The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 21, 2020, 03:59 PM   #51
buck460XVR

It would take a 'ell of a flinch to make for a 5" spread at 25 yards with a scoped rifle, that has been proven to be accurate otherwise. My boys both shot lightwight 30-06 bolt guns when they were 12 years old and didn't have those kind of spreads @ 100yards. Again, if the scope is fuzzy to the OP, that may be the issue with the owner too. My 9 year old grand-daughter has been practicing with my 77/44 for the upcoming youth deer season. She has been shooting hunting loads that in comparison, probably recoil as much relatively to her, as the ought six does to the owner in the OP. She is doing 2-3 inches @ 100 yards with the lil' Ruger(about all it's really capable of). I'm gonna guess the OP's friend can't shoot a ,22 any better than his ought-six.
Old August 24, 2020, 08:36 PM   #52
jimbob86

Quote:
Recoil of a 9.5lb Garand isn't too bad, even with its steel buttplate. Go down to a 7lb bolt gun and it gets much more noticeable.
If the loads are the same, it won't be drastic. The thing is, most modern hunting ammo would bend the op rod if fired in a Garand ........ The GI M2 ball loading is pretty mild compared to premium hunting ammo loadings ......
Old August 25, 2020, 03:46 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If the loads are the same, it won't be drastic.
I suppose "drastic" is in the eye of the beholder/shoulder of the shooter. For me, changing the weight of the rifle by about 20%, up or down makes a noticeable difference.

As to the op rod on a Garand, if you put jet fuel in your deuce and a half, you're going to wreck the engine. its not the fault of the truck, its the fault of the guy who fills the tank....
Old August 25, 2020, 10:04 PM   #54
jimbob86

Pretty sure a Duece and a Half would run just fine on jet fuel, turpentine, coal oil, concentrated woodsmoke, or the breath of the average troopie in the motor pool during a 0300 Sunday Alert......