The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 8, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1
QuarterHorse

3 Gun Question for you competetors

What caliber are you guys running for your pistol? I'm looking at doing a couple of matches and am in need of a pistol. I'm looking at keeping it familiar and getting another XDm and their 5.25 Comp model is what I'm leaning towards. The typical "young man" part of me says get the 45ACP but the as I age "wiser" part of me is saying go with the 9mm due to the extra 6 rounds of capacity.

What are you guys shooting and why?

Thanks!
Old September 8, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
GJSchulze

I shoot USPSA and IDPA. I love my XDm 9mm 5.25. I have several thousand rounds through it and it's been very reliable.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:10 PM   #3
QuarterHorse

I've been leaning towards 9 as well, just was unsure of the disadvantages of doing so.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
GJSchulze

I'm not sure what the rules are for 3-gun. If PF is an issue, I don't think you can make major safely.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
g.willikers

If you are new to competition, the caliber, and the capacity, are of minimal concern.
Get the one that you shoot the best and the one you will shoot the most - especially for practice.
If you don't reload, then 9mm will be the obvious choice.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
GJSchulze

Quote:
If you don't reload, then 9mm will be the obvious choice
At the prices of 9mm ammo ($15 for Tula; $20 for Blazer) 9mm is still cheaper than 45, but more than ever it's worth reloading for.

If you live in a state where you can rent pistols at a range, then find one that has the XDm 9mm. When they first came out SA was loaning them to a lot of ranges. If you live in NY (like me), then go to PA to find one.
Old September 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
RickB

Don't just about all the 3-gun rules score all pistols as minor? If so, no reason to shoot anything but a hi-cap 9mm. When I shot USPSA Limited, you could shoot minor rifle and major pistol, so I used the same .45 that I shot in Limited 10 pistol competition, but if I were going to start shooting 3-gun today, I'd want the capacity and low(er) cost of a 9.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
QuarterHorse

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm set up to reload both 9 and 45. I wasn't sure of the rules as well as far as major/minor but figured someone would chime in that competes.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!
Old September 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Chinny33

9mm

3 gun is DOMINATED by 9mm.

the only people who dont use 9mms are typically in the heavy metal divisions

Ive seen people bring their 45s, but they are not playing to win anything, which is fine too.
Proverbs 27:12
Old September 9, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
QuarterHorse

I'm not planning on winning anything, just keeping sharp. I work 55+ hours a week so professional anything other than what I'm doing is out of the cards amongst having family time.
3 Gun just looks like fun and frankly the local competitions I'm doing are getting me into more types of shooting. 3 Gun is just picking up here recently in Iowa.
That being said, I was fairly certain I was going with 9mm anyway, this is just the shove I need. I've got a call into the shop I do most of my buying from on getting me a "best buy" price on an AR and XDm 5.25 Comp in 9mm.
I've read a lot of negative on the Mossberg 930JM, are they still having issues?
Old September 13, 2013, 08:15 PM   #11
QuarterHorse

Picking up my XDm 5.25 Competition in 9mm next Thursday. That weekend I'm going to a friends to shoot a match that I was just going to take a 1911 to. Now I'll go try out the Springer! I also just loaded up some rounds to try out in my current 9mm XD that are a little softer shooting. Results after Sunday for those and my softer 45's.