The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2020, 08:58 AM   #101
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, I don’t know about the rest of you but I have no trouble finding 9mm. Then again, I went out and gave it a good home when it was easy to find. And the stash is bigger because 9mm is more affordable to stash.
Old August 9, 2020, 11:25 AM   #102
Armybrat

Don’t shoot much any more, so my 1,100 round stash of 9mm should last a while.
And it does pop up on a few LGS shelves once in a while at relatively reasonable prices.
Old August 9, 2020, 03:16 PM   #103
mr bolo

if you always keep a reserve, you will never have to worry about any ammo shortages

this only affects people who dont stock up before this kind of stuff happens

I always pull out the old surplus bolt actions during these situations, still using ammo bought over 30 years ago
Old August 9, 2020, 05:14 PM   #104
Reloadron

Somewhere in this there is humor:
Quote:
So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"
Another myth shot down about the superiority of the 9mm over all the other pistol calibers. That being that ammo is always readily available everywhere for it. In times of panic, everything is in short supply so to be prepared, you have to have stock on hand, no matter what caliber you use.

That's why many of us who reload don't bother with the 9mm. We can load any caliber we want, any way we want. With a stock of components on hand, we can decide what type of ammo we will make when we make it. Plinking to powerhouse, the choice is ours. Not some bean counter's in an office deciding what he makes the most profit on.

I'm not knocking 9mm but just reminding all those who promote it as 'the best', that it's not, it's just a choice. There are many other calibers to choose from and each of us is entitled to our own choice.
Just about anyplace selling ammunition will have the most common calibers on the shelf like 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special and a few others. I am much more likely to find a box of 9mm on a store shelf or website than for example a box of 38 Super or .30 Luger. Whenever there is a panic induced shortage The most popular cartridges are the first to vanish and so goes the 9mm.

Then take a cartridge like 22 LR. Not quite something we can reload with ease. Poof and it's gone. Like the more popular cartridges so goes the more popular powders and other reloading components.

The only solution is maintain a decent inventory of what you shoot. When you see a good deal on something you use, buy it. I am not saying spend the house payment on ammunition but little by little build a reserve.

Ron
Old August 9, 2020, 06:54 PM   #105
PolarFBear

Just learn to reload. If it fits your personality it's fun and theraputic. Feel well set. 10,000 rounds of reloads from .50AE down to .32 acp. And, "sufficient" factory on hand. Plus components for another 4,000 rounds, mostly 45s. But, I'm always on the hunt for lead primers and brass. Can never have to much.
Old August 10, 2020, 03:49 AM   #106
raddadmike

I followed a rainbow and found a pot of it buried out back! Seriously though, I'm finding it even hard to find ball ammo now let alone something I'd really like working in my CCW.
Old August 10, 2020, 06:05 AM   #107
rodfac

gwpercle:
Quote:
...been reloading and casting bullets since 1967. After 2013 I saw this panic buying thing was going to happen at least every election year and I've watched the panic's happening again and again ...the herd spooks easily on social media ! I stocked up on enough powder , primers and brass to last me a lifetime . Made sure I had plenty of different styles bullet moulds and reloading tools for every firearm I own , might own or someone might give me . The ammo shortages , which will be happening every few years now , are not going to catch me with my pants down again
My experience to a "T". Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 13, 2020, 04:17 PM   #108
wild cat mccane

I couldn't think of something more boring and not worth my time than reloading.

It's a hobby as much as it's economical. I'd rather shoot Lawman at the range than anything hand loaded by anyone.
Old August 15, 2020, 11:45 AM   #109
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Not reloading does save a lot of time. Non-reloaders will save even more time the way things are going. Just think of all that time we reloaders will be wasting at the range shooting while you're home doing "honeydo" projects because you can't find ammo.
Old August 15, 2020, 11:56 AM   #110
dgang

Quote:

It's a hobby as much as it's economical. I'd rather shoot Lawman at the range than anything hand loaded by anyone.
It not only saves money but a reloader can put together the kind of ammo they want. IE: lite .357 mags or .38+p+ for use in a 17 oz. snub nose . Full power 170 gr, 180 gr.. .357 for hunting, low cost plated bullets for a .40. So much versatility. I will only shoot my reloads, don't trust other peoples.
Old August 16, 2020, 04:09 PM   #111
COSteve

Quote:

And you sir should stay as far away from the hobby as possible because you'd likely be dangerous doing it. However, for me and many others, it's a relaxing and enjoyable pastime making our own ammo. Trying new combinations to tune the ammo to the firearm and the use.

