The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2018, 05:45 AM   #1
chasep255

Broken case extractor for 43 Mauser.

I was shooting my 71/84 Mauser yesterday when I had a case cleanly separate at the shoulder. I had this happen once before but the separation was not clean and the brass left behind in my chamber was somewhat crinkled. Therefore I was able to get a grip on it and push it out with my cleaning jag. Yesterdays separation left the neck perfectly formed to the camber so I was unable to get a grip on it with my cleaning rod. I brought it to a gunsmith and he managed to get it out using some special tool. This kind of separation is likely to happen again and I would rather not have to go to a gunsmith each time. I have seen broken case extractor kits online, but they are all for specific cartridges and not general calibers. I doubt anyone makes a 43 Mauser specific extractor. Does anyone know of a tool I can use to clear broken cases? Maybe something that can grip 44/45 is caliber cases and let me push it out with my cleaning rod.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:41 AM   #2
WarPig1976

Cerrosafe is the universal case remover.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...y-prod384.aspx

To remove a case, use the product as per the directions for casting the chamber. When you knock the slug out the case comes out with it. Re-melt to remove the piece of brass. Store for future use......
Old January 21, 2018, 10:38 AM   #3
HiBC

Generally(but maybe not always) the brass is not all that stuck.

The broken shell extractor is a lot like an internal collet,with a step on the very end to catch the case mouth.Its split to allow it to spring,collapse a bit to allow insertion.

I'll tell you what works pretty good,most of the time.

Have you ever tried to reverse direction with a bore brush? It grabs pretty tight.

I don't know the best size for your application,but maybe a .44 cal.NOT stainless!

Maybe use a handgun cleaning rod,if you have one,or the handle section of a segmented rod.Just be sure you have good thread engagement with the brush. You are going to pull on it.
Push the brush ,from the breech,up inside the case,then reverse direction and it should pull the case out.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...that can grip 44/45 is caliber cases..." You need to grab inside of the case, not the bullet/neck.
Try a 1/2" or 9/16" tap. The .43's OD base diameter(at the rim) is .516". 9/16" is .562". A 9/16" screw/bolt should work too.
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd1115x60r.jpg
Old January 21, 2018, 06:59 PM   #5
chasep255

My case actually broke at the neck so I would need something in the 45 cal range. Next time it happens I think I will give the bore brush a try.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:49 PM   #6
HiBC

Quote:
The .43's OD base diameter(at the rim) is .516". 9/16" is .562". A 9/16" screw/bolt should work too.
Hmmm? Base dia at the rim is .516 ? So,the chamber is pretty close to that.And you want to go in with a .562 tap?. If you can get the tap to start,you will be cutting threads in chamber steel. FWIW,remember chambers are usually tapered. I would not risk using a 1/2 in (.500) tap.

I have successfully used a tap to extract a stuck case from a sizing die.The case head had ripped off at a stretch ring.It worked fine,
but great care must be used to ensure the tap cannot deflect into the chamber wall.

Generally,I'd leave the tap method to experienced machinists.

And a brush is usually enough.

I have not used the Cerro-Safe on a case extraction myself,but it sounds like a plan that will work.
Old January 23, 2018, 01:20 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...chambers are usually tapered..." So are taps and screws. However, the "broke at the neck" part negates using a tap or screw anyway. A 1/4" brass rod might pop the thing out from the muzzle end. Brass will not bother steel.
Old January 23, 2018, 02:07 PM   #8
HiBC

??? Yes,OHeir,the case is tapered,that means the case and the chamber get SMALLER as you go in.

If You start with a .512 chamber mouth,and go in with a .562 tap,you will be cutting threads in steel .050larger than the chamber.

Its one of those higher shop math things.

Snicker
Old January 24, 2018, 12:27 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cerrosafe. Stuff the area beyond the obstruction with wadded up paper towel first.

Tags
black powder , bpcr , broken case , case head seperation