Browning Baby is the most reliable pistol ever, LOL.
Old March 22, 2019, 03:56 PM   #49
dogtown tom

Quote:
micromontenegro You are limpwristing. 25s are like that. Hold it like you want to break it, and a Browning Baby is the most reliable pistol ever, LOL.
I have never gripped any pistol like that, much less any of my Baby Browning's…...and they are perfectly reliable.

In fact, I've held a Baby between thumb and index finger and fired it.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 25, 2019, 06:49 PM   #50
Carmady

Quote:
Interesting experiment, but not sure why you would want to shoot through a car door.
Because you're out of coconuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raJM8b4KXg0