What's a painfully boring, absolutely useless hobby to me is golf. Why would anyone want to get up at the crack of dawn to knock a little ball in a series of holes? However, I agree it's one of the most popular men's hobbies so just because you don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't have value to others.
Old August 17, 2020, 08:28 AM   #112
rodfac

Quote:
Not reloading does save a lot of time. Non-reloaders will save even more time the way things are going. Just think of all that time we reloaders will be wasting at the range shooting while you're home doing "honeydo" projects because you can't find ammo.
WELL SAID....but to each his own, With my casting equipment, garnered over 50+ years of shooting, I can shoot most big bore, center fire for less than 7 cents a shot. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 17, 2020, 11:23 AM   #113
wild cat mccane

Meh. Just an opinion related to firearms that reloading sounds terribly boring.
Old August 17, 2020, 01:31 PM   #114
seanc

I'm just mad that so many people are still showing up at the range. Each week, I expect to see fewer and fewer people as supplies dry up, but it seems more crowded than ever. I am seeing more interesting cases when picking up my brass. Surprised by how much 38 Super is being shot. Hadn't picked up any before.
Old August 17, 2020, 01:40 PM   #115
dgang

Lot of .32, .25 and some steel cased 9x18 and 9x17. People digging deep.
Old August 17, 2020, 01:56 PM   #116
dgang

Went shooting yesterday at the local indoor range and had a gentleman ask if he could have my 9mm brass. Since I don't reload 9mm told him he was welcome to them but please don't take the .380 and .40 S&W. At the end of the session he came up and presented me with the .380 and .40s sorted and in two bags. Shortages do have some advantages.
Old August 17, 2020, 03:44 PM   #117
seanc

Got all my 45 cases back, down 4 on 380. Almost ruined my day! I've got so much 9mm brass, I don't even count it.
Old August 17, 2020, 06:22 PM   #118
1911_Hardball

Quote:
It can be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
One man's boring is another's Zen.
Quote:
zen : a state of calm attentiveness in which one's actions are guided by intuition rather than by conscious effort
Perhaps that is the zen of gardening—you become one with the plants, lost in the rhythm of the tasks at hand.
— Irene Virag
Old August 17, 2020, 07:55 PM   #119
COSteve

Quote:
As with others that feel that way. Step away from the machine and don't touch it. Each of us has our interests. I for one can't think of another thing that's as boring as golf. Chasing a little ball around and smacking it into a hole to just pick it up and do it again is painful to me.

However, to each their own. For me, handloading is a relaxing hobby that is as satisfying as anything I've done. Add to that the fact that it saves me money, big money, and it's a perfect hobby for me. Different strokes for different folks but I don't know of another hobby that can save you money, not cost you money. How much? For me, it's been just over $29,000.

Yep, subtracting the cost of components, reloading equipment, consumables, and everything else, the savings on 270,000 plus rds of ammo I've made in the last 18 years (when compared to Win White Box level basic ammo) is over $29,000 and I can't think of another hobby I like better as well.

Over $29,000! That's enough to buy a small car and I have a 1st class Dillon XL750 with casefeeder equipped to reload 7 straight walled pistol and 9 necked rifle calibers that, if purchased today new would cost over $6,500.

Old August 17, 2020, 08:09 PM   #120
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
As with others that feel that way. Step away from the machine and don't touch it. Each of us has our interests. I for one can't think of another thing that's as boring as golf. Chasing a little ball around and smacking it into a hole to just pick it up and do it again is painful to me.

However, to each their own. For me, handloading is a relaxing hobby that is as satisfying as anything I've done. Add to that the fact that it saves me money, big money, and it's a perfect hobby for me. Different strokes for different folks but I don't know of another hobby that can save you money, not cost you money. How much? For me, it's been just over $29,000.

