The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2020, 10:41 AM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Shooting Mat and Range Bag for Precision Rifle?

Took my first PRS course over the weekend. I had to lug a bunch of stuff up and down stairs in my hands and a plastic bag from Target. I had a rolling toolbox, but it wasn't very good for stairs.

I need a shooting mat and a good range bag. I'm not planning to wander around Alaska for a month and live in a tent, but I need to be able to get to a shooting tower without making 5 trips.

Now that I think about it, a good case or bag for an RPR will be necessary. Last time, I took the only case I had which would hold an LR-308 (the weapon I was using), and it was like a boxcar.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Swifty Morgan; June 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old June 30, 2020, 12:06 PM   #2
ocharry

swifty,,,i have a case that folds out into a padded shooting mat,,,,it has places inside to hold ammo,,shooting notes,and other things,,and a flap that will hold the legs of the bipod from sliding when loading it,,plus the rifle when zipped up,,,made of heavy cordura,,,and has pouches out side too,,,,plus it has a drag handle and back pack straps,,,i have used it a lot and it works really good for me,,,,it is also water resistant so if you are down on wet ground it will keep you dry,,,,i dont know who makes the thing,,,blackhawk maybe,,,condor,,,voodoo,,,,but it has been a pretty good investment for me,,,and it works really good

just a thought and my .02

ocharry
Old June 30, 2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Swifty Morgan

Thanks for the help. Are you really supposed to drag it?
Old June 30, 2020, 01:33 PM   #4
ocharry

lol,,,it has handles to carry it too,,plus the backpack straps to carry it like a backpack,,,but i guess if you were crawling around with it you could drag it....lol,,,i havent tried that part of it,,,but it is heavy duty enough i doubt it would hurt it,,,i really like the thing,,,for me anyway works pretty good

ocharry
Old June 30, 2020, 04:13 PM   #5
jmhyer

A quick google search pulled this up. It might be a good option for you in a combination rifle bag / shooting mat.
https://www.amazon.com/VISM-NcStar-R.../dp/B003OBGI3A

As far as just a range bag, I have been very happy with this one.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438366
It's rather large. There is a more compact version that is nice, too.
Old June 30, 2020, 04:54 PM   #6
ocharry

I use one of the small hard bottom tool bags,,, from home depot or lowes for a ammo bag,,, get a lot of stuff in there,, ammo and good binos,,,, I have an old 20x nikon spotting scope,,, it might fit in there,,, without the binos,,, it is kinda short,, never tried that,,, hmmm ,, may have to

Those big range bags get pretty heavy when you start loading them down with stuff you think you need,,,

I kinda like just the basic needs,,, but thats just me,,,, I dont need every geejaw little thing I own,,,, kinda like hunting,, basic stuff for me,,,,3-5 rounds and a knife and maybe a drag ,,, bout it for me,,, lol. The kISS method

Ocharry
Old June 30, 2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Swifty Morgan

I looked at a bunch of mats, and I thought about my experience with mats this weekend. I don't want one that heats up to welding temperature in the sun. I don't want thin foam. I don't want a mat that soaks up water. I don't want a bunch of junky snaps and things inside it to scrape my gun. It's amazing how just about every mat out there has a problem I know I don't want.

I'm going to give up and get a Crosstac. It will cost me, but it looks like the other stuff will get old fast.

I'm amazed Ruger sells a black mat. Think what that's like on a sunny day.

I think I'll get a Rangemaxx bag.
Old June 30, 2020, 09:39 PM   #8
ocharry

My bag is coyote tan....its not bad laying on it...but I agree a dark color in the sun will melt you down....the tan color isn't to bad....i dont think it matters what color its gonna be hot in the sun.....but the lighter color does help

Maybe take the course in the spring or fall would help.....I did a apple seed in July a few years back....whew it was dang hot on the line....but it was fun anyway...lol

I think now I want to try a class...but it will have to be under a cover...or in cooler weather

Ocharry