The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 26, 2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Prof Young

A rightie shooting southpaw . . . .

Shooters:
My CC renewal class instructor suggest to us all that we'd do well, in terms of SD, to learn to shoot with our non-dominant hand. He even had us practice a drill where we switched hands to make better use of cover. So, since then I've been spending time shooting with my left hand each time I go to the range. It still feels very strange, but . . .

Beyond practice, practice, practice . . . if you have any tips . . . I'm listening.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 26, 2020, 08:55 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Put a little cant on the gun in the off hand.
Old July 27, 2020, 05:07 AM   #3
Hal

Quote:
Beyond practice, practice, practice . . . if you have any tips . . . I'm listening
Just adhere to the basics. Sight picture - trigger squeeze.
Strictly adhere to the basics. Cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "Is" - basics.
Fixate on the basics - until they become second nature.
Practice the basics - even when you don't have a gun in your hand - just imagine you have one - and go over the basics.

You WILL find - that once you get into that habit - you WILL shoot far more accurately weak hand than you do strong hand.

Possibly the best thing about shooting weak hand is - you can put everything else about shooting out of your mind and concentrate on hitting the target.

I can't recall the writer that offered up that tip years ago in one of the shooting rags - but - kudos to who ever it was since I've been doing that for decades.
Old July 27, 2020, 05:49 PM   #4
RickB

I've been shooting practical competition for twenty years, and a lot of matches include some weak-hand shooting, so I get practice with it, whether I want to, or not.

Agree on canting the gun inward slightly; helps align the gun with the dominant eye, and apparently also helps with support structure.

I've found that my strong-hand finger position on the trigger is not really "natural", and if I try to squeeze the trigger using the same part of my off-hand finger, about half-way between the tip and the joint, I throw the shots off; going deeper into the trigger, to the joint, helps *me* pull the trigger straight back when shooting weak-hand.
Old July 27, 2020, 09:46 PM   #5
Blue Duck

If you find yourself hitting at a different point of impact, when shooting opposite hand, it's probably not grip, and not sight picture, it's usually trigger control. Go back to aimed slow fire, and concentrate on getting a clean break on the trigger. I got this advice from Bill Wilson, at a IDPA match conversation, one time. He was dead right, at least in my case.
Old July 28, 2020, 12:44 AM   #6
1MoreFord

Dry fire weak handed. Regularly.
Old July 28, 2020, 04:25 AM   #7
Hal

Quote:
Agree on canting the gun inward slightly; helps align the gun with the dominant eye,
That assumes your right eye is dominant.
That's not always the case.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #8
mchapman

Normally, not always, a right hand shooter is right eye dominate and the opposite is usually the case for left handed shooters. It is always best to shoot with both eyes open to see field of view and for transitions, but when trying left hand for a right hand shooter try closing your right eye and use your left eye to align the sights, assuming that your grip and trigger control is good, I think that you will be more accurate trying this. Then the practice, practice practice comes in to play.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #9
Hal

Quote:
Normally, not always, a right hand shooter is right eye dominate and the opposite is usually the case for left handed shooters
Okie dokie - I had to look this up because I thought the figures were much closer.

65% have the same dominant eye as hand.
18% are cross dominant.
17% show no preference.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #10
SIGSHR

Dean Grennell wrote that he took advantage of the access he had to guns and ammunition as a WWII gunnery instructor to practice weak hand shooting, said took him two weeks to become as proficient as with his dominant hand.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #11
dannyb

I started pistol shooting with bullseye rules - 1 handed. Later I started PPC which requires using both dominant and nondominant hand. I practice both hands regularly and always one handed.

I've found that one-handed shooting means less exposure when shooting from cover, and also that I don't have to hesitate as to whether to drop the bag with eggs (always carry bags in left hand, prefer shopping cart anyway) when drawing and getting ready to fire if needed. Left hand one handed means that I don't have to cross the hall in my home if I'm covering the stairs from my bedroom door.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchapman
Normally, not always, a right hand shooter is right eye dominate and the opposite is usually the case for left handed shooters.
I just did an NRA Basic Pistol class for three people. The class includes an exercise to allow students to determine their dominant eye.

Three students. All right-handed. All three were left eye dominant.

Never generalize.
Jeepaholic