Yep, subtracting the cost of components, reloading equipment, consumables, and everything else, the savings on 270,000 plus rds of ammo I've made in the last 18 years (when compared to Win White Box level basic ammo) is over $29,000 and I can't think of another hobby I like better as well.

Over $29,000! That's enough to buy a small car and I have a 1st class Dillon XL750 with casefeeder equipped to reload 7 straight walled pistol and 9 necked rifle calibers that, if purchased today new would cost over $6,500.

For $29,000 you could buy a nice bass boat.

Or you could buy a really nice 2017-18 Chevy Silverado Z71.

Oh, and btw, that is a great-looking set-up you have there. Much cleaner than mine ever was or will be.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; August 17, 2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old August 18, 2020, 05:09 AM   #121
jetinteriorguy

Wow, that is a primo setup there. I’m inspired, new winter project for me.
Old August 18, 2020, 10:13 AM   #122
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It not only saves money but a reloader can put together the kind of ammo they want.
Reloading only seems to save people money when their time has no $$ value. Now, I understand that the comeback argument is "Well, I enjoy it, so it is time well spent." That is great, but that doesn't change the equation that you are not assigning a $ value to the time spent doing the job. A buddy of mine does the same thing working on his car. He can spend the entire weekend changing out something on his car and save $100 doing it, basically working at well below minimum wage, LOL.

I have lost several shooter friends to reloading and the hours they spend "working up" loads, doing ladder testing, grubbing around on the ground to find spent cases to examine for "signs," or to snarf up other people's abandoned brass.

My point here is that time we spent shooting together is gone. They still only have a limited amount of time, and a big part of it ends up being to do stuff other than shooting. As near as I can tell, they reason they are saving so much money is because they are actually shooting a whole lot less.

I must admit, reloading has given them a whole new encyclopedia of excuses for poor accuracy of shots, malfunctions, and the like.

However, getting back to the topic of the 9mm and shortages, I don't see where reloading is any more of a buffer to shortages than loaded ammunition. How many threads have we had about people who could not find primers or powder due to shortages? The bottom line is that either you have the materials on-hand before the shortage occurs, or you suffer, regardless of whether it is loaded ammo or components.
Old August 18, 2020, 12:13 PM   #123
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
Reloading only seems to save people money when their time has no $$ value. Now, I understand that the comeback argument is "Well, I enjoy it, so it is time well spent." That is great, but that doesn't change the equation that you are not assigning a $ value to the time spent doing the job. A buddy of mine does the same thing working on his car. He can spend the entire weekend changing out something on his car and save $100 doing it, basically working at well below minimum wage, LOL.

I have lost several shooter friends to reloading and the hours they spend "working up" loads, doing ladder testing, grubbing around on the ground to find spent cases to examine for "signs," or to snarf up other people's abandoned brass.

My point here is that time we spent shooting together is gone. They still only have a limited amount of time, and a big part of it ends up being to do stuff other than shooting. As near as I can tell, they reason they are saving so much money is because they are actually shooting a whole lot less.
IMHO, the "time is money" argument is valid only if someone is using time for reloading that they would otherwise be using to earn money. If a person puts in a full day's work for five (or six) days a week and reloads in their free time, that time isn't costing them any more than it would if they spent their free time playing golf, building birdhouses, watching the television, or just daydreaming.
Jeepaholic
Old August 18, 2020, 12:34 PM   #124
dgang

This is a discussion that is going nowhere. People do what they enjoy doing, no matter what it is. If you have a hobby that connects to another enjoyable pastime ( shooting) more power to you. I doubt if anybody reloads just to save money. It is the "zen", as pointed out by -1911 Hardball- that some of us enjoy and the ability to produce a workable object to our specifications that has the appeal. If you don't like it, don't do it. Pretty easy.
Old August 18, 2020, 01:12 PM   #125
wild cat mccane

Na.

There was a good comment just back a bit ago. Primers disappear just like 22lr did or normal manufactured rounds. Reloading without stocked components isn't the answer. At one point last year rounds were $7 for a box of Federal/S&B/Blazer.

To add to the convo, I know for a fact Federal/Speer is loading 9mm exclusively right now.

At some point, other manufactured bullets will dry up for reloaders too.