The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2010, 09:19 AM   #26
spacecoast

Some pistols must be a lot more forgiving than others when it comes to minimum loads. Due to poor information on the Lee dipper powder charge card, I thought I was loading 5.7 grains of Unique under a 230 gr. RN lead bullet, but was only loading 4.3 grains, and it cycles just fine in my P345 (that's 32% less powder than I though I was using and 35% less than Alliant's published load). The same powder load, however, produced consistent stovepipes with a 185 gr. LSWC, so there is a lower limit (of course).

Last edited by spacecoast; September 3, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
I am not a fan of plated bullets since they are not fish or fowl but something in between, but they are cheap (or cheaper).
I find that if you think of them as clean lead bullets, you might like them a bit more. They are more expensive than lead but they allow you to shoot on indoor ranges that otherwise prohibit your cast lead. They never lead a handgun barrel up, they are decently accurate for me and they cost quite a bit less than jacketed bullets.

If you think about them like a poor man's jacketed bullet, you may not like them. But think of them like a better lead bullet and they seem to work well. Just my opinion.

I like 'em a lot and buy a heap of them from Berry's.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:20 AM   #28
darkgael

loads

The Lyman #48 manual shows max loads of 6.1 grains of W231 and 6.2 grains for two 200 LSWCs. If HP-38 and W231 are really the same, then your loads are safe according to that extapolation.
Pete
Old September 3, 2010, 10:34 AM   #29
spacecoast

Quote:
I like 'em a lot and buy a heap of them from Berry's
Same here, I don't want to take a chance on leading problems for anything over 900 fps, so I use them for all my 9mm loads, some .357s (along with JHPs for the hot ones) and for my warmer .380s as well. I had a few issues with not belling my cases enough early on, causing the plating to tear on insertion, but figured that out and have been extremely happy with the results.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:02 PM   #30
LDBennett

I shoot Rainier plated bullets in most all my guns but my 45ACP guns and 9mm guns usually get Winchester or Remington bulk FMJ bullets. They are less expensive than other packaged jacketed bullets but more than Rainier. The main reason I went back to FMJ bullets for 45ACP and 9mm semi-autos is that some of my semi-autos feed them better and more reliably.

LDBennett
Old September 3, 2010, 05:26 PM   #31
Nnobby45

Quote:
The ultimate speed of the bullet coming out of the barrel is only a very rough indication of the pressures in the chamber. It is unsafe to chronograph the load and adjust it to the required velocity.
I don't agree. Especially if you're talking about an increase in velocity for a specific pistol. The velocity and pressure are much more closely related than you indicate.

I agree with the latter. If neither velocity nor powder charge exceed the manual, then you're pretty safe. Of course, manuals are different. I've found that the Speer manual's data closely approximates the information from my chronograph, so that's the manual I use for .45ACP, 9mm and .40 cal. using the powders they list.