The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 25, 2007, 04:24 PM   #1
V4Vendetta

I'm looking for a good scope for AK-47 style rifle.

Now that I've got my safe, I'd like to get a scope for my AK. My eye's are getting worse so I'd like to have something for seeing farther than spitting distance. I have a SAR-1 if it matters.

Must be under $100.

This website appears to have some nice ones I think .

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html#akscope

EDIT: What does an Emerald coated lens do? What does "variable power mean? And what's a "Mil-dot estimating reticle"?

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.

Last edited by V4Vendetta; April 25, 2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: new question.
Old April 26, 2007, 05:27 PM   #2
V4Vendetta

No thoughts?

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old April 26, 2007, 05:35 PM   #3
fisherman66

I'm tempted to offer thoughts. I've written two messages and deleted them. I don't know if you'd like what I have to say. But I will qualify that statement with "I've never used a Leapers." Cheaper than dirt may have that model for a lower price.
Old April 26, 2007, 08:14 PM   #4
rfdillon

My eyes, too aren't getting any younger, but for a few dollars more, you can purchase a nice POSP 4X scope. Fits nicely on my SAR-1, holds zero when removed from the AK, has a built in rangefinding lit reticle, and mine is very well made, from Belarus, Russia. If you get one, make sure that you get the 4X model, with the bullet drop compensating reticle for the 7.62x39. There are several models for the 7.62x54, which are more powerful, but are not bullet drop compensated for 7.62x39.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Hedley

+1 to above. Spend the extra $50 or so to get a scope that was made for your rifle. It's an excellent scope for the money.
Old April 27, 2007, 03:44 AM   #6
mattgreennra

Personally I find using a scope on an AK would be wastefull. The Romanian one I shot was not accurate @ 100 yards. On another note, I have 2 cheap bushnell scopes (under $60 3-9x) and they work fine for the range. I had one of these fail and break from defect 2 years ago, told bushnell and they sent me a new one even though I had no paperwork from the original and it was at least 4-5 years old.
Old April 27, 2007, 10:09 AM   #7
V4Vendetta

Is this the one you guys were talking about?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP120-45496-2712.html

It looks nice. I'm a little bothered about it being used.

As far as AK's not needing a scope, I was told that my SAR1 was accurate out to about 300 yards.

Old April 27, 2007, 10:54 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

It depends

What kind of mount are you using? Dust cover, side plate, or forward/ultimak?

Without knowing more, an ultimak with a 1x ESD (dot sight) is the way to go.
Old April 27, 2007, 11:11 AM   #9
V4Vendetta

If you go to the following page, the very first rail mount is what I have.

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html#akscope

I figured I'd use the top rail for the scope & the side rail for my laser. However when I look at the "POSP 6x24 Russian Scope", I don't think from the picture that my idea would work.

EDIT:

This is what you guys are talking about when you talk about a scope that automaticly adjust for bullet drop.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/russ_posp_4x24.html

Last edited by V4Vendetta; April 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old April 27, 2007, 06:20 PM   #10
AK103K

If your rail is the first pic, your going to need either a Scout or pistol scope with an extended eye relief, or a red dot. A standard eye relief scope isnt going to work.

I agree with FirstFreedom, the Ultimak/red dot combo is the way to go. If yours is solid, and holds zero, it may work as well.