The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2018, 11:44 AM   #1
USSR

Timely Topic - Price of Ammo going up.

Of course, the main stream media not knowing the difference, calls ammo "bullets". Have been watching the price of commodities (brass and lead) go up, up, and up over the past 6 month, so this was bound to happen.

Don

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/econ.../16/id/843757/
Old February 16, 2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

I do not know where this info is coming from, but I sure have been paying less. Just ordered about 5,000 rounds in the past month at bargin prices with free shipping.
Old February 16, 2018, 12:16 PM   #3
USSR

I suspect the retailers are selling stuff they've had on their hands for awhile. I also have found good deals out there. However, once the retailers go thru their old stock and need to be replenished by the distributors, I imagine things will be different.

Don
Old February 16, 2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

After the last shortage, I have seriously stocked up.

A few things have changed in my life and so I don't frequent the range quite as much as I have in previous recent years. (Although I went out today )

Between the two (huge supply; decreased demand), I may well have a lifetime supply of just about everything.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:19 PM   #5
hounddawg

Don't think so. I was looking to replace my LC .223 with Lapua and found loaded Lapua's for the same price as the empty cases
Old February 16, 2018, 09:12 PM   #6
BigJimP

No, I think the long term trends ...are that it will stay the same or go down a little ...its not just raw material ....its competition, improvements in machinery, marketing, labor, shippjng, etc...that have,an impact.

The last shortage was made much worse by hoarding....and we sure do not want to go down that path again. ( I continue to chuckle every time I hear about a "profiteer - that accumulated thousands of rounds...expecting to make a huge profit down the road"....and now he can't even break even...)....
Old February 17, 2018, 07:43 PM   #7
USSR

Actually, the "hoarding" is going on right now. Anybody that was stockpiling during the last drought is a fool. You stockup when the prices are low, not high.

Don
Old February 17, 2018, 07:59 PM   #8
JeepHammer

I just ordered .224 bullets (10,000 not enough for any deep discounts) and got a screaming g good price on them...
Old February 17, 2018, 08:25 PM   #9
gw44

I load my own, powder and bullets have gone up a little, not bad !
Old February 17, 2018, 08:39 PM   #10
USSR

Yeah, I'm stocking up as well. Recently got 8k of .22 rimfire and 10k of primers.

Don
Old February 17, 2018, 09:05 PM   #11
hounddawg

these threads are as predictable as a sunrise, every time a shooting makes news certain individuals start seeing shortages that no one else does and urge people to hoard. Kind of makes one wonder about motives
Old February 17, 2018, 09:11 PM   #12
USSR

hounddawg,

Nobody's talking about a shortage or a shooting. Supplies are plentiful. Simply talking about what the future holds what with companies having trouble making ends meet (Remington filed for bankrupcy) and the current high commodity prices.

Don
Old February 17, 2018, 09:41 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Since availability is good right now and prices are fair, now is the time to stock up if you haven't already done so. There will be future shortages. A lot of people got angry and blamed the, "speculators", and, "hoarders", when they couldn't get ammo or components, when, in fact, it was their own fault for not preparing ahead of time. While I have never bought ammo to re-sell, that is the nature of free-enterprise. We all were without excuse at the last shortage as there was another one just a short while before. Politics has a huge effect on the supply and demand for these products. We absolutely cannot count on being able to go down a pickup a box or two of ammo for an anticipated event this weekend. And yet, we already take it for granted. I know I can go down right now and buy more. So maybe I don't. And then one day, I will wish I had. Maybe I'll get angry and demonize others for my lack....
Old February 17, 2018, 10:18 PM   #14
hounddawg

Quote:
hounddawg,

Nobody's talking about a shortage or a shooting. Supplies are plentiful. Simply talking about what the future holds what with companies having trouble making ends meet (Remington filed for bankrupcy) and the current high commodity prices.
Then I apologize. Perhaps it is just inflation, I don't see much of a price increase really. Now if you were talking hamburger and beer yes there has been a price increase
Old February 18, 2018, 03:57 PM   #15
Salmoneye

Lead has gone from ~$1.00/lb to ~$1.20/lb over the last five years...

Copper is still about .50¢/lb less than where it was 5 years ago...
Old February 18, 2018, 04:00 PM   #16
zipspyder

Prices seem about the same to me...
Old February 18, 2018, 04:53 PM   #17
USSR

The gist of this is not what prices are now (they are low and availability is high), but rather what they may be when the retailers have exhausted their inventory and need to reorder from their distributors. I highly encourage everyone to buy now.

Don