The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 6, 2018, 04:07 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

New wood stocks for 3" LCRX .38 special

Just finished making some American Walnut stocks for my favorite 3" Ruger LCRX. Could not find anyone that made target type stocks or full combat stocks for this revolver, so designed my own. These will help to bring out what this gun can be, a fun range gun, OWB woods gun, and with the adjustable sights, an excellent target pistol (with the 3" barrel, it's no longer a real candidate for pocket carry, and the size of the gun is almost mid size)

Styled a little after the Nill grips.
They are a one piece slip on with screws on both the sides and bottom.
(Inletted the two panels and glued them together and shaped)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04817.JPG (212.2 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04815.JPG (203.0 KB, 509 views)
Old February 6, 2018, 04:11 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Here's a view from the rear. Ample palm swell, slight thumb rest relieved for speed loaders and narrow bottom for carry.
Also has a slight overhang at the top with a relief for the single action hammer throw.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04818.JPG (222.6 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04819.JPG (223.1 KB, 499 views)
Old February 6, 2018, 04:16 PM   #3
tubeshooter

Very well done, sir.

I think it improves the overall appearance of the gun quite a bit.
Old February 6, 2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Northof50

You're not helping me curb my desire for "immediate gratification" to get one of these :-)

Very nice. Did you hand carve or use some power tools?
Old February 6, 2018, 05:27 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Power tools.
Router for inletting, bandsaw for cutting to shape, a horizontal sanding mandrel on a stand that I designed for discs and drum sanding, dremel for stippling. But all hand sanded.
Old February 6, 2018, 05:35 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Those are really nice, they look professionally made. I think they'd be a perfect choice if Ruger ever made 4, 5, or 6 inch barrel LCRx revolvers.

But for 2 and 3 inches, I think their stock grips are fine. I'm especially looking forward to Pachmyer releasing the Guardian Grips. They're supposed to be coming out with them for the LCR's in a few months.

EDIT: They are apparently available now.

Last edited by TruthTellers; February 6, 2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 6, 2018, 11:55 PM   #7
kymasabe

I'd buy those grips. Let us know when you make more, I want a set.
Old February 7, 2018, 07:26 AM   #8
mk70ss

Pretty damn slick. You did a great job with those!!
Old February 8, 2018, 05:30 AM   #9
Cosmodragoon

This plastic gun looks surprisingly good with those wood stocks. In fact... dare I say it? It's beautiful. Thanks for showing me something new.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:54 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Great job. I do think that makes the gun look very nice. Not old Colt bluing nice, but at least as good as anything the manufacturers are dumping off their lines these days.
As a rule any sort of accessory or customization of a firearm adds little to no value to a gun and may drop it if not easily reversed. These definitely add value by my estimation.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

Very nice craftsmanship. Well done.
But, and there is always a but.
Personally I think the look rather out of place on that Tupperware frame.
Now on something like an SP101, which I think are in desperate need of a grip upgrade it would be a whole other opinion.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 8, 2018, 12:06 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

Thanks everyone for the compliments and comments.

Since the grips cover much of the "tupperware" grip frame, and the upper body is aluminum and steel, It's only a 1/5 tupperware gun! If I made a tooled leather holster that covers most of the gun with the grips showing, I could almost wear it to the BBQ.

It's a strange beast. At first glance it's about the size of a mid size gun. But when you pick it up, it's light as a feather. The adjustable sights allow it great potential as a range target gun, woods gun. The single action is crisp and nice. Will be putting this through its paces in the next few weeks.

My brothers coming up to visit and leaving the chrono, so will be able to test a wide variance of loads through this. I have some powder puff fun range loads with Trail boss powder up to the heaviest +P Buffalobore 158 grain hard cast loads.

I had to adjust 7 clicks up for the 125 grain powderpuff loads from the midrange 158 grain loads.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:15 PM   #13
greenmtnguy

Those look great - wonderful job!! I've been thinking of getting one of these LCRx models for backpacking, etc. and if they came with grips like this from the factory I'd have got one already!
Well done - you really could sell these, I think, if you were so inclined.
Old February 9, 2018, 01:07 AM   #14
Hammerhead

Great job, really nice
Old February 10, 2018, 06:43 PM   #15
briandg

nice.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:42 PM   #16
Cosmodragoon

I've been thinking of getting one of these for a long time and seeing it with these grips has me convinced. I've carried a regular LCR for years and it's my favorite pocket gun. With the longer barrel, exposed hammer, and full grips; this should be a dandy kit gun. Now, if they'll only release the longer barrel in .327 Federal...
Old February 11, 2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Damon555

Boy oh boy they look great! The LCR's are ugly as can be IMO but your grips make the gun look really nice.....You sir have some skills!.....Thanks for sharing
Old February 11, 2018, 01:34 PM   #18
HighValleyRanch

thanks everyone. In the future, I'll play around with some other designs. As I tried to decide on what design to shape these grips, I came across the Farrant grips which have a narrow bottom so they are more like an upside down vase shape. These started off more like a plow handle and got tapeded a little more to be more like a boot grip.

cosmodragoon, I'm hoping they'll come out with this in .357 magnum. Then I would be in heaven!